Options

Peavey 5150 Help?

HeavyMetalNygeHeavyMetalNyge Posts: 144
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just curious. I recently bought a used 5150 and want to know if anyone on here uses one and if they're happy with it. After playing thru it I'm not overly impressed and am considering selling. Just seems undefined/general lack of clarity. Should I try new tubes? I know there are electroharmonix 12ax7 and 6L6's in it now. I read one review on Harmony Central where this guy describes being on the brink of selling his 5150 for same reason I described but changed the tubes and now loves the amp.
"Sounds so close to a SLO 100 now it's unbeleivable and as good or better than the 5150 combo. THE CURE: Electro-Harmonix rated for high gain 12ax7's all the way across from V1 to V5 and two Sovtek 6L6 WXT+ power tubes. It is run at sixty watts only."

Anyone have an opinion on this? I'm not sure if I should invest the money to buy new tubes only to find that I still don't like the amp and still want to sell it.
"I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Just curious. I recently bought a used 5150 and want to know if anyone on here uses one and if they're happy with it. After playing thru it I'm not overly impressed and am considering selling. Just seems undefined/general lack of clarity. Should I try new tubes? I know there are electroharmonix 12ax7 and 6L6's in it now. I read one review on Harmony Central where this guy describes being on the brink of selling his 5150 for same reason I described but changed the tubes and now loves the amp.
    "Sounds so close to a SLO 100 now it's unbeleivable and as good or better than the 5150 combo. THE CURE: Electro-Harmonix rated for high gain 12ax7's all the way across from V1 to V5 and two Sovtek 6L6 WXT+ power tubes. It is run at sixty watts only."

Anyone have an opinion on this? I'm not sure if I should invest the money to buy new tubes only to find that I still don't like the amp and still want to sell it.

FYI it sounds nothing like an SLO. Not close, not even in the same ballpark. SLO is quite a bit more harmonically complex.

Changing to new tubes could help the amp, making sure all the bias points are set right etc.

I personally think it's a fine amp. I have a friend who gigged one for many years, but it may not be the character you want. It's not quite JCM 800 or 900 in sound and I haven't heard one for a while.

Personally I'd go with JJ's or Ruby's (rebranded chinese) over the EHX tubes as they tend to work well in that type amp. As for the 6L6's the sovteks are fine or you could go with Svetlana (winged C) or Tung Sol.

Before you spend money, do some shopping. Play a few different amps with 6L6's EL34's EL84's KT88's 5881's etc. to see how you like thier sound first. Then go back to your amp and decide whether it's worth it to you.

IS it a combo or a head? If it's a head, bring it with you, try different cabinets. Speakers make a huge difference

You can also try 5751's in the 12AX7 slot to try and tame it a little bit, it just depends on what you want.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    It's a head. I guess I really don't know what sound I want, or more likely how to get it. I've tried lots of different amps and never seem to find what I'm looking for. I love distortion, and I want to do everything from a crunch to Alice In Chains "Grind" melt your face off tone. I tend to lean towards classic rock and grunge. I've always liked EVH's sound, that beefed up Marshall tone, which is what led me to the 5150. I thought I could get crunch and balls out distortion, but it just seems like mud to me. The guy I bought it from said he recently had it checked out by an amp tech, etc. I played a 6505 in a music store once and it seemed way better. I'm playing through a carvin 212 http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=G212&CID=GA
    I really want to try something closed back and maybe vintage 30's.
    I'm so tired of searching for even a usable tone that I almost don't even want to play electric anymore. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • Options
    Depends on what tone your looking for. For the heavier side of things Peavey Triple X's have been stealing the glory.

What tone you looking for.

Cantrell used those 5150's at times. Maybe a OCD with it, to give you the crunch side of things. Those tend to make everything sound a little marshalish. You might be able to get away with the clean and drive channel, then a couple pedals with it.

