too loud, cops, bitchy neighbor, and another obstacle

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a question regarding noise levels and neighbors for all of you in bands out there.

I am 34, and I play in a band (rock/grungy/surf style) with myself singing and playing guitar, and my roomate plays drums. I bought a house in a crappy neighborhood 2.5 years ago. We have been jamming in the back room of this house twice a week (usually 7-10pm) for the entire duration I’ve lived there with no complaints. I’m sure you see where this is going…

Some background on the neighborhood:
There are two houses behind and on the left of us, both around 50 feet away. Then there is this shitty apartment complex across the street (at least 200 feet away). This apartment complex has about 12-15 one bedroom units and rents for dirt cheap. There is a wide variety of cultures living there, mostly young people. I hear loud rap music and latin music constantly. There have been people living there with the bass-mobiles that rattle windows in the past, but not right now. There is a drug dealer who sits outside his place, drinks beer and hangs with a group of people all the time, although he doesn’t play loud music or seem to bother anyone. Also, every Friday at the high school two blocks away, there are football games and the marching band can be heard clearly.

It’s possible that nobody has called the cops yet because a lot of the neighbors don’t speak English, leading me to believe that they may be here illegally.

Anyways - to the problem. Last night was rehearsal. At about 9:00pm, there was frantic banging on one of the windows to the jam room. I went outside to see this woman of about 45-50 years old standing there with all the body language you would expect.

I immediately introduced myself and asked “what’s up?”
I’ve never seen her before this (must’ve just moved in), and she said that, in her apartment across the street, her windows were rattling from the drums. Now I know she is stretching the truth because I do go outside often to hear how loud it is, and there is no way that as far away as she is that it is that bad. I figure she can hear us though, just as I hear all the riff-raff from their parking lot.

She said that the windows are thin in my house and I should soundproof the room. Then I asked her if it was OK to play until 10, and I will get something to cover my windows and deaden the sound this weekend.

She really didn’t answer - as she was saying that she is a “rocker”, and she understands, she says, “I wouldn’t be complaining if it didn’t suck.”

WTF?! Are you kidding me? Then we got a little heated, I said I didn’t give a shit about her opinion of if the music sucks or not. I said it’s not too loud, and that she was just trying to move into this shitty, artsy neighborhood and turn it into a retirement home.

We thought about stopping after her complaint, but I don’t want her thinking she can move in after 3 days and run the town. I should’ve known better.

So we played a few more of the “quieter” songs. Within 20 minutes, three sheriff’s officers were banging on the windows. They said that the ordinances state that I am in violation if it can be heard from 50 feet away. In my opinion that law was written for the bass-mobiles, and unfortunately we fall under violation of this. The officers kept saying that it was a school night and that they were banging on the window for 30 minutes. That was a stretch too. Why is live music so taboo?! I was very accommodating to the officers, apologizing and explaining that there is a common understanding that this is just the way that it is around here. The whole neighborhood is loud.

It looks like under the “law” I am in the wrong here though. I will try my best to soundproof with what little money I have. They two windows seem to be the problem. I’m wondering if carpet, Styrofoam, or a huge comforter would do the job.

Anybody ever have a problem like this?
Soundproofing?
Can I be arrested?

If I do get arrested, it’ll just be good publicity…”Free the music!”
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• being a drummer myself, I have found some people will complain even if they just barely hear them.

When we bought our house, first thing I did was get in good with the neighbors. I have played until 2am and no one has complained.

Try and pack up the windows with heavy blankets as they are a big sound leak as well air ducts
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Haha, the irony of this post. I got angry neighbors behind me, too. They tried calling the cops at 8...which our noise ordnance doesn't go into effect until ten. Well, I've got the most "stroke" in the neighborhood and ALL the other neighbors LOVE hearing us. We're also very respectful and don't play late into the night unless it's acoustic (which you can't hear outside). Also, I work for a police department. Also, like you, my old high school is behind our neighborhood so you can easily hear the band and the band camp. So, I need to put up with a bitchy neighbor. Oh well, they'll probably move, hopefully. I can hear their damn kids when I come home from work at TWO in the morning. You can get a fine if you're a repeat offender and arrested if it continues. Carpeting and Styrofoam will help. Also, look for loopholes in the ordnance or talk it over with the officers and neighbor. I had one neighbor move on me a few years ago. I didn't like them (along with everyone else). Another neighbor says if we ever "make it big" that they want to be on the VH1 Behind The Music.

