SansAmp GT-2

HeavyMetalNygeHeavyMetalNyge Posts: 144
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Has anyone ever tried one of these? I think it was designed to go directly into a mixer, but can you use it as a stomp box through an amp? Someone was tellling me that Dean DeLeo really hypes one particular SansAmp pedal. Anyone know which one?
"I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the one article i can find on deleo has him using a SIB varidrive.

cobain used a sansamp classic into his amp rig live at times. not that his tone was ever good.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Probably a classic.

Either way, there are better units you can on the market for that kind of thing.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    those things are godly, but too expensive :(
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Probably a classic.

Either way, there are better units you can on the market for that kind of thing.

Such as?

Here's what I'm looking for. I need some distortion pedals for my cover band. I would like to get some distortion sounds like PJ (obviously), STP, AIC, maybe even SG. I'll be using the pedals thru my Rivera clubster 45 tube amp. Please don't suggest any of the boss pedals like the SD-1 or the MT-2. Those sound like shit. I have a fulltone fulldrive for overdrive and classic rock distortions, kind of like a ts-9, so I need something with more gain.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    try the distortion pro. shitloads of gain and a great EQ section.
    I suggest you look very much into a BJF Dyna Red distortion. You should be able to get the majority of all those sounds with the Dyna Red and your amp and you don't have to worry about dip switches. The benifit of the GT2 is having Marshall, Tweed, and hot rod Mesa on tap. They are fun, but you can do better. the BJF Dyna Red is the part you want out of the GT2 anyway for that tone.

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/customsounds.filereader?43d120be02cf886c2742d94dcd0106ad+EN/products/12002

lovepedal Eternity would be a good one to scope as well.

and you might just like more of the amp tone you have, with say a Catlinbread Super CHili Picoso.

Check out the Barber Burn Unit too.

Distortion Pro is a good one too, and flexible

Plug into any of the above and you'll wonder how Roland stays in business.

You could also go with a clean boost like the Lovepedal 60 or SCP into or after a Dyna Red.

The great thing about the Gristle King is that you can choose the positon of the clean booster.

A main component in all of those tones, just like classic rock is power tube overdrive, you really need to get the amps tone involved, not just the preamp tubes.

Best bet though is probably a Dyna Red or a Distortion Pro.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • lezcufflezcuff Posts: 46
    Has anyone ever tried one of these? I think it was designed to go directly into a mixer, but can you use it as a stomp box through an amp? Someone was tellling me that Dean DeLeo really hypes one particular SansAmp pedal. Anyone know which one?

One of my band-mates uses this pedal as the last part of his chain before it hits his amplifier. Great sounds. Expensive, perhaps, but it can make a smaller amp sound like a monster.

As with all gear, consider the reviews at harmony-central.com

Dance and Sing along with Shed Devils at http://www.sheddevils.com/
  • lezcuff wrote:
    One of my band-mates uses this pedal as the last part of his chain before it hits his amplifier. Great sounds. Expensive, perhaps, but it can make a smaller amp sound like a monster.

As with all gear, consider the reviews at harmony-central.com

Yeah, Harmony-Central is always the first place I look, but most of the reviews for that particular pedal are for people using the pedal as a preamp and then going directly into the mixer. Plus, you never know what kind of sound those people are into. At least here, I have an idea of the tone quality that the people on this forum are looking for.
  • I just happened to be reading some PJ articles on Five Horizons and stumbled over this from a Musician Magazine interview 7/92.

"Mike McCready's main axe is a Fender '62 Strat reissue, but he's been seen strumming Pauls and a Jerry Jones Danelectro copy. He plays through a Marshall JCM800 and two Fender Bassman reissues. Effects include a Dunlop Rotovibe, a CryBaby wah, a t.c. electronics multieffects unit and a SansAmp (as a distortion unit. Strings are GHS .011s."

How accurate do you think this is? I've never heard of McCready using a SansAmp or a multieffects unit back then. Which SansAmp do you think it would have been?

Anyways, I don't know about you guys, but possibly my favorite McCready tone is from the 92 SNL performance. His Strat tone on Alive is ridiculous, and so is his LP tone on Porch. If you don't have it, just take a minute and listen to that performance at PearlJamLive under videos. Fuckin awesome. I hadn't seen it in a while and I got goose bumps again.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    He used the SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

Hope this link works, it is a very good detailed article about his sets up on the various song.

http://www.basswriter.com/journalism/bpstories/Web-DeLeo.doc

As to finding that quality distortion pedal, Boss and EH aren't bad. See if you can find a T Rex distortion pedal on e-bay.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    puremagic wrote:
    He used the SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

Hope this link works, it is a very good detailed article about his sets up on the various song.

http://www.basswriter.com/journalism/bpstories/Web-DeLeo.doc

As to finding that quality distortion pedal, Boss and EH aren't bad. See if you can find a T Rex distortion pedal on e-bay.

I think that's Rob Deleo, C... The bass player. I believe the author of this post is talking about Dean Deleo, easy to get confused since they were brothers. If Rob used one it's easy to assume he passed the knowledge onto Dean, I've always heard or read that Dean often layered smaller amps like Fender Deluxes in conjunction with Marshalls and the like to get his tone.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I think that's Rob Deleo, C... The bass player. I believe the author of this post is talking about Dean Deleo, easy to get confused since they were brothers. If Rob used one it's easy to assume he passed the knowledge onto Dean, I've always heard or read that Dean often layered smaller amps like Fender Deluxes in conjunction with Marshalls and the like to get his tone.

Yes, but Dean came up with some of basslines for his brother.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    puremagic wrote:
    Yes, but Dean came up with some of basslines for his brother.

oh really, cool. That's probably it then. Interesting.

Sansamp has several interesting preamplifiers.

The Sans Amp Classic (with a ton of dip switches)

The GT2 a simplified version of the above

The Tri OD (another take on the same Idea)

The Bass Driver (direct injection) (Some bass players use DI's strait to the board for recording and some live to not have to drag all that gear with them, or in conjunction with other stuff.

and there are a few more as well.