I finally got it...

itsevolutionbabyitsevolutionbaby Posts: 144
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, I got my LP Custom in the mail today. I am totally in love. http://photobucket.com/albums/f166/itsevolutionbaby/?action=view&current=DSC00783.jpg

However, the ring on the bridge pickup is broken, and will need to be replaced. No biggie right? Well thanks to everyone that gave me their 2c into my purchase. I am really glad I didn't get the Supreme now. Thanks again!

gonna go play till my fingers are bleeding....
What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    beautiful.

we're all such gear pigs.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Nice axe. I know when I first got my Strat I had a hard time putting it down for long. Enjoy and rock on!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ha ha. Lovely.

"I GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!!!!"
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I want a white one.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Congrats and enjoy!

Nothing beats getting new gear, especially axes.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • well, after an evening of carefull inspection, my dream girl would appear to be nothing more than a 5 dollar whore. Upon closer inspection there are several quality issues that just shouldn't be there on a 3k guitar. The body is slightly raised above the binding in a few spots. there is a black mark on the bottom of the neck binding (not that anyone would ever see it, but I know it's there). also, something appears to be wrong with the G string tuner or nut. It makes this pulling / stretching sound, and won't stay in tune long. I know that's a horrible description, but I don't know how else to describe it. Any ideas? Those on top of the fact that the pickup ring for the pickup is cracked. This one is going back to AMS. I guess I really need to be able to put my hands on it before I buy it.
    So I guess what I actually finally got, was slipped the pickle.
  • well, after an evening of carefull inspection, my dream girl would appear to be nothing more than a 5 dollar whore. Upon closer inspection there are several quality issues that just shouldn't be there on a 3k guitar. The body is slightly raised above the binding in a few spots. there is a black mark on the bottom of the neck binding (not that anyone would ever see it, but I know it's there). also, something appears to be wrong with the G string tuner or nut. It makes this pulling / stretching sound, and won't stay in tune long. I know that's a horrible description, but I don't know how else to describe it. Any ideas? Those on top of the fact that the pickup ring for the pickup is cracked. This one is going back to AMS. I guess I really need to be able to put my hands on it before I buy it.

Man, i bet you're totally pissed, especially pulling 3k out ya back bin - that axe should be nothing short of a fuckin peice of art. that is totally unacceptable.

Gibson has been well documented recently for having Q&C issues.

i was speaking with my local American Guitar dealer (who i bought my Heritage Les paul from) and he told me something which is of interest in the manufacture of Gibbo's.

when they machine make the bodies, some guy (or girl) puts a slab of Mahogony through the machine one end, then out pops a body on the other end. but, where the neck is supposed to meet the body, there is a V shape in the neck, and the body so they key together.

Now, sophisticated as the machine is, it cannot cut the V shape properly on the body and it keep splitting or snapping. so the man at the end of the machine simply cuts the tip of the V off.

when the neck is glued to the body, you end up with a cavity behind the neck joint. Unbelievable. especially on an axe thats over 2 grand.

thats why so many dudes are going hand made such Heritage because these sorts of corner cuts are fucking with the tone and sustain.

I feel for you man.

are you going to demand a new one of the same model / make or go with a differnet brand?
  • are you going to demand a new one of the same model / make or go with a differnet brand?[/quote]

Just got off the phone with AMS, and they are sending another one out today. I'll give it one more chance, and then I give up.
  • are you going to demand a new one of the same model / make or go with a differnet brand?

Just got off the phone with AMS, and they are sending another one out today. I'll give it one more chance, and then I give up.[/quote]

at least they are sending out immediatly and not trying it on.
    I hope the next one meets your expectations.
  • I knwo what you mean by the half ass gibson neck joining. Im a strat-man myself, so there is no problem knowing you have a two peice neck. My American Deluxe V-neck is great, i don't think i'll ever invest into a les paul just because of thier declining quality, and strats have yet to let me down. Thsi probyl does sound biased but i have played many les pauls, and only one has ever stuck out, and chances are i will be getting it one day because it is within the family, and i'll be the heir

