What was Binaural recorded with??

itsevolutionbabyitsevolutionbaby Posts: 144
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
If I could sum up what I wanted my guitar sound to be, that's it. Nice and warm, with a fair bit of breakup, but still sonically distinguishable. I want the raw sound, but with out masking the actual notes and dynamics. I know they had their best gear ever on that tour (savage, matchless,orange,hiwatt,etc.) but I was wondering if we know specifically what was used in the studio. I have checked all of the usual places like GTW and there is nothing specific in regards to that session. Thanks in advance....
What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Hi! DO you want to know what they used in hopes of duplicating the sound? The reason that I ask is this. You have to factor in the microphones, the microphone placement, the console, any outboard, and the tape recorders to even begin to have a shot at those tones.

Then, there's the matter of those guys having just about anything and everything you could possibly want or need in the way of amps, guitars, and effects.
  • Mike and Stone's amp and pedal set up is what I am really after. Especially songs like Insignificnace and Grievance. Not really interested in duplicating it in a studio setting. Granted, they have a billion primo vintage guitars at their finger tips in the studio, but the amp and pedal setup is really what I am after. Nothing as it seems is the only song Mike used the blender on right? That seems like a real one trick pedal. It's been unusually quiet around here lately, whats the deal???
  • Mike and Stone's amp and pedal set up is what I am really after. Especially songs like Insignificnace and Grievance. Not really interested in duplicating it in a studio setting. Granted, they have a billion primo vintage guitars at their finger tips in the studio, but the amp and pedal setup is really what I am after. Nothing as it seems is the only song Mike used the blender on right? That seems like a real one trick pedal. It's been unusually quiet around here lately, whats the deal???

i dunno if they had there ST amps in year 2000 (anyone know) i know they had them for 03 and on, but im not even sure if they were used in the studio. To be honest their setups are simple, you don't need th egear peice for peice, but for those tones this is what i would go with:

Mike:
    Guitars: Les Paul, Stratocaster, Some sort of hollowbody electric
    Amp(s): 50-100 watts, marshall, orange, (british tone)
    Pedals: Wah, Rotosphere/univibe, delay (analog or DL-4), and an overdrive (tubescreamer preferably) this will help you blend up some nice mike tones, just have the amp dialed to a level thats got some crunch, then have the overdrive boost it appropriatly. make sure the wah has teh correct settigns, and that the delay and modulations of yoru choice are in "sync" with eachother and sound good. For that creamy sound he gets (LATG DVD) use a chorus with the speed and width both set to 2 o'clock (CS-9 anyways). he has used tons of other stuff but this is basic

Stone:
    Guitars: Les Paul, Telecaster
    Amp(s): 30-50 watt, savage, fender, something not so crunchy....
    Pedals: first of all stone has a fender reverb unit (circa late 60's - into the 70's) great tool for exterior reverb. He has alot of modulation pedals, quite a few overdrives, a wah, even some boss distortion, its really hard to track what he splayign since his board is so large, and constantly changing between the pictures we rarely see. he usually has two delay, several OD/Dist. phaser, flanger, all that stuff... hes quite good with effects, as good as his playing so its hard to say what to use.

What i have said is very general, but it will help you come closer to the tone. I didn't really say any specific amps since what they use is hard to get, so just by saying wattage, and general style you can get somethign similar. Remember, they are changing thier gear like us,a nd mike is getting more into the line6 stuff having a DL-4 and an MM-4 on deck. So I hope this works, if you want any recomended settigns or whatever, shotu it out, i play alot of PJ and can usually get the tone damn close...

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • All their tones were just really amazing then.. better than ever.

really flowed with the album too.

Don't doubt the ability of the Binaural mic (it's the head you'll see in the cd booklet) to create a unique, warm, beautiful sound, too. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you were to get a Savage Blitz 50, you could cover a lot of ground. It can take KT-66's or EL-34's, plus, it as an option for Class A or A/B operation, which totally changes the character of the amp. Also, the Blitz can get some of the best vintage Marshall-like gain of any recent production amp I've ever had the pelasure to play.

You can score major deals on them in the 2nd hand market...like $2200 for a head. New, they're like 3k.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    If you were to get a Savage Blitz 50, you could cover a lot of ground. It can take KT-66's or EL-34's, plus, it as an option for Class A or A/B operation, which totally changes the character of the amp. Also, the Blitz can get some of the best vintage Marshall-like gain of any recent production amp I've ever had the pelasure to play.

You can score major deals on them in the 2nd hand market...like $2200 for a head. New, they're like 3k.
    that's what I was afraid of. Why in the world did Stone stop playing these?