Muting

PerceptionPerception Posts: 19
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to get a better muted tone. not palm muted but muting the neck while strumming, like the little bit in Dirty Frank or a lot of Tom Morello stuff. Suggestions on amp or pedal settings or even just general technique would be great. Thanks.
Nobody else here, nobody like me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    If you are talking about muting with your left hand.....what I do is lightly lay down the underside of my left fingers between usually the 1-3 frets, but it depends on the chord progression you are playing...and where it is located on the neck. If you lay your fingers down flat and lightly you can get a nice crisp muted sound on your guitar. The trick is to be able to do it quickly between chord changes....but it comes with practice. I hope this is what you were asking for...and hope it helps.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • MONKEYNUTSMONKEYNUTS Posts: 114
    gentRY RESt THE Side of ur PIkIN HAND riTE BY THE bridGE ACROSS the strinGS U WANT mUTiN

DAT is de way mOST PEOPle dO iT. Its usually best WEN USIn QUIte a bIt OF DISTortIon. u get that CHUNkY TOM MORELLo/METALLica soUND
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    The only "tone" that comes from muted notes (he isn't talking about palm muting) comes from harmonics off the frets. To get a better tone simply use more gain and make sure your muting finger is over a fret.