The 2008 PJ Gear Update FAQ

Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Thanks to the wonderful folks at 10C and George Webb for providing us with some answers to many many questions we have all been asking each other, and to all of you on M&G for helping with creating the questions.

Hello Guitarhero,

You can find George’s responses to your questions below in red. If the question is left blank, rest assure it’s intentional.

Cheers,
10c

1. Is it possible to get a newly revised signal flow chart including rack effects?

Sure, if we had them to give to you. But we don't. See next question.

2. Could we please see some Tech notes from "Pearl Jam" (if available)
(spreadsheet like in the synergy section)

We stopped taking notes too... Everyone who works for the band is now required to have a photographic memory. Many of us had to go back to school for that.

3. How are the pedalboards powered (ie: Brick, Pedal Power Pad, etc) and do they run through a power socket on the board to a good ol' fashioned extension cord into a power strip or otherwise?

All the PJ guys - Stone, Mike and Jeff - use the "JuiceBox" (version 2.0) to power their pedalboards. (http://www.pedalgear.net <http://www.pedalgear.net&gt; ) We have for years now. Getting electrical power to the JuiceBox (mounted on each pedalboard) is simply a matter of putting an extension cord into the cable snake that is run to each pedalboard. The JuiceBoxes are very flexible and accommodating for a variety of pedals and ground schemes. We've had no problems with them at all. The new ones (version 3.0) are even better in terms of their flexibility and power capabilities. We're using a 3.0 for Ed's pedalboard on the solo tour.

4. Any changes to the accessories
(picks, strings/gauges, capos, mic's *ed's switching of mics during shows*)

Ed has now switched to using the .60mm Dunlop "Tortex Wedge" pick (the new white ones) and is using the Dunlop-made Herco "Flex 50" nylon pick for use with acoustic instruments. Stone continues to use the standard .60mm Dunlop Tortex picks, and Mike continues to use the standard .73mm Dunlop Tortex pick. Jeff, a couple of years ago, switched from the Tortex to Dunlop's new Ultex material, gauge 1.0mm.

Stone, Mike and Ed all still use GHS Boomers (10-46). Jeff continues to use Dean Markley SR2000 medium gauge bass strings on most his instruments, although he does use Rotosound "RS66" strings on some basses and Rotosound "RS88" strings on a couple basses for a different sound.

This may sound like a shameless plug, but sincerely we can't say enough good things about the support and generosity Pearl Jam has received over the years from companies like Dunlop, GHS and Dean Markley. They've all supported us from day one, no questions asked.

Capos PJ uses are the Shubb "C-1".

The reason Ed's Audix OM-7 microphones are changed out for fresh ones throughout the course of a PJ show is because of moisture. As he sings, moisture from his lungs is breathed into the mic capsule and will make the microphone (any microphone) sound dull and tired, unresponsive. For the sake of sound quality, the microphones are changed-out incrementally to keep things soundiing fresh. The frequency of the mic change is more often if the performance is being done in a naturally humid environment. The 'used' mics are allowed to dry-out and are re-used over and over. The Audix mics have worked quite well for us over the years. Our sound people have been very pleased with the quality and durability of the mics, and the company is very helpful and responsive with upkeep of the microphones.

5. Can we get an approx amount of guitars available in the "warehouse?" and each guys top 3?
Mike: 59 les paul, 59 strat rosewood, 59 strat maple?
Stone: 59 Pink "Frankenstrat," ?, ?
Ed: Tele, Schecter PT, Gibson SG?
Jeff: Red/Black Modulus, Wellstone Bass, 12 stringer?
Matt: Any chance he gets to play he loves it?

You know that saying... "I could tell you, but then I'd have to... " It applies here

6. What brand of cables and patchlink cables does the band use (also any wireless gear)

PJ uses Canare "GS-6" for all their backline instrument cable. Switchcraft connectors are primarily used as well. All the cable and connectors are purchased raw and in bulk. The backline technicians build their own cables to the needed lengths and with the specific connectors.

Mike and Jeff use - and have used for the past 15 years - old analog Sony WRR-820/WRT-820 wireless receivers and transmitter beltpacks in conjunction with their instruments. The units have been good to us over the years and produce a "color" that has been beneficial to their stage tone, but the Sony's are getting old in technology and, as such, increasingly difficult to repair/maintain. We anticipate making a change in wireless technology in the near future, but nothing has been determined at this point.

