Looking into buying a guitar...any suggestions?

Hands boundHands bound Posts: 534
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright, I am considering buying an acoustic guitar.

I don't have a whole lot of money, but my birthday is coming up and I'm contemplating using my birthday money for that (even though I know I should save it)...

What's a good one to get that won't put me into debt too far?

I don't want to spend more than $200. I don't need amps or anything like that...I'm not that good at it yet and besides, I love the unplugged sound.

Thanks in advance!
Underneath this smile lies everything
all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    after my last guitar rolled down the stairs and broke i got a cheap fender dreadnought. i'm not very good either so i figured why buy an expensive one if i suck?!? i got it at a local guitar store and i think it was about $180 or so. it's nothing fancy but it sounds really good for the price.
    you may also be able to pick up a cheap yamaha or ovation. both sound real nice!
  • If you can swing it,, try a Yamaha F340
    It's about 200 bucks and is a nice playing and sounding guitar.
    It has a spruce top and is durable

If you have a music store go by there and play a bunch of guitars in your range. There are different sizes and different size necks. Sometimes a guitar will "speak to you". Ibanez makes some decent acoustics, as does Fender.
    If you buy local, you can have them "set it up" for you if it needs, too.

The magic discount words to say in a store are the following,, Repeat after me:):
    "I saw this on the musician's friend website for----"

[url]Http://www.musiciansfriend.com[/url]
    The store may not be able to match it but it'll get you a lower price.

Washburn D10s
    Fender Dg7
    Ibanez pf5
    Yamaha F340
    Are all $200 or under

You can buy from musician's friend, and they are reliable, but you might be better off buying from a shop if there is one nearby as buying a guitar is a touchy feely kind of thing. If not, musician's friend has a great return policy.

And, of course,,,, happy birthday!:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • everyone has given great advice so sar, now i'll throw in my two cents. buy from a local non-chain store (guitar center, etc). after you start playing more seriously you will always find something else you need/want. if you are always buying from the same place you can build a relationship and get better deals and advice from the people who work there.
    also my first guitar was a yahama i got for $180 and it has stood up to tons of use and travel. very sturdy and sounds great as far as i know. good luck, buying a guitar is alot of fun.
  • I like to buy from the local owner/operator places, too. If nothing else, you get a kick out of walking into a store and knowing everyone's name, and everyone knows who you are. Some local people are jerks, some are pretty cool, so find a place where there are cool people.

I also got a cheapie Yamaha F310 as my first guitar, and it's still with me. I've had so many guitars at this point, I've lost count. But my Yamaha is still with me. Get one that fits you and calls your name... at $200, the differences are more preference than quality. And whatever you do, never get rid of it. You might be able to sell it for $50, but the hole it leaves isn't worth it. I'll always miss my first Strat...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I've sold a cubic assload of them.

Look for the important stuff. Feel (low action comfortable fit) sound (full resonant) Tuning Stability (good closed tuning machines) Grovers are some of the best you will find on acoustics. Make sure it has a solid top if you can afford it.

Play everything you can get your hands on in the price range and out, so you'll know the difference.

That being said, The Yamaha's are great, For the money however The Ibanez Artwood (AW) series is excellent. I also like Fenders DG series very much. For a little more money the Taylor Big Baby is very nice as is the 110 series.

In the price range you might have to play about 5 to 10 of each to find the really really good ones but since you don't know how to play yet you won't be able to tell much of a difference and you'll adapt as you play. However you aren't going to play if it's not comfortable and you don't really like it, so keep that in mind when trying them out.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.