68 Gibson LP Custom

itsevolutionbabyitsevolutionbaby Posts: 144
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
It looks like I might be able to get a healthy tax return this year, and I would really like to finally get the guitar I have always wanted. I have coveted a les paul custom sunburst for as long as I can remember, and the 68 custom has been calling my name. Anyone know where I could find one? GC has the one in tri-burst, but I really want it in heritage cherry. Also, can you buy directly from Gibson? I would consider the roadie if I could get it from them, and the factory tour would be cool too. Any advice would be great. thanks all...
What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That's awesome. My Epi Les Paul Custom is in Heritage Cherry.

My tax return is going towards an American Strat.

I should get back about $1300.00 this year, so I've already accounted for it.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It looks like I might be able to get a healthy tax return this year, and I would really like to finally get the guitar I have always wanted. I have coveted a les paul custom sunburst for as long as I can remember, and the 68 custom has been calling my name. Anyone know where I could find one? GC has the one in tri-burst, but I really want it in heritage cherry. Also, can you buy directly from Gibson? I would consider the roadie if I could get it from them, and the factory tour would be cool too. Any advice would be great. thanks all...

You can buy from Gibson, but you need to e-mail someone and ask first. I have seen an original 69 Custom in Heritage Cherry but it was bought new in 69 and a vibro champ was thrown in with the deal. You can get pretty much anything you want from the Custom Shop but it will cost you a lot more.

Musicians Friend and Guitar Center along with any other gibson dealer like Music123 what have you should be able to get it for you, good luck and congrats...
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    You can buy from Gibson, but you need to e-mail someone and ask first. I have seen an original 69 Custom in Heritage Cherry but it was bought new in 69 and a vibro champ was thrown in with the deal. You can get pretty much anything you want from the Custom Shop but it will cost you a lot more.

Musicians Friend and Guitar Center along with any other gibson dealer like Music123 what have you should be able to get it for you, good luck and congrats...

yeah, MF doesn't have it at all, GC said they only have the tri-burst, and Music123 only have it in firemist. I really don't want to buy something like this over ebay. It just seems too risky. I might try emaling Gibson. Any idea what their pricing would be like?
    yeah, MF doesn't have it at all, GC said they only have the tri-burst, and Music123 only have it in firemist. I really don't want to buy something like this over ebay. It just seems too risky. I might try emaling Gibson. Any idea what their pricing would be like?

Unfortunately no, I don't not on a custom finish anyway.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. I have never heard of anyone being able to purchase directly from Gibson USA, but they have drastically changed their business model over the last 2 years, so I suppose it's possible.

You'll pay full prie though...no doubt in my mind. Then again, Gibson might have cut their dealers off at the knees to keep prices artificially high anyhow...so it might not make a difference.

I knw what it's like to lust for a Gibson. I won't even try to talk you out of spending the $$ on Gibson. I'm certain that you are aware of the alternatives :)
  • I emailed gibson, and they said the following:
    "We sell all product exclusively through our dealer network."

I guess that means I am on the hunt locally. I really wanted to get this one factory fresh with out having people bang on it for 6months while it sat in the shop. Granted, it will get played, but I would rather it be me doing the breaking in.
    BTW-I guess all of the negative things I have read about Gibson on this board applies to the Custom shop gear too?
    I emailed gibson, and they said the following:
    "We sell all product exclusively through our dealer network."

I guess that means I am on the hunt locally. I really wanted to get this one factory fresh with out having people bang on it for 6months while it sat in the shop. Granted, it will get played, but I would rather it be me doing the breaking in.
    BTW-I guess all of the negative things I have read about Gibson on this board applies to the Custom shop gear too?

ah, I guess the Custom Shop is the only place you can have stuff built for you, scrap that idea unless you want to spend over 10G's. There is a difference though between having something master built for you and buying a team built custom shop from one of the dealers.

No, nothing negative about gibson applies to the Custom Shop except for the price, you just have to realize you are paying a substantial premium for the name. Those are some of the best guitars ever.

The LP Customs are heavy and pricey but you are getting a fully decked out guitar with all the bells and whistles. They are beautiful.
  • I just saw one here today!:

http://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=electrics

It's not new though. It's about halfway down the page.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

http://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=electrics

It's not new though. It's about halfway down the page.

Right guitar, great price, wrong color. I don't know why I have my heart set on Heritage cherry (it's so boring), but I feel like if I am going to drop 3k on a guitar, it better be EXACTLY what I want. Otherwise, I will always want the other. Maybe I should save the money, and go talk to a therapist instead...
    Right guitar, great price, wrong color. I don't know why I have my heart set on Heritage cherry (it's so boring), but I feel like if I am going to drop 3k on a guitar, it better be EXACTLY what I want. Otherwise, I will always want the other. Maybe I should save the money, and go talk to a therapist instead...

you are Exactly right, it needs to be "the one"
    Just be patient, occasionally Gibson discontinues/ recontinues production of certain colors due to a variety of factors, it's probably that, you know what you want, keep looking and asking and writing emails to people. Like mark, Stu at Fatsound, guys at GC and MF etc. When they see one, if you've pestered them enough they will call you. My problem for the past 5 years or so is that I want a $2500 guitar for $1200 hey, what are you gonna do?
  • Try giving Ed Roman a call in Vegas. he could build anything out of any wood in any colour. http://www.edromanguitars.com/
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Spook Fish wrote:
    Try giving Ed Roman a call in Vegas. he could build anything out of any wood in any colour. http://www.edromanguitars.com/

Avoid Ed Roman at all costs.