Been Playing Bass for almost 5 months now...

EdveddmfcEdveddmfc Posts: 17
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
and I have a few questions.
I have been taking lessons, once a week for four and a half months now, and my bass teacher is the best in Cincinnati. He's the only bassist in cincinnati that can play rock, blues, jazz, who has also been in a symphony orchestra playing upright bass.
I bought a Fender Jazz Bass(Mexican made), and it's very nice, but I am still using the strings that came on it. I don't know anything about anything about music setup, amps, machinery of the bass. It has a nice thick sound, but I'd like to get the sound to be a little bit meatier.
What kind of strings can someone recommend?
What is a good amp to go with this bass? I am currently using a startup amp(Hartke, 60 watts, 8") and I would like to upgrade to something that will give me a louder, less fuzzy sound. I want something that I can use for some gigs I will be doing in the next 3-4 months. I know that I need to see what I like, but any recommendations? I need at least something with 100amps and direct input. Should I get another combo or buy the head and cabinet separately?
Lastly, other than practicing and practicing and taking lessons, what can I do to get myself to become half as good as Juan Nelson(The Innocent Criminals) or John Paul Jones? I don't want to sell my soul to the devil, we all know what happened when garth Brooks tried to sell his soul on SNL...
I have to say that I am addicted to music and I just want to be phenomenal. I have the dedication, so any help would be appreciated.
I waited all day.
You waited all day..
but you left before sunset..
and I just wanted to tell you
the moment was beautiful.
Just wanted to dance to bad music
drive bad cars..
watch bad tv..
should have stayed for the sunset...
if not for me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Well first of all, how much are you willing to spend on the amp? Budget is always important in these discussions!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • EdveddmfcEdveddmfc Posts: 17
    I make good money, but I also know that musical instruments and accessories all depreciate pretty much in value.
    I was thinking about spending anywhere between 400 and 700.
    I know with amps the more you pay, the better.
    I waited all day.
    You waited all day..
    drive bad cars..
    watch bad tv..
    if not for me.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yorkville-BassMaster-XM200C-200-Watt-1X15-Bass-Combo?sku=481298

My friend has that I think it kicks ass, but I don't know a whole lot about bass amps.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • EdveddmfcEdveddmfc Posts: 17
    Cool. That actually looks pretty decent.
    What about strings? I'm looking for some new strings that will give me a meatier/fatter sound, which are also thicker.
    I waited all day.
    You waited all day..
    drive bad cars..
    watch bad tv..
    if not for me.
    Strings, I don't know, try a heavy gauge, Ernie Ball is what I use for guitar.

That amp has a 15 and a tweater, so plenty of fat sound coming out of it, with definition!
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    For strings. DEAN MARKLEYS! I used 40-60-80-100 gauges.
  • Not a bass player but Ernie Balls are my brand of choice for guitar strings.

Some things you may want to invest in in the future or to polish you sound for those gigs you mentioned:

Compression
    Fuzz (maybe)
    OD (maybe) - both fuzz and OD can sound great with a bass but you said you wanted a clean sound..

I don't know much about reccomending specific pedals, but a compressor should be very useful to you.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Not a bass player but Ernie Balls are my brand of choice for guitar strings.

Some things you may want to invest in in the future or to polish you sound for those gigs you mentioned:

Compression
    Fuzz (maybe)
    OD (maybe) - both fuzz and OD can sound great with a bass but you said you wanted a clean sound..

I don't know much about reccomending specific pedals, but a compressor should be very useful to you.
    +1 on the compressor. An EQ might be helpful too.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Edveddmfc wrote:
    Lastly, other than practicing and practicing and taking lessons, what can I do to get myself to become half as good as Juan Nelson(The Innocent Criminals) or John Paul Jones? I don't want to sell my soul to the devil, we all know what happened when garth Brooks tried to sell his soul on SNL...
    Well this is pretty much what I do to better my skills (not saying I'm that good or anything...)

Play with a metronome or drummer! You won't believe how off time you are until you do this. The first time I played with a drummer I was horribly off time and that was a few years into my bass playing. I usually play with CDs and that's okay, but you're kind of constrained to what is already recorded and don't have too much freedom.

Learn scales. Memorize them. Know them. It will aid you immensely when doing fills or soloing and just in general.

Learn different styles (funk, rock, jazz, R&B.....). It will introduce new ways for you to play your instrument. Play with a pick, with your fingers, slap, tap, pop....do anything that makes a good sound and don't limit yourself.

(This one is something I do, but you probably don't need to) Just run up and down the neck strengthening each fret finger (and if using your fingers to pick, each picking finger). The stronger your fingers are the more accurate you will be and you'll be able to maneuver around with ease.

--take notes from Mr. Ament while you're at it too ;)
  • I have been playing bass for about 5 years now and could say I am knowledgable about all of this stuff. As far as strings go, I would go with Rotosound ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rotosound-RS66LD-Bass-Strings-Long-Scale-Strings?sku=102800 ) or Fender, Although as mesntioned, Ernie Ball's are quality too. If you want to get a high quality amp, Ampeg is the way to go. Classic tone with tons of versitility. I woulc reccomend this combo ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115HP-220-Watt-1x15-Bass-Series-Combo-Amp?sku=481495 ) 220 watts should be loud enough for what your gonna need it for and their reliable as hell!
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    I am again going to back Dean Markley's. I have used Rotosound and Ernie Ball, but the Markley's are the best. Plus Mr. Ament uses them :)