Stone uses a wireless in conjunction with one, and only one, of his instruments - his Taylor "T5" acoustic/electric guitar. For that instrument, the acoustic output is transmitted wirelessly via a Lectronsonics "IS400" digital-hybrid receiver/transmitter. The electric signal is transmitted through his electric guitar rig via a wired lead.

Secondary Questions, if there is time

1. What insurance company do the guys use to insure their equipment while on the road?

2. What is the earliest known signal flow diagrams for the band? (guitars/bass, drums if available)

3. And one fine gearhead would like to know if George Webb is currently available

Again there is no rush, and we do know the 10C is actively doing everything they can for us and if this is too much - we do understand, but thank you for all your hard work and your time.

We all hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Seth Dolled and the rest of the M&G'ers that allowed me to send this message on their behalf!
9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    YAY! A response!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • one more reason why i absolutely love this band,
    their staff,
    and everything they stand for.

Tits!

Seriously,
    how many bands will get their guys to give you the skinny on their equipment,
    i mean, down to the size of their picks!?!

I said, the size of their PICKS!
    :D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Hells. Yes. We got a reply!!!!!

Nice work guitarhero27! Thankyou!
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Hells. Yes. We got a reply!!!!!

Nice work guitarhero27! Thankyou!

don't thank me, thank the amazing staff that still takes care of the fans every which way.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Wow that's awesome. Thanks for doing that for us. There is great info there!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    What about Matt? Id like to know what he changed this year, cuz his set certainly is different.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Personally,
    I'd be interested in knowing exactly what pedals PJ has on their Pedal-Boards these days (especially Mike & Stone).
    I've seen a few photos, but I'm not able to make everything out because the pedal's are either obscure or obscured.
    Plus, pedals are a bit more obtainable (and portable) for your average player (as opposed to rack-gear). . .
    I'm not all that interested in rack gear - the rack-gear I use is in the studio, & I wouldn't use it on the road anyway
    (unless it was simple to use like a TC G-Force or G-Major). Who among us really uses rack gear for their typical gigs
    anyway (maybe one) - And I certainly don't make enough money to be able to afford the gear-tech & roadies it takes
    to tour with an entire rack of effects - & who's gonna set it all up & tear it all down every night (I bet once PJ started
    using rack-effects they stopped doing it themselves) - Most rack-gear is fairly impractical without a team behind you.
    Anyhow, maybe some pedal-board infornation would be nice when they have some time . . .
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    does it mention how bad Mikes tone was on this last tour? Too much phase in there. Muddys the mix and awful lead tone. He had great tone on the 05-06 tour and I understand you always want to improve. I HATE it when EVH says he is a "tone chaser" but at some point you don want to lose a good tone.
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    Im surprised Mike uses a flexible pick like that. Lead work is so precise that Im surprised he likes that much “give” in his picks
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Personally,
    I'd be interested in knowing exactly what pedals PJ has on their Pedal-Boards these days (especially Mike & Stone).
    I've seen a few photos, but I'm not able to make everything out because the pedal's are either obscure or obscured.
    I agree. The new pics of stones board that are floating around are hard to work everything out. It's definitely different.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Sounds like some of us are giving our gift-horse a dental exam...

I'm glad that a busy guy took some time to share some cool info that most fans of most bands don't get. Thanks for sharing!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Sounds like some of us are giving our gift-horse a dental exam...

I'm glad that a busy guy took some time to share some cool info that most fans of most bands don't get. Thanks for sharing!
    Not me. I am very grateful for the information.
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Not me. I am very grateful for the information.
    Gotta agree with PJ Gurl on this one. There have been a few pics of the boards and we can tell what Mike's using but Stone has some interesting boxes on his. Still, we got a response which is amazing from such busy people. All the M&Gers appreciate it, I'm sure.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Outstanding that George took the time out for all of us, and i know he is not necessarily entitled to just answer any q's we have. Still, this just made me hungry for more info. He's talkin' bout picks and extension cords, i need to hear about Stone's Strats, pedals and amps!!!!!!

thanks george, cheers

aaron