achiving PJ sound with my gear

eCioeCio Posts: 23
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
My gear:

73' Gibson L6S Deluxe (all parts original)
Laney VC30 (original tubes, think they are sovtek)
Boss SD-1 (Stock...)

how can i come close to recent PJ sound? maybe i can do this with the amp EQ?
if i can't with current gear, what single or couple of pedals do you recommend me?

and i'm planning on retubing the amp with JJ electronics tubes, maybe this wikk help me?

thanks a lot fellow pjammers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think it might help some of the people in here help you if they know which PJ "sound" you're looking for. PJ has a lot of different guitar/amp sounds i.e. Ten sounds totally different than Riot act. Is there a song or album in particular that has the guitar sound that you like the best?
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • eCioeCio Posts: 23
    as i said in the post, i look for recent PJ sound, binaural/riot act.
  • Well, can't help you there. I'm into the Ten sound myself, and as I said in the post, Ten is a lot different than Riot Act.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • eCio wrote:
    how can i come close to recent PJ sound?

Practice, practice, practice!

And some healthy experimentation.

I'm afraid that's the most help any of us will be, sorry.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    even if you had the same gear, it probably wouldnt be the same sound.

its in the fingers, the way you play the guitar, the way you strum etc...

and also what you"hear" on record may not be exactly what you "hear"if you were to play it....
  • eCioeCio Posts: 23
    of course i can't achive the exact same sound i hear in a pj album, i know that.

but i wish to achive the overdrive sound you can find in such songs as: nothing as it seems, parting waves, other side, hard to imagine, i am mine, bushleaguer,cropduster and others

to come close to be more accurate
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    eCio wrote:
    of course i can't achive the exact same sound i hear in a pj album, i know that.

but i wish to achive the overdrive sound you can find in such songs as: nothing as it seems, parting waves, other side, hard to imagine, i am mine, bushleaguer,cropduster and others

to come close to be more accurate

tube amp.
    a couple tubescreamers. ts 9 mod's, ts 808, shannon overdrive, or ibanez sonic distortion

mike used a "Fender blender" on nothing as it seems...

otherwise...id check out those pedals i mentioned above...and use combinations of them
  • its gonna be hard getting your L6s to get that sound. i have one and its definetly a guitar that sounds nothing like anything else. I would maybe either cut down on your volume and set the varitone switch to 6 or 5[six being away from the strings] i havent played a laney before but i would turn the treble up to 7 and the mid and bass in the center to start. i dunno i hope that helps man.
  • Check out the Riot Act euipment pdf. file - that has all of the gear (pedals, guitars, amps) that they used during the recording of Riot Act.

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/index.html

If your looking for Stone's sound, go try out the Fulltone Pro Distortion. Obviously this is only one part of the equation, but it could start you on your way towards the sound you're looking for.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • i really like the yield sound. anyone know how to get that?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Dial in a good crunch, the JJ's should suit you well, set the EQ to your own ear.

Just set the amp to the verge of breaking up dial up the eq and set the SD-1 with the volume up really loud and the gain backed down a bit. You'll be right there.

It'd be easier to get a Rolling Stones sound with the LS-6 but I think you can manage Pearl Jam ok. It's not going to sound exact but a good crunch should give you a solid rock tone, that you can work with.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i really like the yield sound. anyone know how to get that?

Hire Brenden O'Brien.

......zzzzzzzzzzzing!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hire Brenden O'Brien.

......zzzzzzzzzzzing!

My buddy at Doppler says that "The Music" is Brenden's latest project.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Practice, practice, practice!

And some healthy experimentation.

I have to agree, with Gibson humbuckers, a Class A combo and an SD-1, you shouldn't have too much trouble nailing anything from "Vitalogy" to "Riot Act" - especially Stone's parts.

With alot of the PJ riffs and leads, the tone is in the fingers. I know that sounds flaky but it's true.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    My buddy at Doppler says that "The Music" is Brenden's latest project.

Ooo...

Their first album was pretty damn good.

We'll see what happens...