acoustic/electric?

stateoflove83stateoflove83 Posts: 9
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Whats up... I've been playing pretty casually for about 2 years with a basic Yamaha acoustic and I have a pretty basic electric also but I'm looking at upgrading my acoustic. I want to get a cut-out b/c I like the look and I like having the room to reach the high notes, but I'm not sure what all I should look for. I probably am going to get an acoustic/electric just for the sheer fact that if I ever want to play publicly or anything I'll have that option to plug-in, but other than that I need some tips on what to look for, what's best, which brands are quality for A/E. I'm looking at spending around 300-400 b/c I want a decent one but I'm also not a pro and I don't need something ridiculously awesome that'll kick my wallet's ass. Any help would be awesome, thanks!
The media as watchdog is absolute shit!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    well, in that price range the major differences are in electronics and looks.

Look for Fishman electronics. I have a Fender DG-22CE that is an excellent guitar.

Takamine (G Series) and Ibanez also make guitars in your price range.

You may also check out the Dean Exotica. It's pretty nice for that money.

I've heard that Epiphone Acoustics have had pretty lax quality control over the last few years so you may want to stay away from them.

Hell, you may want to stay with Yamaha. I believe the compass's are in that price range and they sound nice.

Bottom line, go in, play every guitar you like and then make a decision.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I have a Takamine G-series and I love it. The model I have (334C, I think) was about $500 when I bought it about 5 years ago, but I know they make a couple lower models.

I played a few Deans not too long ago, and I liked those.

At that price range (or any price range really), brand name doesn't mean a whole lot. Play a bunch of guitars and find what feels and plays best to you.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • are ovations shitty? i have yet to go over to the guitar shop to try any out but i was wondering why i don't hear much about them- by the way, i'm looking for an acoustic/electric that is as loud unplugged as a typical acoustic, so not a chet atkins gibson or anything similar if you know what i mean.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    American made ovations aren't bad, if that's your thing. It seems like you either love them or hate them. Personally, My friend has one, and he loves it. It plays nice enough, but I just don't like plastic guitars.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ovations are not exactly shitty. However they are way overpriced. It's a love/hate thing. They sound fine to me espically the Adamas and the custom models but they are in excess of $1000. The problem is you can't sit with that damn bowl and it just dosen't sound as good when you are not plugged in. It's a definate live guitar. I like the 12 strings ok, but not enough to buy one. I'm not going to steer you away. They are decent guitars I just can't really get past they lyrachord back. They were designed by an airplane pilot and they are manufactured and sold by the Kaman corp (Takamine etc.)

If you like it, go for it. I think nay I know you get more for your money in other makes.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanks, you guys fucking rock- i knew i could get some good responses from pearl jam dorks like myself.
  • whad up... i got an alvarez a/e 60ck, it's an artist series.. pretty nice, good electronics with a built in tuner, dark wood, its pretty... plus i had 300 bucks knocked off b/c of some almost invisible blemish on the back. thanks for all your help in looking for one.