fucking tone

ExodusExodus Posts: 212
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
my guitar tone is a piece of steaming crap.
i've given up on trying to make it sound even decent.
THE END
-Ex
Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yea i know that feeling. even though for the most part my stuff sounds fairly good, there have been those days where for whatever reason everything has gone to hell.

what's your set up?
  • Go back to basics... simple guitar, single-channel tube amp, and a good overdrive.

Build up from there.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Go back to basics... simple guitar, single-channel tube amp, and a good overdrive.

Build up from there.

Can not agree more. I think a lot of people get caught up in the big set up! I think it just makes everything more frustrating. Plug direct into the amp, and let your fingers do the work!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Hey Nick,

Did you go to windsor and try the F-30 out yet? Just for fun?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    hells no
    when do i ever go to windsor?

my set up isnt fancy.
    amp, fx pedal, guitar

it still all sounds like shit though.
    maybe i should stop buying fender amps.

Falls the shadow.
  • Exodus wrote:
    hells no
    when do i ever go to windsor?

my set up isnt fancy.
    amp, fx pedal, guitar

it still all sounds like shit though.
    maybe i should stop buying fender amps.

What kinda FX pedal?

What kinda amp?

Build up from there.

That's where I am at (finally), and it's a sweet state to be in for sure.

Fender USA Standard Telecaster -> Shannon OD -> Fender Champ

doesn't get more basic than that. But it's oooh so effective (for what I do anyway).
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Change your strings nick.

Take the guitar in for a crown and polish.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    oh, how i have...

korg fx pedal is it? i dont ecven know and im too lazy to check.
    then fender champ 30 i belive.
    95 mexican strat.

Falls the shadow.
  • Exodus wrote:
    oh, how i have...

korg fx pedal is it? i dont ecven know and im too lazy to check.
    then fender champ 30 i belive.
    95 mexican strat.

You need to ditch the multi-FX and that amp if you want good tone.

I've only heard one good multi-FX pedal. The Line 6 PodXT Live:
    http://line6.com/podxtlive/

$400 buys you some good tools, but you have to know how to use it:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/117780

You can't model amps with that thing unless you go into a completely transparent amp. Amp modelling is only good for going direct.

The other option is to start getting individual pedals. What you have now is a single pedal that tries to do everything in a single small box. That's like asking your car to be a sports car, gas-saver, minivan, pickup, and SUV in one. Look at a few individual stompboxes, you'll get much better results.

I know there are some who would disagree with me, but I believe that Fender has never made a solid-state amp worth owning. There are a few good solid-state amps out there... the Roland Jazz Chorus, Peavey Nashville... I like the Peavey Bandit II. But if you want *TONE*... little glowing tubes are the way to go. Fender has many good amps. All of them have tubes. Fender has many shitty amps. None of them have tubes.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    You need to ditch the multi-FX and that amp if you want good tone.

I've only heard one good multi-FX pedal. The Line 6 PodXT Live:
    http://line6.com/podxtlive/

$400 buys you some good tools, but you have to know how to use it:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/117780

You can't model amps with that thing unless you go into a completely transparent amp. Amp modelling is only good for going direct.

The other option is to start getting individual pedals. What you have now is a single pedal that tries to do everything in a single small box. That's like asking your car to be a sports car, gas-saver, minivan, pickup, and SUV in one. Look at a few individual stompboxes, you'll get much better results.

I know there are some who would disagree with me, but I believe that Fender has never made a solid-state amp worth owning. There are a few good solid-state amps out there... the Roland Jazz Chorus, Peavey Nashville... I like the Peavey Bandit II. But if you want *TONE*... little glowing tubes are the way to go. Fender has many good amps. All of them have tubes. Fender has many shitty amps. None of them have tubes.

i can kinda agree with the whole solid state thing but i personally think the clean tone on my fender deluxe 85 combo is adorable and easily pisses over my marshall. I think that for some reason i prefer solid state clean tones to valve clean tones i dunno why i just do. Then again rumour has it that radiohead recorded a large portion of pablo honey with the same amp so it cant be all that bad hahaha but yeah transistor based distortion channels hmmm umm errrr wouldnt touch em after going all valve haha...... but thats just me and im sure someone will disagree with me somewhere along the line. someone always does hahaha its all personal taste at the end of the day.
    oh and btw im a very long time lurker haha i used to hang around on the old synergy pit a long long time ago and these days i just lurk around on this forum reading all your highly intriguing muso type threads :) im the guy that works for Allen Heath in the uk if anyone remembers me? no oh well hahaha
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • kigcat wrote:
    i can kinda agree with the whole solid state thing but i personally think the clean tone on my fender deluxe 85 combo is adorable and easily pisses over my marshall. I think that for some reason i prefer solid state clean tones to valve clean tones i dunno why i just do. Then again rumour has it that radiohead recorded a large portion of pablo honey with the same amp so it cant be all that bad hahaha but yeah transistor based distortion channels hmmm umm errrr wouldnt touch em after going all valve haha...... but thats just me and im sure someone will disagree with me somewhere along the line. someone always does hahaha its all personal taste at the end of the day.

One thing about solid-state amps is that they have a VERY clean signal. So, if you want a VERY clean, bright sound... solid-state is a good option. Me, I prefer warmer tones... something that will be mellow, but still clean. Think Deluxe Reverb, with a touch of trem and a touch of verb. But in overdrive/distortion world... tubes have the benefit of better dynamics, better compression values, better harmonics... maybe solid-state fits a certain flavor, but few people think solid-state when they think great tone.

kigcat wrote:
    oh and btw im a very long time lurker haha i used to hang around on the old synergy pit a long long time ago and these days i just lurk around on this forum reading all your highly intriguing muso type threads :) im the guy that works for Allen Heath in the uk if anyone remembers me? no oh well hahaha.

Oh, I remember you... I'm the guy who regularly mixes on a GL-4+ and has used a MixWizard or two in my day. What is your job, exactly? What do you do for A&H?
  • When you put it in perspective, fender SS cleans are good for what they are. of course they dont hold the candle to tubes. But my Deluxe 112+ seems to be decent enough for clean. never touch the distortion if my life depended on it though, my Mesa Bottle Rocket covers that job, and qutie well i believe.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    Oh, I remember you... I'm the guy who regularly mixes on a GL-4+ and has used a MixWizard or two in my day. What is your job, exactly? What do you do for A&H?[/quote]

i dont know its wise for me to tell you but i actually primarily test and repair and give customer support on the GL4 range haha and the other desks in the GL range. ie gl3300 and gl2200 (Piles of shit if you ask me the gl 2200) the mix wizards have recently overgone a overhaul and update and the ledbars have been changed, the pcbs have gone all surface mount and the physical look of the desks have changed slightly. The gl4 and the gl3 will be undergoing changes in the next few months and the gl 2 has a major facelift as of next month i believe but i didnt tell you any of this ;) hahaha
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • kigcat wrote:
    i dont know its wise for me to tell you but i actually primarily test and repair and give customer support on the GL4 range haha and the other desks in the GL range. ie gl3300 and gl2200 (Piles of shit if you ask me the gl 2200) the mix wizards have recently overgone a overhaul and update and the ledbars have been changed, the pcbs have gone all surface mount and the physical look of the desks have changed slightly. The gl4 and the gl3 will be undergoing changes in the next few months and the gl 2 has a major facelift as of next month i believe but i didnt tell you any of this ;) hahaha

Yeah, and this isn't a public message board, viewable by 80% of the Western world...

Cool beans.
    Inside A&H info sweet. I remember you.

I think Pearlwax had a fender deluxe 85 too for a while.

I own a fender ultimate chorus but yeah as a general rule, avoid fender solid state like the plague I agree mig. The deluxe 85 is cool though. I wish someone would buy my UC as I need a PA or at least a small mixing board an amp and some speakers.

Kigcat if you like your clean like that I'll bet you'd love the silverface (post CBS buyout) all tube fenders form the late 60's and 70's. Especially twins.
    Jazz guys love them.