Vintage 30's would help out a ton for sure.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    quapquap Posts: 27
    hi im using a peavey triple x maybe it helps...
    well since it is a peavey it maybe some similar to the 5150..mine is a 60watt played through a marshall 1969ax greenbacks on it 100watt cabinet.
    note that i changed the power tube to svetlana's el34 and rebiased.

what i do is use a power attenuator and turn up the master volume to full and the clean channel to half way.. and that way im getting a nice acdc angus tone"old school tone" sounds nice. and same setting single coils to get some similar pearl jam tone with the help of a ts9 for more punch when needed.
    in the distorted channel i use the same setting basically master full and volume channel very high to get the more power tube saturation posible and that's the way they sound nice. try it

of course you have to push the speakers very hard to make them sing
    if your head is 100watt try cabinets around 120 and 150 watt i think it helps a lot
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    It's a head. I guess I really don't know what sound I want, or more likely how to get it. I've tried lots of different amps and never seem to find what I'm looking for. I love distortion, and I want to do everything from a crunch to Alice In Chains "Grind" melt your face off tone. I tend to lean towards classic rock and grunge. I've always liked EVH's sound, that beefed up Marshall tone, which is what led me to the 5150. I thought I could get crunch and balls out distortion, but it just seems like mud to me. The guy I bought it from said he recently had it checked out by an amp tech, etc. I played a 6505 in a music store once and it seemed way better. I'm playing through a carvin 212 http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=G212&CID=GA
    I really want to try something closed back and maybe vintage 30's.
    I'm so tired of searching for even a usable tone that I almost don't even want to play electric anymore. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.

YOu need to try a Mesa Dual Rectifier with someone who knows how to set it up driving teh knobs.

It will give yo all you need, esp in teh mid-range crunch zone, as well as great cleans, and as much dense gain as you want.

Tone is easy to find, I really don't know what you are talking aboot.

What guitar are you using ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I agree with Paco, speakers make a huge difference. What cab are you currently running?

Here's an example: my friend has a Roland jazz chorus head, and he had a Roland 4x12 cab to match. Sounded muddy with the distortion but OK clean. He switched to a Marshall 4x12 and the sound difference is like night and day. Distortion is crisp and much better defined, and the cleans haven't lost anything.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    The new Marshall JVM is insane, but expensive. It can get everything from classic Marshall sound to the "New" Metal sound that you hear in today's bands, like KillSwitch Engage, Trivium, Lamb of God, etc...
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • Options
    I really don't know what you are talking aboot.

You Canadian? Just kidding

Im using an american deluxe fat strat. I also have a Fender Squire les paul style that I put an SD JB and SD Jazz into.
    Thanks for the help, I'm going to try out a Mesa in a store and see if I can try a power attentuator, as well as some different speaker cabs.
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    You Canadian? Just kidding

Im using an american deluxe fat strat. I also have a Fender Squire les paul style that I put an SD JB and SD Jazz into.
    Thanks for the help, I'm going to try out a Mesa in a store and see if I can try a power attentuator, as well as some different speaker cabs.

Yeah, I am a warm Canadian, otherwise known as Australian !! (Doncha know all canucks are just cold Aussies ?)

I thnk a lot of your tone problem is coming from your confused guitars. Fat strat is Fenders attempt to make a Les Paul, and a cheap Tele with humbuckers shoehorned in sounds nice in theory but lacks too many things that make an LP an LP. You are trying to get Rolls Royce tone out of an old Chevy.
    If you want LP tone, you gotta go with a guitar that has what you need. I suggest you try some different guitars before you embark on an amp change. Cabs definitely matterthough , no 2 ways.
    Tone is a balance between your guitar and amp/cab.
    It's easy to think that cheap guitars are as good as dearer ones, but simply they just ain't.
    An ESP ltd MH400 or better is gonna rock your socks, as will a Gibson BFG. Those nice SD pups would be better in an SG type guitar of some sort. My ESP ltd Viper would suck em up, and there are plenty of things out there that will.
    J&D Luthiers do a nice base model LP copy as well, Canadian i believe, shouldn't break the bank.

Anyhoo, happy hunting !!
    Music is not a competetion.