Costumising My Guitar, Suggestions?

eCioeCio Posts: 23
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I own a 73 or 75 Gibson L6S Deluxe, all still original except for the tuners (replaced by previous owner to Grovers), as it seems it needs some setup, so I've thought maybe I can modify it a little bit.
Now, i don't have a clue what to do, i'm planning to give it to Israel's no' 1 guitar tech to setup it and modify it if I choose to, but I want some ideas before I walk into his shop and ask him to do something...

can you give me any suggestions about pickups, saddles, maybe even adding some extras on it? thanks.

current specs:
2 original black plastic encased humbuckers (i don't know the type, they are a Bill Lawrence design), tune-o-matic bridge, string throu-body (maybe it is possible to change it into stop tail with bigsby... that might be interesting...) one volume, one tone, 3 way switch.

now, i was thinking about maybe changing the frets as well, i find them a little thick for my taste.

oh, one more thing, previous owner installed 0.10 stings on it, but it is a gibson so I think maybe i should make the switch to 0.11...

thanks a lot for any commentiers!

BTW, it is the middle guitar in the picture link bellow

http://www.solidrock.co.il/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1150
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Is that a pic of your guitars? I almost bought a Takamine like that a little while ago.

How to mod, eh? The pickups alone are a three-hour discussion. What kinda sound you shooting for? Heavy? Bright? Dark? Thick? You play mostly clean, gritty, overdriven, or heavily-distorted? Or a mix of the above?

Okay, here's what I personally would do if that were mine... replace the pickups with a Fralin chrome-covered Unbucker in the neck and a Harmonic Design Z-90 in the bridge. Ditch the string-thru, and switch to a stop-tailpiece. Graphite nut. Put in a concentric-stacked Volume knob, and replace the stock Tone knob with a push-pull Tone knob to coil-tap the PAF. If you really want, you can replace the fret wire... I like a good medium-jumbo myself... and the strings are your choice. If you feel it's too "slinky" in sound or feel, go for .11's, but don't do it "just because."
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • eCioeCio Posts: 23
    Ok.
    I mainly play classic rock, pj, aic, sg, and others. i also like the style of mike johnson.

I like the way my neck pickup sounds now (I bet a new pickup will sound fuller and richer, but i like the idea of it), which is very bassy, warm and clear sound. the bridge pickup's sound is ok, but i bet it can be much better.

i like playing my guitar clean, OD, and distorted.
    for example i realy like the way ed's sg sounds...

do you think adding a piezo tune-o-matic can work out well?