More "Marshall in a Box" help

HeavyMetalNygeHeavyMetalNyge Posts: 144
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Pac, I'm looking in your direction, but all input is welcome. Unless you're going to tell me to get a Boss pedal. Then you can keep it to yourself. JK, kind of. I posted a while back about my new amp, the Rivera clubster 45. I was excited because it had the nice fenderish clean, and also a nice distortion channel. Well, I've resorted to only using the clean and using pedals for my distortion. I recently bought a Sansamp GT2, which I thought would be the Marshall in a box I was looking for. It isn't. It sounds like a Boss MT2 thru my amp. No clarity, seems to disappear in the band mix. So, I have to sell it and get a new distortion pedal. The sound I want is somewhere between the Ten era Pearl Jam Marshall tone, and a Cantrell Dirt type tone. Here are the pedals I'm wondering about:
Fulltone Distortion Pro: DP1
Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n
Radial Tonebone Hot British
EMMA Reezafratzitz
Pac, you also mentioned the Barber Burn or the Dyna Red at one point.
Can any of these get me that kind of tone?
I'm also wondering how big of a pain will it be to have a pedal with tubes like in the EH and the Radial? Is it worth it?
"I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    If you haven't tried it already, give a ProCo Rat a whirl.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pac, I'm looking in your direction, but all input is welcome. Unless you're going to tell me to get a Boss pedal. Then you can keep it to yourself. JK, kind of. I posted a while back about my new amp, the Rivera clubster 45. I was excited because it had the nice fenderish clean, and also a nice distortion channel. Well, I've resorted to only using the clean and using pedals for my distortion. I recently bought a Sansamp GT2, which I thought would be the Marshall in a box I was looking for. It isn't. It sounds like a Boss MT2 thru my amp. No clarity, seems to disappear in the band mix. So, I have to sell it and get a new distortion pedal. The sound I want is somewhere between the Ten era Pearl Jam Marshall tone, and a Cantrell Dirt type tone. Here are the pedals I'm wondering about:
    Fulltone Distortion Pro: DP1
    Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n
    Radial Tonebone Hot British
    EMMA Reezafratzitz
    Pac, you also mentioned the Barber Burn or the Dyna Red at one point.
    Can any of these get me that kind of tone?
    I'm also wondering how big of a pain will it be to have a pedal with tubes like in the EH and the Radial? Is it worth it?

I'm in the same boat man, I was thinking about getting a Fender Deluxe because of the clean but I really want a "Marshall" sounding pedal.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Here's why I'm interested in the English Muff'n
    Scroll down and watch the video.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=153335
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • Here's why I'm interested in the English Muff'n
    Scroll down and watch the video.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=153335

That's awesome!!

I actually played the Double Muff through the Fender I was looking at and it was amazing!! I really liked that.

Right now I have a DS-1 and an SD-1 but through a SS amp, I wanna hear how they sound when I get my tube amp.....

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    That's awesome!!

I actually played the Double Muff through the Fender I was looking at and it was amazing!! I really liked that.

Right now I have a DS-1 and an SD-1 but through a SS amp, I wanna hear how they sound when I get my tube amp.....

I have a DS-2 and an SD-1, and they sound damn good through my 15W tube Fender Blue Junior. So good in fact, the SD-1 was the only pedal I brought with me last night for my gig, and even then, I only switched it on for any part that I just needed a bit extra, like a solo or opening riff. The amps volume almost pegged at 11 and the master at a 4 was all the OD I needed.

But that Muff'n looks sick though.
  • moster78 wrote:
    I have a DS-2 and an SD-1, and they sound damn good through my 15W tube Fender Blue Junior. So good in fact, the SD-1 was the only pedal I brought with me last night for my gig, and even then, I only switched it on for any part that I just needed a bit extra, like a solo or opening riff. The amps volume almost pegged at 11 and the master at a 4 was all the OD I needed.

What's a DS-2??

Is that the Turbo Distortion??

I really like the sound I can get by blending them together :)

.NJD.
  • moster78 wrote:

Oops, double post sorry.

.NJD.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    What's a DS-2??

Is that the Turbo Distortion??

I really like the sound I can get by blending them together :)

Yeah, the turbo distortion. I think the turbo 1 setting is supposed to be more like the DS-1.

I don't know why people knock Boss so much. The three pedals I have are great, the DS-2, SD-1 and the BD-2 (Blues Driver). I'm debating getting the SD-1 and BD-2 modded by Keeley. When I get the funds to throw around.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The Pro CO Rat, and it's subsequent modifications by a variety of builders is essentially a JCM 800 in a box.

