Fulltone 70s Fuzz

itsevolutionbabyitsevolutionbaby Posts: 144
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone have anything to say about this pedal either way? I have a shannon OD and a big muff currently running through an orange ad30tc. Just missing that outlandish fuzz. I was thinking about the 70s or the ZVEX, but I hear that the ZVEX is really hard to get a good usable sound out of. One of those crazy little pedals that sound kinda cool, but you really can't ever find a place to use it. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I know, just go play it. I find myself falling in love with pedals in the store, and then wondering 3 months later what I was thinking. Perhaps I'm not the only one....
What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    http://miaudio.com has two fuzzes that royally kick fulltone's ass (just judging from sound clips and adjustment options) and are about $30 less expensive.

This is about the only clip I could find of the 70 though

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rKpbfN2m3rA
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Anyone have anything to say about this pedal either way? I have a shannon OD and a big muff currently running through an orange ad30tc. Just missing that outlandish fuzz. I was thinking about the 70s or the ZVEX, but I hear that the ZVEX is really hard to get a good usable sound out of. One of those crazy little pedals that sound kinda cool, but you really can't ever find a place to use it. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I know, just go play it. I find myself falling in love with pedals in the store, and then wondering 3 months later what I was thinking. Perhaps I'm not the only one....

It's decent, I've not found a lot of excitement really in either one of those two to be quite honest. The Fulltone Fuzz I love is the Octafuzz, you can deselect the octave and it's fantastic. I personally believe that's the best fuzz that they make. The 69 and 70 are good pedals, they just didn't blow me away.

If you're looking at the 70, yeah MI is worth a look but if you want that Hendrix at the Fillmore BOG sound also check out The KR Gypsy Fuzz. The MI's are their own animals but they are quite flexible similar to the Fuzz Factory.

There are plenty of useable sounds in the Fuzz Factory it just takes a while to learn, it's quirky, but when you find it you find it. It's probably the best pedal he's ever created by far.

Buzz components in the silicon end are BC108 transistors.

The reason I love the Octafuzz is that it's both a very useable agressive fuzz and an upper octave to get that nasty crazy solo fuzz as well. I actually was about to go purchase one today.

In that stead, also look at the UFO fuzz octave. It's a nasty true fuzz with a footswitch for the upper octave.

Many of the late fuzz face designs are starting to incorporate a softer side more of an OD/DIST sound because for fuzzes like the Roger Mayer Axis to sound great they need to be played at high volume through 4x12 cabinets to get the bass out of single coils. Newer designs incorporate stronger bass response. (see Throbak)

Now that's just one guys opinion. Fulltone makes solid, professional stuff, but if you want crazy it's not exactly there.

3 more to talk about. Skreddy, Pro Analog (scotty), and Urso (splinter) all worth checking out.

A more normal OD/dist/fuzz with that great Bog/hybrid sound that we love so much is the Pink Purple fuzz from BJF, but it's 300 bones.

There are a billion fuzzes though made by many people, we should start a thread about all things fuzz the ones we have tried that are awesome and what we should look at for what.

Scotty and Bjorn Juhl really know thier way around circuit design and how to get those sounds out in their creations.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • If your shooting for over the top crazy fuzz, the fulltones are the way to go, but don't get me wrong, the '69 and the 70 are killer. But if your going for crazy fuzz like Dan from The Black Keys, then you should look else where. Keep in mind his crazy fuzz tone is from more then one fuzz going at once.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • thanks for the help guys. what about the Red Witch fuzzgod? The samples online seem cool, but I don't have a distributor for them here in houston to try them out. After playing with the fuzz factory last night, I think that I'm leaning twards that one. I'm really trying to find 'the one', so that I'm not doing this again 6 months from now. But I guess that's part of the fun too. Always looking for new and interesting sounds.
  • just to update, I went ahead and got the fuzz factory. I traded in an EH Hot Tubes which was about as useless as tits on a fish. I really wanted to like that one, but I just didn't. After all was said and done, I only had to pony up 75 bones for the Zvex. It is very tempermental, and you kinda have to stay within the suggested settings, but it's fun to experament with. sounds great with the orange. Thanks again for the advice.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    just to update, I went ahead and got the fuzz factory. I traded in an EH Hot Tubes which was about as useless as tits on a fish. I really wanted to like that one, but I just didn't. After all was said and done, I only had to pony up 75 bones for the Zvex. It is very tempermental, and you kinda have to stay within the suggested settings, but it's fun to experament with. sounds great with the orange. Thanks again for the advice.

good stuff. The stab knob is a wierd one definately. The recommended settings help out a lot.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.