Les Paul Supreme

itsevolutionbabyitsevolutionbaby Posts: 144
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am checking all of my options before I spring for my 68 les paul custom, and was wondering about the Supreme. In know it is made in the regular gibson shop (not the custom shop), does this make a huge difference? There seem to be a few mixed reviews over at HC about the fit and finish on a few. Also, this one borders on a bit too much bling. Lots of gold, and the finish is eyepoppingly gorgeous. Any feedback in my decision would be appreciated...
What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Yes. The only thing Supreme about it is that it's a Supreme waste of money. don't get me wrong, I love eye candy as much as the next person, but that's all that the Supreme has going for it over other Gibsons. Then, consider the "weight relief" holes that are drilled into the body, and if you ask me, it's not about building an instrument at that point...it's about moving units.

No disrespect to anyone who likes these. Hell..I used to like the wigged out, acid-triptified looking Vernon Reid ESP's...lol. It's just that IMO, a Gibson Les Paul has to be certain things. It has to have a solid body. It has to have the correct headstock pitch. It has to have the proper neck tenon, and then we can start splitting hairs about electronics and hardware. Anything else IMO isn't what a Les Paul should be. The only cat who has the right to screw with the formula in my book, is Les Paul himself.

I know mine is a very narrow opinion, and I have played many great LP's that did not meet my standards of what a LP should be. In today's market, when you risk spending at least 2k for a Gibson, it better be right if it's my 2k. :)
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Yes. The only thing Supreme about it is that it's a Supreme waste of money. don't get me wrong, I love eye candy as much as the next person, but that's all that the Supreme has going for it over other Gibsons. Then, consider the "weight relief" holes that are drilled into the body, and if you ask me, it's not about building an instrument at that point...it's about moving units.

No disrespect to anyone who likes these. Hell..I used to like the wigged out, acid-triptified looking Vernon Reid ESP's...lol. It's just that IMO, a Gibson Les Paul has to be certain things. It has to have a solid body. It has to have the correct headstock pitch. It has to have the proper neck tenon, and then we can start splitting hairs about electronics and hardware. Anything else IMO isn't what a Les Paul should be. The only cat who has the right to screw with the formula in my book, is Les Paul himself.

I know mine is a very narrow opinion, and I have played many great LP's that did not meet my standards of what a LP should be. In today's market, when you risk spending at least 2k for a Gibson, it better be right if it's my 2k. :)
    thanks for the candor. I am just trying to make sure that I am not missing out before I buy this thing. I guess I am down to the LP Custom, and the 68 Custom. Looks like I will be watching ebay since none of the stores in town want to come down off the 3K price tag.
    That's a good idea. The Custom shop (as far as I know) doesn't drill the weight relief holes into their bodies. Also, With a custom, you're paying for the guitar, not the crazy figured wood. There's auctions on e-bay right now R8's going for 5k+, while an R7 Historic Black Beauty is going for $2500. That's crazy!

For the $$, the best deal going in a Les Paul is a Gary Moore. It doesn't have the plastic binding around the body and neck like other Gibson's, but you can get one used for about 1600 bucks. Are the plastic binding and different colors worth the extra $500 to $2000 that other Gibson's command? Only you can answe that question...but I'm telling you...the Gary Moore Les Paul is a total ass kicker. Not exactly the kind of instrument I alluded to in my original post, but if you have to have a Gibson, that's the first one I'd hunt down and try. If it floors you (odds are it will...those Gary Moore's are sick!), you just saved yourself a cool grand! :)

LOOK AT THIS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gary-Moore-Gibson-Les-Paul-Guitar-Upgraded-Keys-Pickups_W0QQitemZ7386163799QQcategoryZ47072QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now, look at this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-LES-PAUL-SUPREME-Cherry-Sunburst_W0QQitemZ7386525326QQcategoryZ47072QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Finally, look at this

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Gibson-Historic-Reissue-58-Les-Paul-FT-Custom-Shop_W0QQitemZ7386812641QQcategoryZ47072QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The 3rd one is the only one that's built to the correct Gibson spec. No crazy flame...just built right.

You're paying for the cosmetics in #2, and #1 is essentially #3 without binding and the higher grade of rosewood on the fretboard.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If I were you, looking to drop somewhere in the 2 to 5K range, I'd get to know Enharmonic and JofZ really really well. Talk to mark at Marks Guitar Loft and those people. See if you can't find a good Murphy with the era fit and finish you want. Unless you really have your heart set on a 68 Custom, which is a freaking phenominal guitar, and if you're a custom guy, you don't need no stinking weight relief.

