volume boost

HeavyMetalNygeHeavyMetalNyge Posts: 144
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just recently bought a Rivera Clubster 45. It's a 2 channel amp, clean and dirty. Great sounding amp. Anyways, I need a way to get a volume boost on the dirty channel for solos. I have no trouble getting a volume boost on the clean channel. I've tried using my boss super overdrive, and tried a mxr boost both in line, and in the effects loop. In line they only add more distortion. Through the effects loop the amp either drops in volume or loses its distortion so it sounds more like a clean boost. Are there any pedals I could get that will give me a volume boost in line. Has anyone else ever encountered this problem?
"I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I just recently bought a Rivera Clubster 45. It's a 2 channel amp, clean and dirty. Great sounding amp. Anyways, I need a way to get a volume boost on the dirty channel for solos. I have no trouble getting a volume boost on the clean channel. I've tried using my boss super overdrive, and tried a mxr boost both in line, and in the effects loop. In line they only add more distortion. Through the effects loop the amp either drops in volume or loses its distortion so it sounds more like a clean boost. Are there any pedals I could get that will give me a volume boost in line. Has anyone else ever encountered this problem?

get a volume pedal from morley, theres several other brands... or if you are into wahs, get one with a boost button

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • If you already have a lot of gain in your dirty channel, you're probably just getting to a compressed level that won't allow your signal to get any louder. That's why putting a boost in front of your amp isn't getting any louder, just more distorted. I'd say bring your gain level down a bit and try a pedal out front again. Some amps have special boosts in the dirty channel to help with this...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I think I'm just going to get a volume pedal. That will take care of the problem, won't it?
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I think I'm just going to get a volume pedal. That will take care of the problem, won't it?

no, a volume pedal is just a linear pot like the one on your guitar it won't add any volume, great amp by the way. That amp does have a pull boost on both channels dosen't it? The Ninja I think if I remember. That might work. Ok actually I think there is pull bright on clean and then pull boost(ninja) on the dirty.

If not you might try some kind of really loud clean boost like a ZVEX Super Hard On or a Barber Launch Pad. The launch pad is 24V internal so it's got a lot of headroom, you shouldn't be compressing all that much. The other OD/DIST's you mention as MIG says compress the sound more than you would like.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    this is the problem i had for a while. What ive ended up doing is using an mxr micro amp in the FX loop of my amp then just turning it on for solos and it works just fine :) i have the fx loop pot up full on my amp and the micro amp doesnt even need to be over half and it adds more than enough boost :)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    http://www.lovepedal.com/lovesquare.htm

or you can get one of these now if you hurry
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i have often had this problem, but i had a gig the other day and one of the guys in the headlining band suggested i try his Boss 'Bass equalizer' pedal. you just have all the eq settings flat and its got a volume control aswell which you put higher. it worked really well actually. might be worth considering.
  • pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
    ask neil to make you a whizzer
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • for months i had the same problem. i used to use a tubescreamer but didn't like messing with knobs when i switched guitars and i found my tone was muddied at times.. i use a seymour duncan pickup booster. it raises the volume a few dbs but does not increase gain or muddy the sound. i have an american strat with noiseless pickups, which are too quiet for my tastes, so i use the pickup booster on my cleans with that guitar. with my sg or les paul and a dirty channel i use that pedal for a volume boost for soloing. one of the best $75 i ever spent.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • for months i had the same problem. i used to use a tubescreamer but didn't like messing with knobs when i switched guitars and i found my tone was muddied at times.. i use a seymour duncan pickup booster. it raises the volume a few dbs but does not increase gain or muddy the sound. i have an american strat with noiseless pickups, which are too quiet for my tastes, so i use the pickup booster on my cleans with that guitar. with my sg or les paul and a dirty channel i use that pedal for a volume boost for soloing. one of the best $75 i ever spent.

I've actually had a few people recommend that pedal to me. You definitely give it 2 thumbs up, huh? I might have to give that one a whirl.
    I've actually had a few people recommend that pedal to me. You definitely give it 2 thumbs up, huh? I might have to give that one a whirl.

that might be perfect, it's about the same price as a micro amp and you might find the pickup booster a little cheaper on ebay too. It's a good one to try. I think those are supposed to boost up to 25DB more than enough to get you noticed.
  • Problem solved! I put the volume pedal in the effects loop, and it only effects the volume on both channels, not the gain on the dirty channel at all. I can actually sit with my ear right next to the amp, crank the master volume on the dirt channel and roll back on the volume pedal and play with all the gain I could when the master volume is cranked but literally at a whisper volume. I can't tell you how very happy I am. Now I'm not even considering taking back this amp. I would have though if I couldn't find a way to boost the volume for solos.
    Problem solved! I put the volume pedal in the effects loop, and it only effects the volume on both channels, not the gain on the dirty channel at all. I can actually sit with my ear right next to the amp, crank the master volume on the dirt channel and roll back on the volume pedal and play with all the gain I could when the master volume is cranked but literally at a whisper volume. I can't tell you how very happy I am. Now I'm not even considering taking back this amp. I would have though if I couldn't find a way to boost the volume for solos.

Fantastic, that's good to know too. Glad it worked out.