harrison

ps. its an All Original Late 60's goldtop

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19

i bought a much less expensive less paul about 10 years ago (wow, didnt realize how long ago until just now) and all i can say is that G-string problem bugs that crap out of me. It does not stay in tune and its really hard to tune since it seems to skip around. I kept saying i was going to contact gibson, but never did. Other than that, there were minor finish flaws that bothered me a bit.
    how am i supposed to sign here?
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Sorry to hear about the QC issues. I just pray my next guitar, most likely going to be a Gibson SG 61 Reissue, doesn't have the same issues.
  • honestly, I don't know if the ring on the pickup was broken at gibson, or somewhere along the way. The box didn't show any wear, and the case seems fairly bulletproof, so who knows. The binding looked good at first glance, but after careful inpection all night, there were several spots that were less than impressive. Truth be told, I would have bought a regular gibson USA product, but I assumed that the Custom Shop would really be a cut above. Evidently not the case, or at least with this one.
    yikes. well, I think I would also write Gibson. Not a nasty letter, just an I'm disapointed in my dream axe because......and I'd hate to have to go to Terry Mcinturff and or Don Grosh etc. :D Yeah, you don't always get what you pay for. Fender is cleaning up, as is Gibson, but they got into the trap of being the most sought after, profits go up, QC goes down because it becomes less important than the name on the headstock.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yikes. well, I think I would also write Gibson. Not a nasty letter, just an I'm disapointed in my dream axe because......and I'd hate to have to go to Terry Mcinturff and or Don Grosh etc. :D Yeah, you don't always get what you pay for. Fender is cleaning up, as is Gibson, but they got into the trap of being the most sought after, profits go up, QC goes down because it becomes less important than the name on the headstock.

Well said Pac :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • I'm saving for a Custom Shop 1958 Reissue. Worth it?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I'm saving for a Custom Shop 1958 Reissue. Worth it?

My custom shop 1954 Goldtop is a beast... well worth it to me... it smokes standard LPs I have seen and played. Of course the P90s might have something to do with it, but the construction, fit, and finish are all very well made...

the whole thing is very resonant too... the sign of a good guitar for sure.
    There's No Code.
  • I do give AMS credit, when it comes to exchanges they are helpful as hell. Back when that Roland 880 came out (yes I bought one for an outreagous amount), I bought one, had some problems, they sent me the shipping sticker, and as soon as the tracking number said the item was in the mail being shipped back, they rushed me a new one. I hardly had any down time.

Of course I'm having a total different issued with a sub woofer I'm exchanging at B&H. But thats life I guess, or is it Karma?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I do give AMS credit, when it comes to exchanges they are helpful as hell. Back when that Roland 880 came out (yes I bought one for an outreagous amount), I bought one, had some problems, they sent me the shipping sticker, and as soon as the tracking number said the item was in the mail being shipped back, they rushed me a new one. I hardly had any down time.

Of course I'm having a total different issued with a sub woofer I'm exchanging at B&H. But thats life I guess, or is it Karma?

This is the first time that I have dealt with AMS, but the seem ok so far. They already shipped the new one out, and will be here tomorrow am. There is a return tag for the other one included in the package. We'll see how this one goes. If there are any problems with this one, I am sending it back for a refund, and looking for something else..
    http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/H150CMDeluxe.htm

if it dosen't work out, there is another option above. But the FB is rosewood and not ebony, that sucks. The next one you get from AMS should be great. Sometimes shipping cracks PU rings.
  • honestly, I don't know if the ring on the pickup was broken at gibson, or somewhere along the way. The box didn't show any wear, and the case seems fairly bulletproof, so who knows. The binding looked good at first glance, but after careful inpection all night, there were several spots that were less than impressive. Truth be told, I would have bought a regular gibson USA product, but I assumed that the Custom Shop would really be a cut above. Evidently not the case, or at least with this one.

Is yours a Custom Shop or a regular custom. I was under the impression that the stuff that every Gibson dealer had was from the regular factory, and you had to special order custom shop stuff, or buy reissues and special edition type guitars.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Is yours a Custom Shop or a regular custom. I was under the impression that the stuff that every Gibson dealer had was from the regular factory, and you had to special order custom shop stuff, or buy reissues and special edition type guitars.
    It is from the custom shop. Gibson used to produce the Custom line at the regular factory, but moved it over to the custom shop a few years back. That was one of the reasons that I expected it to be so good. I can see it slipping through the regular gibson shop, but not the custom shop. Anyone know what their production numbers look like? I would be interested to see how many of these they shell out.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I am sorry to hear about your issues. The thing with Gibson and all large companies these days is that more often then not the attention to detail just isn't there as they are just cranking out so many guitars. I actually think the recent steps Gibson has made will really improve some of these issues, i.e. the plek machine.
    As for your nut and fingerboard issue, this is just a common problem. I can't tell you how many guitars, regardless of the make have a poorly cut nut and a terrible set up.
    The first thing you should do if you haven't already is return the guitar. Then take your money and go to a shop and if you can look at as many as you can in person. If you are going to buy online then you have to TRUST who you are buying from. I can point you in the right direction if you wish.

The Custom Shop is just a marketing gimic like most things. Unless you are buying the Art and Historic stuff you really aren't getting anything "special" and I have to tell you I have seen many A&H 10K guitars with nuts that are cut like shit and fret boards with no oil and huge chunks missing here and there. Bottom line is with anything that is mass produced you should see it before you buy it.

So why buy a Gibson over the look alikes? You'll have to answer that for your self. I know why I buy Gibson :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board