You aren't looking for A guitar you're looking for "the" guitar, a little extra time is nothing. You're doing everything right exploring all the angles, but a Les Paul Supreme, just dosen't cut the mustard for you.

oh and peruse the Les Paul Forum as well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 3K is really my ceiling here. Anymore and I might find divorce papers in my empty guitar case. I have seen the Murphy name several times, is that particuar build that good? I really like the customs, and I have had my eye on a new cherry sb http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7386491725&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

just not sure about spending this much with out being able to get my hands on it first..
    Murphy refers to Tom Murphy. He does some of the distressed or "relic" finishes. Murphy's command top dollar because of the quality of the finish work...nothing more. I've played a Murphy that borught tears to my eyes, and I 've played a Murphy that wasn't anything special. They were both beautiful.
  • are you actualy looking for eye candy or are you looking for a player?

here is one that caught my "eye" ... cause of what's on it and the respectable price ... but isn't a traditional "beauty" by any stretch ... though i kinda think the beat up been around the block look is SEXY. :D

some great hardware:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-73-white-timbucker-wcr-pickups_W0QQitemZ7387671424QQcategoryZ47072QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't see too much else on ebay this morning.
    Seems like a slow time on there these days, 3 months ago there were customs out the ass ... there are like 4 or 5 that i would even look at right now (in the "value" price range, that is ...)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • are you actualy looking for eye candy or are you looking for a player?

here is one that caught my "eye" ... cause of what's on it and the respectable price ... but isn't a traditional "beauty" by any stretch ... though i kinda think the beat up been around the block look is SEXY. :D

some great hardware:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-73-white-timbucker-wcr-pickups_W0QQitemZ7387671424QQcategoryZ47072QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems like a slow time on there these days, 3 months ago there were customs out the ass ... there are like 4 or 5 that i would even look at right now (in the "value" price range, that is ...)

I would like a combo of the 2(but more player than looker if it came down to it). Something like the 68 custom, but it doesn't have to be that model. there have been a few in triburst up over the last week or so, but they never seem to last more than about 3 days. (BIN usually around 2300). I would really prefer it in cherry sunburst, but the triburst is cool too. I guess like Pac said. this need to be THE guitar, not just a guitar. I just get overly excited when looking for new gear...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    are you actualy looking for eye candy or are you looking for a player?

some great hardware:

It's got a freaking TIMBUCKER and a goodwood!!!!! That is likely one really nice sounding player. Of course you can't tell unless you hold it, but the specs and pics look good.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    It's got a freaking TIMBUCKER and a goodwood!!!!! That is likely one really nice sounding player. Of course you can't tell unless you hold it, but the specs and pics look good.

hey i did say it caugh my eye.
    hell, for not needing a guitar ... it's making me want to BIN.
    it's worth like almost half that just in upgrades, i think.
    grr ... and i have that damn '78 blonde stock still ...

maybe i should put mine up and grab that one?

lol.

:D

mmm. decisions decisions.
    i love the "discoloration on the back due to DARK PANTS"

awesome.
  • what are the years that Gibson really failed in the QA/QC dept? I remember someone around here saying that there were certain eras to avoid like the plague.
    2k for a 70s LP? That's silly. Everyone knows that the 70s were the dark years for Gibson. Sure, there's probably exceptions to that, but still...2k?

I dunno. I'd pass. The hardware is worth more than the wood IMHO.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    2k for a 70s LP? That's silly. Everyone knows that the 70s were the dark years for Gibson. Sure, there's probably exceptions to that, but still...2k?

I dunno. I'd pass. The hardware is worth more than the wood IMHO.

someone wanted it.
    a quicker draw on their checkbook than i.

and same with that PPP. :(
    someone wanted it.
    a quicker draw on their checkbook than i.

and same with that PPP. :(

They bought the hype.

Look, that was my birth year (dare I say...). I would love nothing more than to have a guitar from my birth year and month...but gibson's and fender's by and large were both doo doo in the 70's. sure, guys were making great music with them back in the day, but what choice did they have?

If Gibson and Fender ever went back to that kind of quality, they'd go out of business today. There are just toomany people doing things right these days. Back then, outside of Gibson and Fender, there were very few options. Let's see...Mosrite, Ovation, early Hamer (late 70's), Dan Armstrong, Ibanez Lawsuit guitars (mid to late 70's)...I think that's about it.
  • Do all the regular gibsons have weight relief holes.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    no they don't.