Try to find some common ground, I guess that's the best you can do.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    First off, not acting like an ass and thinking it's ok to play music from 7-10pm will probably go a long way. Have respect for other people, even if they don't respect you. Not everyone works the same hours you do. What if you had neighbors that had to get up at 2am for work? You just deprived them of sleep. You have to think about things like that. Despite what most people think, It's not your RIGHT to play music, it's a priviledge. That's why we have laws. All the "Damn the Man" talk will get you thrown in jail.

Now, in your defense, I would suggest soundproofing and moving your practice time up a little earlier. Even though I go to bed at 10pm during the week, I don't want to hear noise before then. Ask your neighbors if it's ok to play during a certain time. If they don't mind, go to town. If not, find a time that works, or find another place to practice. Going by your description of the neighborhood, I'd suggest the latter, so your gear doesn't get turned into drug money.
  • It's the same thing as kids playing hockey outside or mowing the lawn, though. People have night jobs-like me. Fact of the matter is, noise ordnance allows us to play from 8AM to 10PM on week nights and until midnight on weekends. We're following the law. It's a privilege, yes, but it's also unnecessary to be new in the neighborhood(at least with my neighbors) and bitch about something that no other person has ever complained about. Also, when they came to tell us, they shinned lights in our basement, first, then banged on the door.

In this guy's case, the woman insulted his music which probably sparked something. It's not a matter of "I don't like your music", the guy was insulted by her which isn't called for.
  • I started the whole discussion with the neighbor being very respectful. She is just one of those people who is out to complain about something. if it wasnt the music, it would probably be my car parked on their side of the street. she's a bitch. and yes, you're probably right, i was annoyed at her juvenile comment and probably reacted badly. But it really seemed like a no-win situation. she lied to me and told me she was the property manager too. I know the guy who is the property manager there. he's the one who blasts rap music all day sunday. he and I and most of the other neighbors have an undiscussed respect for each others loudness. I know it sounds crazy, and it just takes that one old lady to screw up the whole balance. I know I have to give on this one...just how much is the question?

I guess we'll have to start earlier, and I will soundproof the shit out of my house so as to not disturb people, because ultimaltely, I know 99% of people probably dont want to overhear their neighbors, no matter what it is - screaming kids, bass music, jackhammers.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I know 99% of people probably dont want to overhear their neighbors, no matter what it is - screaming kids, bass music, jackhammers.
    On the contrary, at my girlfriends or sometimes even my place, the neighbors will come out, set up lawn chairs and listen to the music. Yeah, you may have to give a little but she will, too. I wish you the absolute best of luck. Oh, lying and saying she's the property manager doesn't look good in a court of law, in any instance.
  • On the contrary, at my girlfriends or sometimes even my place, the neighbors will come out, set up lawn chairs and listen to the music. Yeah, you may have to give a little but she will, too. I wish you the absolute best of luck. Oh, lying and saying she's the property manager doesn't look good in a court of law, in any instance.

thanks man, i'll need it. I've got a lot of work to do to fix it up.
    that's cool about your neighbors. sounds like your hood is a little more normal than mine. I dont think our neigbors like our sound - they mostly like rap and latin stuff...or maybe we do just suck!

peace!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I started the whole discussion with the neighbor being very respectful. She is just one of those people who is out to complain about something. if it wasnt the music, it would probably be my car parked on their side of the street. she's a bitch. and yes, you're probably right, i was annoyed at her juvenile comment and probably reacted badly. But it really seemed like a no-win situation. she lied to me and told me she was the property manager too. I know the guy who is the property manager there. he's the one who blasts rap music all day sunday. he and I and most of the other neighbors have an undiscussed respect for each others loudness. I know it sounds crazy, and it just takes that one old lady to screw up the whole balance. I know I have to give on this one...just how much is the question?

I guess we'll have to start earlier, and I will soundproof the shit out of my house so as to not disturb people, because ultimaltely, I know 99% of people probably dont want to overhear their neighbors, no matter what it is - screaming kids, bass music, jackhammers.

Give her some spandex pants, a halter top and a tambourine so she can join-in.
  • Find out when the noise ordinance is not in effect (ie times you can play), don't soundproof anything, point your practice set up towards that window, OPEN IT, and blast the fuck out of it so that bitch can't legally do shit.

If there's one thing I've ever learned, the only thing that matters here is the law. If you're obeying the law, she can't do shit. Now, I'm plenty respectful to my neighbors (fortunately, I live in a college neighborhood and they wouldn't care if it was 3 AM), but if she came over and said you "suck", I'd be as relentless as legally possible.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...