Options

How can you tune a guitar down half a step

LesbelgesLesbelges Posts: 434
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ive been trying to learn some Alice in Chains songs on the guitar and well, they tune their guitars half a step down for almost all their songs. And well i dont really know how to do so, oh and im not good at tuning with my ear only....I have a good tuner so if someone can tell me what frequency to tune at or how that would sweet. Thanks all!
Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
Nijmegen '07
Werchter '07
April Fools ~ LA1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bumpage
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lesbelges
    Ive been trying to learn some Alice in Chains songs on the guitar and well, they tune their guitars half a step down for almost all their songs. And well i dont really know how to do so, oh and im not good at tuning with my ear only....I have a good tuner so if someone can tell me what frequency to tune at or how that would sweet. Thanks all!

not sure of the frequency, but all you have to do is drop each string down 1/2 step. Your low E will now be a Eb, A -> G#, D -> C#, etc.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    thanks!
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Standard tuning:
    E--
    A--
    D--
    G--
    B--
    E--

Half-step detuned:
    Eb--
    Ab--
    Db--
    Gb--
    Bb--
    Eb--

OR:
    D#--
    G#--
    C#--
    F#--
    A#--
    D#--

It depends on whether your tuner registers half-steps as flats (b) or sharps (#). To rough it in, tune the low E down a bit until the 6th fret on that string is the same as the A string, then tune the A string to the 5th fret of the E string, then the D string to the 5th fret of the A string, then the G string to the 5th fret of the D string... you basically have the same intonation relationship, it's just a half-step lower. Stevie Ray Vaughn used to tune some guitars down a full step, to D, and then play with super-thick strings.

Anyways, good luck.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    yeah and then he had to superglue his fingers back together lol. I know I have same problem for pumpkins songs. My tuner aint great, and neither is my pitch oh well. thats the best way to do it, mc said
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Options
    djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    i thought of something else too. Play the first fret of the A-D-G string. this should produce a sharp. Tune down until its a natural. Its tougher for the other strings, because if your like me and your tuner only has standard tuning on it, you have to get a little creative, but just play the sharp of a note that is in standard tuning, if that makes any sense, and tune down
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Options
    Or if you have a capo. Capo the first fret , then tune down to standard tuning.
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D