Amp Help

HeavyMetalNygeHeavyMetalNyge Posts: 144
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bought a Peavey Butcher and it sounds pretty bad, but there are tons of good reviews for it which makes me wonder if something is wrong with mine.
The distortion is very hissy. Is it possible that I need to replace the tubes even though the amp doesn't pop or crackle or anything?
"I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it would probably help to upgrade the tubes. the speaker could have some factor in this as well, but the new tubes will help. i'm not all that familiar with peaveys, but this trick helped tame my marshall tsl down a little. it was like a freakin buzz saw before i changed the tubes. if your amp takes 12ax7 pres ( im sure it does ), try replacing the v1 pre tube with a lower gain tube such as a 5751. jan phillips makes an excellent military grade 5751. if that helps alittle, but not enough, then try replacing the other pre tubes. trial and error man, unless you have heard a specific tube in that specific amp, it's pretty much all trial and error. and again, i'm not sure how this would work in the peavey, but it certainly helped smooth out my marshall. the gain was just way to harsh and over the top before hand.
  • you know what, before you do anything, talk to this guy http://www.dougstubes.com/ and he will definately steer you in the right direction.