something about Rob

thelouderthebetterthelouderthebetter Posts: 57
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just read Rob's post," Rob's last gig" Oh so Rob. I feel that I need to write a bit about this and I'm so touched by the reaction and good thoughts you've all sent. He said that he wrote something, but I know he was under a bit of pressure to leave for the plane, so he asked me to fill in the blanks if it didn't make any sense. I think what he wrote was beautiful, I don't even know if I should be writing this.

Rob's sister and I took Rob and his niece to the Philadelphia airport Saturday, and in his usual fashion, he cut it to the minute, just like he said in his post! Laughing all the way, saying, No problem!

Saturday at the airport, it was so so sad, but so so beautiful when they walked down the corrider after the security check with arms around each other, both carrying their guitars . At the end of the corrider, they turned around and blew us kisses. Well, everyone walking towards them didn't know who they were blowing the kisses at, so practically everyone in the corrider just blew kisses back to them. So Rob-like. Then they turned the corner and were gone.

His sister and I broke down so badly, we couldn't drive home! A very kind security guard saw the whole scene and detected what was going on, and gave us a private lounge so we could blubber uncontrollably.
He was wondering if he made the right decision by spending the rest of his life away.I have been friends with Rob for 12 years, and I wondered, too. All of us did. I know now that he did it right. He has touched so many people in his life, that people wanted to constantly be with him. When the word came down that he has a month plus or minus to live, so many wanted to be with him, I think it was wearing on him. We had and impromptu party for him with one day notice and about 500 people showed up! One of his friends stood up and said, that if we had this party in Chicago, Seattle, LA, or London, just as many would have been there!

Rob is such role model, He was married to the absolutely most peaceful, and wonderful woman, had a beautiful daughter of 14, When my marriage ended violently, it was them, along with his best friend, who reached out to my son and me and took us into their lives. His niece was born a month apart from his daughter. They were inseparable, and almost looked like twins. They were called" the twins". Rob lost his wife and daughter to a drunk driver 10 years ago. Devastating to us all, but to his niece and him, it was a crushing blow, and they pulled through it, that's why the bond they have. They both have this karma and adventerous spirit about them that just radiates to others. He stood face to face with his disease last spring, 2002 was a struggle but he overcame it. We all got used to the fact that he seemed to become stronger and healthier than before! He considers the last year or so an extra gift. We all do, too

The disadvantage to leaving when he looked so good, is that we all fully expect him to just come walking into the room while cracking some sort of joke, like he would after a tour. With Rob, you still can never rule that out.
The advantage to leaving now is that, if we never see him again, our last sight of him will be with a smile and eyes and karma to melt your heart. ( Guys think he's cool, too!)

I'm writing this, not only to post about him, but for myself and for you, as you seem to care so much. Right now, around Rob's huge circle of friends, there is nothing else in the world that matters, than to wish him the best, some pray for him, some stop and think and send good thoughts to him. We learned from him to release the pressures of daily life and look at the big picture and to enjoy it while it lasts. He did that before he got cancer, but after last years' struggle, we could look at him and say, wow, life IS good, if he's smiling, we should be , too. He accepted his fight with grace and dignity. If he did complain of something, you know it was BAD, because his burden was great. I think he has been released from that now, there seems to be a bit of freedom involved with accepting his fate now and just rolling on with life.

Travel is easy for him. Anybody that ever travelled with him says that it is incredible. He can land in a remote corner of the world, not know a word of the language, but people would bend over backwards to help give directions, or show him great places. I think it's by body language and this glow that he has about him transcends the spoken word.

He'll be in Amsterdam seeing friends for a few days before heading to Kathmandu. Then his old friend ( Youthinkyou'reold on this board) is coming up from his tour in Africa, to Nepal. Another great person. There will be some stories spun with those 3 together! I bet he will find the internet somewhere and post again.

I also bet that if Rob's time is as short as the doctors said, he will live more in that time than a lot of us have in all our lives.
I think Rob has many gifts, but the one that stands out the most, is his joy of life. You feel that when you're around him and it is infectous.

I just wanted to put a few thoughts down, Have a great night.
Smile :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    can't say it any better.

Vaya Con Dios Rob. Bring your guitars you'll need them to jam with Hendrix. Peace.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Thanks for that.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • I've been reading about Rob and everything everybody has written in response to his farewell.... I feel like I should be sad, reading about his experience, but I can't help but feel like there is good karma surrounding him. I never knew him, only knew his username in passing on these boards, but I feel like I would smile if I saw him. Rob, wherever you are, I admire someone who could inspire such beauty and love and general good nature in people you knew, and in people you never met. See things for us! Sing songs for us! Say 'Hi' to Bonham for us! I'd say you'll be missed, but I don't think you're leaving the people who knew you.

Dominus Vobiscum...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • dan_alivedan_alive Posts: 123
    I want to respond in a fitting way but it's impossible... it's inspiring, it's beautiful, it's sad...

Thanks for writing something so amazing about an obviously amazing person... I think if we all take a leaf out of Rob's book we can do our little bit to make this world a better place.

This is one of the most inspiring and heartfelt stories.. and strength to his family and friends... and to Rob and his niece. Your message is of extreme positiveness & I think we all hope this brings you so much peace & happiness among the sadness you feel... it is felt all the way here in Australia.

If you need an ear or an eye feel free to be around here talk to us... will send you a PM.

Take care & make the most of the smiles he has left behind,
    Dan.
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    "It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
  • *shakes hand* i cannot even begin to grasp what lies beyond... but you sound like someone who will easily make friends on the other side as well. your warmness will be an inspiration to those you leave behind. godspeed.
    "They have the internet on computers now!" -- Homer Simpson
  • thank you so much for having the courage to share that with us....id find it hard. what you wrote helped me feel a little more happy about this...its been playing on my mind since i read it a few nights ago. thank you and as dan said, if you need anyone to talk to....we are good ears around here....you know where to find us.

god bless you rob,
    lizi
  • robrob Posts: 142
    Thanks so much for the warm responses. I've got some reading and writing to do here, now!
    Oh man, this is a little weird, reading about me, though. There must be another post with all the bad stuff. It's ok , you can tell me where it is!
    Louder, you Rock , too.
    You're awesome!

I got to get to writing while I'm here in this cafe!

Back soon
    This board is really an amazing group of people.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    another amazing post that I have to bump, thank you for sharing your feelings about rob, thelouderthebetter, you moved me to my core.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason