Transparent solo boost

HeavyMetalNygeHeavyMetalNyge Posts: 144
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking for a boost pedal that will give me a clear, transparent boost in volume, without altering the tone of the overdrive pedals before it. I'm looking into the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster and the MXR Micro Amp. Any reviews on these two, or other suggestions?
I'm currently using a Boss Super Overdrive pedal as a volume boost and it makes the distortion pedal I'm using sound like the Boss.
"I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Basically, you're asking the impossible. Without boring anyone to death, here are a few points:

You have to bear in mind that whatever eq hump you introduce with your initial overdrive will be considerably exaggerated by boosting it. For example, say you're using the trusty ol' Tubescreamer: It introduces a mild midrange hump and you lose a little bottom end. If you boost that signal, gradually you end up with a massive midrange hump and piercing highs and the low end, while still boosted, gets completely overwhelmed. Also, you'll be increasing all the noise that goes along with overdrive.

That said, the SD and the Micro Amp are both fine for the money and are viable alternatives to the Keeley and Analogman pedals if you're on a budget. Whatever you decide to buy, though, I think you'll find after purchasing you get a far better result putting the boost before the overdrive.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,140
    i use the duncan pickup booster and it works very well. it does not add to gain or alter the amp sound. only makes it about 3 db louder to cut through the mix. you can alter the settings to magnify the pickup you are using, mimic a single coil, or mimic a high output humbucker. i just leave mine in neutral to use the pickups as they are. i use it mainly on my strat with noiseless pickups because they are super quiet so i am not constantly tweaking amp knobs. i suggest just plugging one in and listening for yourself.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • biffhardon wrote:
    Whatever you decide to buy, though, I think you'll find after purchasing you get a far better result putting the boost before the overdrive.
    Putting the boost before the overdrive won't give you a volume increase though, it will only give you an increase in gain.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    try a GE-7 or other equalizer. it will give you the boost and the flexibility to shape the distortion more as well.
  • exhausted wrote:
    try a GE-7 or other equalizer. it will give you the boost and the flexibility to shape the distortion more as well.

damn, this guy beat me too it, they work great for volume boost, i use it intentionally to get feedback, for like a 90's neil young sound, its nice having feedback control, but havign a feedback switch is great too! but yeah, it works great as a volume boost

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    ive been using an mxr micro amp for about 4 years now and it serves me just fine :) i put it through the fx loop of my amp. (its the only thing that goes through the loop everything else sits before the amp)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I suggest a very high impedence clean booster.

some very good ones are,

BJF Red Rooster.

Sweet Sound Habanero

Barber Launch pad (24 volts internal very clean)

GE -7 especially with the sniper mod is a perfect idea too

also Super Chili Picoso or Poblano Chili Picoso both from catlinbread

and perhaps a Zvex super hard on.

Oh and I absolutely like the Boost before the OD. It usually works best for me that way.

Micro amp works well for a lot of people and they are all over the place, it never hurts to try it out.

I think Kigcat had it in front for a while and then decided it sounded best in the EL

The pickup booster boosts to about 26db I believe. That might work well too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I'm looking for a boost pedal that will give me a clear, transparent boost in volume, without altering the tone of the overdrive pedals before it. I'm looking into the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster and the MXR Micro Amp. Any reviews on these two, or other suggestions?
    I'm currently using a Boss Super Overdrive pedal as a volume boost and it makes the distortion pedal I'm using sound like the Boss.

The only transparent boost I played was a Lovepedal Twin60, contact sean and have him make you one. Everything else will color your tone. The Twin 60 is a dual channel boost, so it is pretty cool.
    Another one that I would look at is the ProAnalog Boost Royale, it colors your tone, but only in a good way.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • sammicussammicus Posts: 6
    you should take a look at the Katana Clean Boost from Robert Keeley electronics. Good stuff. Keeley makes awesome pedals and does some sweet mods. I have a modded TS9 and Blues driver from him and i really like them.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Change the values of your volume pots from 250k to 500k, or from 500k to 1M.
  • "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."