Mike & Whammy Pedal

Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pearljamofficial/2571775591/

I wonder for what song....should be interesting solo's these days!

-Seth
9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Hmmm...I know Jeff had one for a while too...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Wow! I never thought Mike would have a Whammy! I wonder what he uses it for too...
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Good eyes.

My whammy pedal is currently out of my loop for a while. I got burnt out on it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I think I've owned a whammy 4 times now and each time I get really tired of it. I only ever used it on one recording as a noisemaker.

And because I really only used the octave capability and didn't use the pitch bending I replaced it finally with an ehx micropog that I'm pretty happy with.

But everytime I listen to muse, damned if I don't want a whammy again.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's got to be some solos or if he dosen't adjust it, perhaps harmonizing on some stuff with dirt. Super fun pedal but with the POG around, I'm amazed EHX hasn't got an expression pedal yet.

The freaking octron kills, you have to learn how to use it, and it's really NOT intelligent pitch shifting, but damn if it isn't a great octave fuzz. The Octave Down included is well worth the extra change over the standard 160 or so average octave up fuzz.

Nice grab, I never would have believed it if I didn't see it first.

Jack White has to have half the nation on to POG's. I wonder who is using the HOG.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    I know he's been using one since 2006, but not sure which songs he uses it on. Maybe it's just there for whenever he feels like using it?
  • Kegzy05Kegzy05 Posts: 93
    I'm pretty sure he uses the whammy (harmonizer) in the first solo of Rockin in the free world on Immagine Dvd. Could be wrong but. You can definately see it on his board.
    "I dont question, our existence
    I just question, our modern needs"
  • If he's just using it as a harmoniser he's sorta missing the point. There are MUCH better pedals for that purpose - the Whammy 4 sucks too much tone. Each to their own.
    Do ALL digitech pedals suck tone? My hyperphaser does but I haven't noticed TOO much with my digidelay...and if memory serves me right, the whammy in question is digitech
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Do ALL digitech pedals suck tone? My hyperphaser does but I haven't noticed TOO much with my digidelay...and if memory serves me right, the whammy in question is digitech

anything that isn't a great cable inbetween your guitar and your amp sucks tone a little, anything that loads up the signal. Mike Uses a wireless anyway where they make it back up is in the buffering and tube splitters.

There are some Pete Cornish and Alan Durham for two that are not big fans of true bypass.

In other words a well buffered system can help make up for tone suckage.

I have a Digiverb (fet bypass) and a DL4 at the end of my chain and a Morley Bad Horsie wah (with a considerable buffer) at the front and I've had no issues with several pedals inbetween although it does sound better strait in.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Do ALL digitech pedals suck tone? My hyperphaser does but I haven't noticed TOO much with my digidelay...and if memory serves me right, the whammy in question is digitech
    The Whammy pedal isn't like the X series. The bypass signal in the latest Whammy is just poorly engineered.
    The Whammy pedal isn't like the X series. The bypass signal in the latest Whammy is just poorly engineered.
    The X-Series is made differently? Don't get me wrong, I love the pedals...except for the tone suckage