I love the keeley version.

Also BJF Dyna Red if you can spend a bit more.

oh, and listen to the clips of the Barber Burn Unit. It's clearer than the rat will be IE you can play chords with it.

Ideally, the Rat is best as a number two. I'd like to see you find some sort of clean boost pedal (probably worth another thread really) but some sort of high volume clean boost and then cascade it in to a keeley rat or something like that.

Quite possibly you aren't loving the distorted channel because it's simply not what you want character wise. Often many of us end up chaining a series of boosts toegther to get the tone we are looking for. Sometimes you get too much gain.

Honestly you can't go wrong with the Burn Unit, the Dyna Red or the Keeley Rat.

Keeley Rat is best when run as mighty mouse (middle switch position) as #2 after some kind of boost or tubescreamer type run as a boost. I used my Barber Direct Drive (oh and the new direct drive could be an option too) depending on how you use it. The keely Fuzz Head believe it or not might also be perfect for you. It's much more of a round sound than a square wave fuzz.

Ask David Barber, he loves that very tone you do.

another great but expensive option http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/soldano.php

also see stephenson stage hog

http://media.zvex.com/superhardon.mov

a good example of boost.

also see http://www.lovepedal.com

specifically the Black Magic (its custom now) and the Eternity overdrive but others might fit as well.

oh and do check out skreddy not marshall in a box but damn...... wow.

http://www.skreddypedals.com/
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    If you can find an old script-logo MXR Distortion +, you'll not do better. Of course, they have no status LED and only run on battery but there's no other pedal I've heard that even comes close for those early PJ songs.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    biffhardon wrote:
    If you can find an old script-logo MXR Distortion +, you'll not do better. Of course, they have no status LED and only run on battery but there's no other pedal I've heard that even comes close for those early PJ songs.

How do you find they compare to the newer Distortion +? I have one and it stays in the box because I can't stand the sounds I get from that thing. I find it has absolutely no definition and is extremely muddy.

In this case, are there any simple mods that can be done to this pedal? Similar to the Phase90 mod that cuts out one of the transistors?

Also, I've also heard great things about the Keeley modded ProCos. Like Pac said, JCM800 in a box.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    http://www.musictoyz.com/network/mena-king_pop.html

Done.

The Rat makes everything sound like IT, not the other way around. If you must go Rat, get a Keeley. I like Rat's, but they will not do what you're looking for.

The other option you have would be to sell the Rivera and get a Bogner Shiva.
    enharmonic wrote:

Done.

The Rat makes everything sound like IT, not the other way around. If you must go Rat, get a Keeley. I like Rat's, but they will not do what you're looking for.

Wouldn't the best option be to go out and buy a 80s Marshall? ;):p
    enharmonic wrote:

Done.

Holy Shit, that thing sounds awesome!
    Absolutely, but it sounds like he wants a channel switcher...even though he's only using one channel of his amp right now.

I'd also loot at the THD Flexi
    Holy Shit, that thing sounds awesome!

Would I steer a brotha wrong? :D

Keep it quiet though...so many people wigging out over the latest greatest pedal of the moment, that these are still relatively easy to get. I'd hate to see this one go Klon on us :p
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    How do you find they compare to the newer Distortion +? I have one and it stays in the box because I can't stand the sounds I get from that thing. I find it has absolutely no definition and is extremely muddy.

Yeah, a mate of mine went and bought himself a new one after hearing mine, not bothering to hear it first. Completely different beast. I'm sure it can be modded but how simply, I don't know.
    enharmonic wrote:

Done.

This is true, I totally fogot about menatone.

The flexi is a badass amp too. http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/flexi.htm

it's also nice andy put all the bias points right there easy to get too. The metal cage helps it breath too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    This is true, I totally fogot about menatone.

The flexi is a badass amp too. http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/flexi.htm

it's also nice andy put all the bias points right there easy to get too. The metal cage helps it breath too.

I'll be picking up a Flexi before the end of summer. see, the thing is, with all of the hype surrounding Bogner, Diezel, Matchless/Bad Cat, et al, lots of people look over a company like THD, and few can remember that THD were one of the first companies to come out with a "plexi" clone that just tore the roof off. If I remember correctly, back in the early 90's, the plexi-style amp what the one that put THD on the map. They were there at the beginning of what has become the boutique amp craze of the last 15 or so years.

