Gibson Blues Hawk

itsevolutionbabyitsevolutionbaby Posts: 144
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone here know anything about these? I was trying to get some feedback from the 'experts' here. I read several reveiws on harmony, and it seems fairly versitile. I was looking for something different.
What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Anyone here know anything about these? I was trying to get some feedback from the 'experts' here. I read several reveiws on harmony, and it seems fairly versitile. I was looking for something different.

different and versatile for sure. It is a bit smaller than most gibsons... physically, which I found weird. It is very comfortable however. With the varitone and the P90s you can get some really nice tones out of them.

Nice guitar and not too pricey either which is a nice bonus.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    House53 wrote:
    different and versatile for sure. It is a bit smaller than most gibsons... physically, which I found weird. It is very comfortable however. With the varitone and the P90s you can get some really nice tones out of them.

Nice guitar and not too pricey either which is a nice bonus.

I echo this response.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • is the quality up to snuff with the rest of Gibson's products (or lack there of seeing some of the opinions around here)?
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
    is the quality up to snuff with the rest of Gibson's products (or lack there of seeing some of the opinions around here)?

The quality is similar to that of other gibson products, and yeah, it's got those damned love them or hate them plastic klusons. The P90's sound good though, especially with the varitone. Could easily be upgraded with lollars or HD's or Fralins what have you, but the dummy coils do make it quiet.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    is the quality up to snuff with the rest of Gibson's products (or lack there of seeing some of the opinions around here)?

The quality is similar to that of other gibson products, and yeah, it's got those damned love them or hate them plastic klusons. The P90's sound good though, especially with the varitone. Could easily be upgraded with lollars or HD's or Fralins what have you, but the dummy coils do make it quiet. Very cool and comfortable guitar though generally.
  • I know those guitars!
    I went on a tour with King Sunny Ade and the African Beats about ten years ago, and he bought one of them and a NightHawk at Manny's Music when we were in New York. He usually plays a Telecaster for that African blues sound, mainly because that band tours to crazy places in the world and Teles hold up great on tour on bouncy and potholed roads.

He got the Blues Hawk and the Nighthawk. I think that was when they first came out. I like the Blueshawk much better. Great sound. I borrowed it for slide, and it excelled at that with the P-90's. It seemed weird for a Gibson to be that small and light, but I got used to it, and it was great for stage work, especially with a big band. (There were sometimes 20+ people on stage drumming and playing and dancing to JU JU music so it was easy to swing around and avoid whacking someone!)

The way we set it up for slide was by putting a chunk of metal behind the nut to raise the strings high enough for bottleneck sliding. I always ran it through a Fender Deluxe and it sounded great. I remember it being quiet. I don't think I ever knew if it had that dummy coil to quiet it then, and I never really used the Varitone switch, so I can't help you there. It was a well built guitar, though, and had a pretty cool woody/ hollow sound.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart