Les Paul vs. Strat

threefishythreefishy Posts: 1
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm thinking about buying my first electric guitar and I'm leaning towards a Les Paul Standard. A friend of mine is a Strat believer and he says I should go with one of those. What is the difference in sound? It seems to me that a Les Paul is more raw, which I like, but I don't have a finely trained ear.

Can someone explain? Thanks.
www.dfl.org
www.demnpl.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    absolutely, totally, completely different sounds. you really have to play them both to get the idea of what you like.

pauls are darker, higher output. more sustain. heavier.
    strats are honkier, twangier, brighter, less output and sustain.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    absolutely, totally, completely different sounds. you really have to play them both to get the idea of what you like.

pauls are darker, higher output. more sustain. heavier.
    strats are honkier, twangier, brighter, less output and sustain.

Excellent. Personally I tell people to listen to a Stevie Ray Vaughn album. That is what strats are supposed to sound like I think it's a good sample of Strat tone especially the clean stuff.

Hmm. for Les Paul.....Jimmy Paige, Slash.....watch the Pearl Jam DVD in headphones and hold the balance control. Stone is on the Right/ Mike on the left. when either uses a les paul listen.

Keep in mind the strat is lighter and won't kill your back like a Les Paul will.

It's impossible to choose they are both awesome.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I'd go for the Les Paul.
    Ha ha I've a custy
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Posts: 662
    what about my Yamaha Eterna heheheeheheheheh
    now THERE is a guitar
    The most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway, is that its you, and that you're standing in the doorway.

I write down good reasons to freeze to death in my spiral ring notebook. But in the long tresses of your hair--I am a babbling brook.
  • dese r bOTh MONKEYNUST DREAm GEETArs. One day HE WILl OWN bOth
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    poor monkey.......i do have both........
  • wud U Like to gIve MONKEYNUTS One or bOtH OF DOSE BAd BOYS TO HiM BRAIn of c????
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    i own a strat and prefer it..i've played my friends LP and it's awkward with such a thick neck.
    it's weird, i play everything but the blues/jazz on my strat.
    from heavy metal all the way to punk.
    works fine for me.
    but to each his own
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • Originally posted by MONKEYNUTS
    wud U Like to gIve MONKEYNUTS One or bOtH OF DOSE BAd BOYS TO HiM BRAIn of c????

hahaha, na dont listen brain of c, I'll take 'em of ur hands.

Do u have either monkeynuts? I have a mate with a Les Paul Studio, I frickin love it, love the balls of the thing. SOUNDS like it would suit u nuts.....

Sorry, that was bad
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
  • If you want a raw, chunky sound, you need a Les Paul... Or an SG. Either will work better than a Strat, which will sound very clean and thin, more refined.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • MONKEYNUTS OnLy HAS A crapPY SQuire fender straT. HES PLAyed variOUS FREINDS geetars doH AND FROM DEM HE HAS MANaged to get His paws oN A PROPER FENDER STRAt and a les paul which wir boff grate. hes alsO plaYED A TELE WHICH WAS OK AND TODAy he plaEYD DE SATrIANi ibanez whICH WAS DIFFERENt BuT STILl very nIce