At $1800 bucks, it would be my go-to if I wanted that classic british Marhsall sound. They're built like tanks and very user friendly. Getting to the bias pots on my Wizard is a real pain in the ass...not that it ever needs it much. Getting ready to switch to SED "winged C's" instead of mt GT 34's, which to me sound like a nasal version of the GT 6L6.

Jeez...I'm giving away all kinds of secret weapon tips over here :D
  • So no one thinks the English Muff'n is worth it, huh? The Menatone sounds great, but it's more expensive than the E Mf'n. Is it that much better? Does anyone have any negative input about the English Muff'n? I mean, I know its more tubes to worry about, but anything else?

I would love to have one of those THD Flexi's, but I don't have the money, especially since I just bought that Rivera. To me, the most important thing to have is the nice clean to build on. If I could, I'd have 2 amps, one Fender and one Marshall. That's just not practical. So I have a Fenderish clean, and I started this thread to gain everyone's perspective on what pedal will get me the closest to that British gain sound.
    enharmonic wrote:
    I'll be picking up a Flexi before the end of summer. see, the thing is, with all of the hype surrounding Bogner, Diezel, Matchless/Bad Cat, et al, lots of people look over a company like THD, and few can remember that THD were one of the first companies to come out with a "plexi" clone that just tore the roof off. If I remember correctly, back in the early 90's, the plexi-style amp what the one that put THD on the map. They were there at the beginning of what has become the boutique amp craze of the last 15 or so years.

At $1800 bucks, it would be my go-to if I wanted that classic british Marhsall sound. They're built like tanks and very user friendly. Getting to the bias pots on my Wizard is a real pain in the ass...not that it ever needs it much. Getting ready to switch to SED "winged C's" instead of mt GT 34's, which to me sound like a nasal version of the GT 6L6.

Jeez...I'm giving away all kinds of secret weapon tips over here :D

yeah no kidding, Andy Marshall is a true wizard and the hot plate (and yellow jackets are genius too)

I think you can get a Flexi and a theile ported THD cab for like 2200 bucks. You aren't getting a matchless and certainly not a bogner for that, and you can have the headshell of a diezel for about that much.

One of the best things about the flexi is the push pull AB config, and being able to run a variety of tubes. Say I want headroom or a different clip, throw in the 6L6's. If I want a classic marshall tone I can get KT66's (and maybe 88's too I think) depending and then the good old standard EL34's if it's too loud slap in some yellow jackets and run EL-84's. and the cage takes about 5 seconds to take off, if you have a multi meter handy, the bias points are right there on the back next to Andy's sig.

I love those Winged C's. I think that's what my buddy had in this old 4 6L6 Carvin we used to jam on. They are definately less wooly than the El34's Sounds great strait in with a DS Schecter PT and some duncans. :D
  • So no one thinks the English Muff'n is worth it, huh? The Menatone sounds great, but it's more expensive than the E Mf'n. Is it that much better? Does anyone have any negative input about the English Muff'n? I mean, I know its more tubes to worry about, but anything else?

I would love to have one of those THD Flexi's, but I don't have the money, especially since I just bought that Rivera. To me, the most important thing to have is the nice clean to build on. If I could, I'd have 2 amps, one Fender and one Marshall. That's just not practical. So I have a Fenderish clean, and I started this thread to gain everyone's perspective on what pedal will get me the closest to that British gain sound.

Bumpy Bump
    Bumpy Bump

well I love the rivera. I think it's a great amp that can get a lot of sounds.

Someone else here has the english muffin hopefully they will chime in. it might work, but by far the best thing to do would be take your rig to a store that has them in and try it out.

Another one that people like on the gear page in your price range is the Tone Bone Hot British. It's another one to check out and it also incorporates a 12Ax7 preamp tube.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=153901
  • also the mesa bottle rocket is a good choice, a bit pricecy and reacts differently to different amps and guitars, but it sounds great through my super twin. Nails the AiC tone pretty well.
    I inquired about the Menatone pedal over at another forum, and one guy piped in and said he had it, but returned it. He went through a bunch of different 'Marshall' pedals and the main three he liked were the Menatone, Radial british tonebone (I think that's what it's called) and the Carl Martin Plexi-tone. I guess he kept the Plexi-tone because of it's 3 stage switching.

I find that to be a very attractive feature as well.
  • The LurkerThe Lurker Posts: 25
    Marshall Guv'nor, either the original (black box) or the reissue (silver finish with brass knobs and so on).

The HAO Rust Ride is also good, but can be a bit more extreme..... I tried it on bass and man, instant Lemmy sound....