help with guitar tuning

Luk1n5Luk1n5 Posts: 3
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
how do you tune 1/2 step down

Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb

how do you do this? i use an electronic tuner, and you can tune it down, however it only goes down a full step, not 1/2. im new to guitar so..... yeah.

any help would be appreciated
cheers!
stay true
PEARL JAM 11/02/03
POWDERFINGER/JOHN BUTLER TRIO 14/12/03
JOHN BUTLER TRIO 11/07/04
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    unless u have a cheap tuner, u should still be able to do it!

or u can do it by ear by tuning from the 6th fret on the E to the A string (instead of using the 5th fret).... then that gives you Eb.... then go from there
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Well, other than buying a new tuner, the easiest way is to tune the guitar up to standard tuning, then starting at the low E string, play the open E, and at the same time play the Eb at the 6th fret on the A string, then tune up the E string until it sounds the same. Depending on your ears, this should get you close, then tune up the guitar by holding the fifth fret on the string directly above the one you're trying to tune, and tune that up until it matches, except for when you're trying to tune the B string, then you need to hold the fourth fret on the G string and play the open B. I hope this makes a little sense.
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    Originally posted by New Soul
    Well, other than buying a new tuner, the easiest way is to tune the guitar up to standard tuning, then starting at the low E string, play the open E, and at the same time play the Eb at the 6th fret on the A string, then tune up the E string until it sounds the same. Depending on your ears, this should get you close, then tune up the guitar by holding the fifth fret on the string directly above the one you're trying to tune, and tune that up until it matches, except for when you're trying to tune the B string, then you need to hold the fourth fret on the G string and play the open B. I hope this makes a little sense.

yeah... what i said :D

hopefully if u put both our nonsensical posts together, u can make something from it
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • i tune mine by ear... i'm too cheap to buy a tuner (i'm indefinately borrowing my friend's acoustic to learn on)... there's a site that is called "virtual chord book" or something... and they have part of it dedicated to tuning in any fashion you want... and it can go note by note to tune by ear.
    "Nobody is ever promised tomorrow. Increase the peace."
    ~Juan Azize
  • Luk1n5Luk1n5 Posts: 3
    thanks everybody. i dunno whether my tuner is chep or not lol...
    its a korg? or somehting. anyway it has settings such as "flat". and you can tune it up to about 7 times "flat". i dont really know what that means other than its lower haha.

but yes thanks nonetheless :)
    stay true
    PEARL JAM 11/02/03
    POWDERFINGER/JOHN BUTLER TRIO 14/12/03
    JOHN BUTLER TRIO 11/07/04
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Now, just to clarify...

A half-step is one fret. A full-step is two frets.

If your tuner is a chromatic with a "flat" indicator... start at standard tuning, and then tune down. For instance, the low E... watch the tuner, and tune the string down until both the "E" and the "flat" indicators are lit. Like the other guys said, you can also tune the guitar to itself... tune the low E down to Eb, and the 6th fret will be an A. Play the Eb string at the 6th fret, and it will match the A string. Then tune the A string to the Eb string - 5th fret. Tune the D string to the Ab string - 5th fret. Tune the G string to the Db string - 5th fret. Tune the B string to the Gb string - 4th fret. Tune the high E string to the Bb string - 5th fret.

Alright, now that I've restated what somebody else said already...

It's always like a paraphrase competition in these threads.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.