Songs that makes you a better guitarist

eCioeCio Posts: 23
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So... FINALLY I was giving Little Wing a fair chance and that time I learned it off a video on YouTube... and to tell you the truth, it was much easier than I thought!
It might be because I have some talent (argueable...) but once I saw with my own eyes how to do it I didn't even had to look in the tabs like all the other times I did tried to use tabs, and I can proudly say that after only 12 hours I can play it fluidly and, most important, not in a mechanical way but with a lot of feel! (first time I'm taking pride in my guitar playing! seriously!)

So the next song that I felt like playing right away was Yellow Ledbetter.
As a huge fan and a below-avarage guitarist I already knew how to play it, but I always sounded very thin and souless, BUT trying it again after practicing some Hendrix groove it fell dead on!!! there I was, playing YL with all the little fills and adding some of my own and it sounded great!

My point is that there are those special songs that once you know get to know them beyond the technical aspect, you unlock a wide array of other tunes influenced by it that you never nailed before, Little Wing is one of them.

Do you know some other songs that can do the same for me or did it for you?

Thanks, and I hope that I helped someone out there because that sure made me a better guitarist in an instant!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i'll be trying it...i'm in need of one of these right now, in a little bit of a rut.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • I usually like to play different styles every few weeks to keep things fresh...im basically an alternative rock guitarist but lately ive been drop tuning to open c (cgcfac) and playing some hardcore riffs for my friend who wants me to fill in a ltitle bit...i hate hardcore music but its not bad to play

ive been playing some blues lately
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Learning Phish has helped me so much. I recommend "Divided Sky" and "Stash"... both hard but i learned so much from them both.

Could you post that youtube link so i can check that out? i tried little wing with the tabs a few weeks ago but i couldn't get close with it.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Learning Phish has helped me so much. I recommend "Divided Sky" and "Stash"... both hard but i learned so much from them both.

Could you post that youtube link so i can check that out? i tried little wing with the tabs a few weeks ago but i couldn't get close with it.

Stash is so groovy...I saw Trey earlier this summer, just phenomenal. :)

I was gunna ask for a link too :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Try improvising over Little Wing now, creating your own version.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V