Speakers

itsevolutionbabyitsevolutionbaby Posts: 144
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok experts out there, I have a cheap MG series 4x12 Marshall cabinet that I am considering upgrading. I was thinking of just replacing it with an Orange cab, but a cool G for a cab seems a bit excessive. I can obviously switch out the speakers I have now (which are celestion, but I assume are the cheapest ones they make) for Vintage 30 Celestions, but would it make that much difference? Any other suggestions in the same price range as the V30's? Greenbacks? or Just replace the whole thing....
What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    oh wow, there are a ton of ways you can go.

what kind of sound are you looking to achieve, what head are you running with it etc?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I currently have a Marshall JCM 900 50watt head. I know, I know, not the best thing that they have ever produced. The clean channel is decent, and with the pedals I have now, I can get some useable tones. I guess that adds to my over all question, Do I really want to scrap the whole rig, and get a new amp? Would replacing speakers enhance my current setup, and if so, how much? I would like warm (relatively clear) clean sounds, and a nice warm and fuzzy overdrive (shannon od helps here).
    I currently have a Marshall JCM 900 50watt head. I know, I know, not the best thing that they have ever produced. The clean channel is decent, and with the pedals I have now, I can get some useable tones. I guess that adds to my over all question, Do I really want to scrap the whole rig, and get a new amp? Would replacing speakers enhance my current setup, and if so, how much? I would like warm (relatively clear) clean sounds, and a nice warm and fuzzy overdrive (shannon od helps here).

Whoa Whoa, wait a minute. That's a pretty good amp head, don't give up on it. Hell those have exuded some of our favorite tones on this board. Sure that's a smaller cab and it's not built of the most favorable materials but again, let's not throw it away. You have a great rig, it just may need a little tweaking. Tom Morello has used a 50 watt Marshall and a smaller Peavy cab for oh 20 years and he's got rediculously good tone for his music. Definately replacing speakers will enhance your current setup. The question is whether it's worth selling the cab you have now, and going with something like Avatar with better speakers and wood or whether you can just swap them out more cheaply.

I think I might talk to ted weber about it. you can e-mail him at http://www.tedweber.com he sells both his own and eminence speakers.

Talk to the guys at Avatar too, they sell celestions, and then maybe look into scumbacks and tone tubbies too.

I think the Vintage 30 is a great all around speaker and it will sound better with your rig, but I bet greenbacks would sound better in your setup if you go with celestions. Somewhere in the 25 to 30 watt range (heritage 30's hellatones...) I think you want a little more cone action than with the V30's a little more hair. You'll get a bit less clarity though. But Ted Weber, the folks at celestion, and eminence know a bunch more than I do.

since it may cost you about 400 bucks to put new speakers in it, it may make more sense to sell it and go with a new cab from Avatar or Weber, or something off EBay or Marshall etc.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    ...Tom Morello has used a 50 watt Marshall and a smaller Peavy cab for oh 20 years and he's got rediculously good tone for his music...

was reading in Guitar Player a few months back, on Tom morellos tone. He settled for his tone, and just gave up on achieving what he actually heard in his head...just a bit of insight. but yeah, the JCM 900 are pretty dope, im allways on the lookout for an 800/900

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • I found a few reviews on HC that had really good results pairing the greenbacks up top, and the vintage 30s on the bottom. maybe this is the direction I'll go in. I guess the speakers voicings are fairly complimentary? If I replace the cabinet all together it will probably lead me in the direction of selling it all, and finally getting that 30watt orange. however, I just spent 3k on a lpc, and if I show up with a new amp in the next few months, my wife will really freak out. Not to mention the pearl jam tour will be this summer,and I will have to cough up money for tickets in the next month or so. 400 bucks ok, 1-2k not ok.
    I found a few reviews on HC that had really good results pairing the greenbacks up top, and the vintage 30s on the bottom. maybe this is the direction I'll go in. I guess the speakers voicings are fairly complimentary? If I replace the cabinet all together it will probably lead me in the direction of selling it all, and finally getting that 30watt orange. however, I just spent 3k on a lpc, and if I show up with a new amp in the next few months, my wife will really freak out. Not to mention the pearl jam tour will be this summer,and I will have to cough up money for tickets in the next month or so. 400 bucks ok, 1-2k not ok.

true true, yeah, the voicing is somewhat complimentary you get earlier break up from the GB's on top and looser bass, and then tighter bass and mids from the Vintage 30's also a little more power. It's a good combo. Heritage 30's and greenbacks are also matched up, or you can go heritage 30 and vintage 30, it just depends on the flavor you want.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Vintage 30's will hold off on breakup better than the Greenbacks, so if preserving clean tone is a priority, Greenbacks are less desirable. Of course, with a 50-watt head, you probably wouldn't get to the breakup point unless you cranked your amp, which means the signal would be dirty before it got to the speakers. Eh, six of one, half-dozen of the other.

If you want a slightly cheaper alternative to the Celestion route, Eminence Governors are modeled after the Vintage 30, and sound impressive. They're $30 cheaper apiece compared to V30's new, and you could probably find them used on fleabay for cheaper than that (I've seen 4 sell for $200). Food for thought, anyways...

I'll say this, Orange cabs are the toughest and beefiest around. An Orange 2x12 would make you a very happy player.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Vintage 30's will hold off on breakup better than the Greenbacks, so if preserving clean tone is a priority, Greenbacks are less desirable. Of course, with a 50-watt head, you probably wouldn't get to the breakup point unless you cranked your amp, which means the signal would be dirty before it got to the speakers. Eh, six of one, half-dozen of the other.

If you want a slightly cheaper alternative to the Celestion route, Eminence Governors are modeled after the Vintage 30, and sound impressive. They're $30 cheaper apiece compared to V30's new, and you could probably find them used on fleabay for cheaper than that (I've seen 4 sell for $200). Food for thought, anyways...

I'll say this, Orange cabs are the toughest and beefiest around. An Orange 2x12 would make you a very happy player.

The guy from "Ten Band" is using a Rocker 50 into an orange 2x12 (more than likely twin V30's with a Fulldrive2. and he sounds fantastic. Of course I'm partial to the naranja sound.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd just about kill for an Orange 2x12 with V30's to put under my Sovtek. If I needed a little more air pushed around, I could always parallel my Marshall 4x10 and have a 3/4 stack. That would be a nice lil tone stack...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I'd just about kill for an Orange 2x12 with V30's to put under my Sovtek. If I needed a little more air pushed around, I could always parallel my Marshall 4x10 and have a 3/4 stack. That would be a nice lil tone stack...

speaking of which, have you seen the new Avatar Premium Cab?

Your choice of speakers, 150 to 200 less than an Orange.

which sovtek do you have the Tube Midget, Mig 50?