Marshall JCM2000 TSL and 1960 Slant Cab

Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
thoughts? I'm about to get a really great price on this combo....

i dig the footswitch of clean/crunch/lead and the FX loop will definately come in handy for me (hence the decision not to get the DSL)

Any other thoughts?

Shall i get a ts-9 with this ....and i also want a uni-vibe with the foot controller...

thoughts please!

Thanks

-Seth
9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    In my opinion, there are other overdrives that sound better in front of a Marshall. If I was you, I'd grab one of the Shannons before he's out, it sounds killer in front of my Sovtek.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    You have clean crunch and lead in the amp, the TS9 is kind of superfluous.

I'd try and find some kind of uncolored clean boost. It would be more useful to you. One of my favorite Marshall tones is that clean channel with the gain cranked up, but you'll want clean too so using a boost with no mid hump will essentially give you more of what you have and provide you with 4 channels without having to touch the amp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    You have clean crunch and lead in the amp, the TS9 is kind of superfluous.

That assumes you like preamp-tube drive.

It also assumes you like Marshalls.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That assumes you like preamp-tube drive.

It also assumes you like Marshalls.

If one is about to drop 2500 large on a Marshall half stack, I make a few assumptions yes. If one is purchasing a marshall/mesa boogie etc. I assume they would be partial to preamp tube drive yes.

The TSL has that lovely half power switch so you can cook it a bit. It also has a nice deep switch.

I mean yeah, having a tube screamer (or 3+) in your arsenal is never a bad thing, I'm just suggest shopping clean boosts too. Having more of what you have is never a bad thing either. The shannon kind of gives you both with the volume output and it's a shit ton smoother than the Ibanez TS9.

I was just suggesting a clean boost because of the lovelieness of the crunch one can obtain on the clean channel.

I have almost no use for the red. I generally use the Green, Green Pushed and Yellow on TSL's. The TS9 would certainly add fattness you wouldn't get from a CB. It just depends if you want that or not.

I was just saying that the amp contains mid controls, and it's got plenty of gain on hand, the CB gives you all the volume push you want and you can tweak the fatness from he Amps EQ.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    If one is about to drop 2500 large on a Marshall half stack, I make a few assumptions yes. If one is purchasing a marshall/mesa boogie etc. I assume they would be partial to preamp tube drive yes.

I know, and I agree with you...

I was just expressing my personal distaste for preamp distortion, and Marshalls in general.

But still, a Shannon or a Rat or Love would add a different (and in my opinion, preferable) drive sound to the Marshall's arsenal.
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    Ive had that setup for at least 6 or 7 years now and i think the TSL is a great amp very versatile and the footswitch is great cuz u can turn your reverb on/off and the fx loop on/off too.Since ive had the amp ive never thought of selling it and as far as gear goes that says a lot.
    Cornell pwns u
  • hey Seth, scott from evenflow here. I play the TSL and would def recommend it. I have a Shannon OD in front as well that I use as a boost for the boost if that makes any sense. I love the footswitch as well it just makes it real easy to get from sound to sound and the effects loop (though I'm not using it right now) is a nice added feature as is the half power switch, it lets you get that "Tone" w/o melting your face off. It does every thing I want it to I guess. I've never played any real "boutique" amps like the ones some of these guys an the board here mention and I really think I would probably dig them way too much to even try one and I KNOW I could'nt ever afford one so the TSL is prolly my last amp (unless I hit powerball) so yeah I guess in my own rambling way I've decided that I like my amp. and I think you would like it too. Hope this helps, scott

http://www.evenflowrocks.com
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!