Mig our new fender amp is the 57 tweed twin. If you haven't played one yet don't because you'll open up a new credit line just to own one.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Mig our new fender amp is the 57 tweed twin. If you haven't played one yet don't because you'll open up a new credit line just to own one.

I *almost* agree with you...

But I'd still rather have a Victoria Victorilux (if the Fender tweed sound is what you want).

I think our friend's problem here is more directly related to the multi-FX unit than the amp... the amp probably sounds less than great, but the FX pedal is going to suck everything it might have, and leave him with that angry-mosquito multi-FX tone.
    I *almost* agree with you...

But I'd still rather have a Victoria Victorilux (if the Fender tweed sound is what you want).

I think our friend's problem here is more directly related to the multi-FX unit than the amp... the amp probably sounds less than great, but the FX pedal is going to suck everything it might have, and leave him with that angry-mosquito multi-FX tone.

no kidding. I'd say mainly its a combination of plugging the multi fx into the front of the amp.

I had a bad experience with a pod 2.0 one time too and that is a brilliant multi effect preamp. If you're going to use a preamp like that it needs a strait power amp and a clean speaker.

I agree anything that the amp brings is shot to hell by having the efx fight with it.

The first thing I would do is get the guitar professionally set up and change the strings, Go strait into the amp, and when you get board with the sound, upgrade the amp first, then work on effects. If the multi fx has a headphone jack, plug in a head phone and rock away, it will sound better.

Hang on a second, I think I just read Nick had a Champion 30 (DYNA-TOUCH)

dear lord, it's a wonder it's still working, that may be singularly Nick, the worst amplifier ever created in history. That's your problem, sell it on Ebay, and start fresh. Trust me on this. That amp is bad news. Efx or no efx.
    {I can't remember if it's the victorilux or not but I like the one with 3 10's

still you should play a tweed twin if you get a shot. 5E8 circuit with weber 12's. it's as close to heaven as you get in a fender. 2 rectifiers. you can adjust the compression.

But yeah if I was buying I'd probably go with Victoria too just because I like supporting the little guy in his own workshop.}
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    no kidding. I'd say mainly its a combination of plugging the multi fx into the front of the amp.

I had a bad experience with a pod 2.0 one time too and that is a brilliant multi effect preamp. If you're going to use a preamp like that it needs a strait power amp and a clean speaker.

I agree anything that the amp brings is shot to hell by having the efx fight with it.

The first thing I would do is get the guitar professionally set up and change the strings, Go strait into the amp, and when you get board with the sound, upgrade the amp first, then work on effects. If the multi fx has a headphone jack, plug in a head phone and rock away, it will sound better.

One universal truth about the Pod craze: amp models don't work well with guitar amps. They're meant to emulate an amp into a PA or recorder. You can use a Pod as an FX unit, if you DON'T use the amp models, or you use something as close to a PA as possible for your amp (like a powered PA speaker, etc).

Pacomc79 wrote:
    I can't remember if it's the victorilux or not but I like the one with 3 10's

still you should play a tweed twin if you get a shot. 5E8 circuit with weber 12's. it's as close to heaven as you get in a fender. 2 rectifiers. you can adjust the compression.

But yeah if I was buying I'd probably go with Victoria too just because I like supporting the little guy in his own workshop.

I like the idea of the Twin, don't get me wrong...

I just like either tube tremolo or tube reverb (preferably both) on an amp like that.

(and then you had to go and edit your post...)
    I like the idea of the Twin, don't get me wrong...

I just like either tube tremolo or tube reverb (preferably both) on an amp like that.

(and then you had to go and edit your post...)[/quote]

yeah, sorry, I love tube tremolo too. But damn that thing sounds good.

They finally spared no expense and built it like the engineers wanted.

I think Nick's problem centers around the dreaded Dyna-Touch

an amp created by accountants for accountants.

one solution would be to ditch the whole rig, efx and amp on ebay and pickup a line 6 flextone III. Then if you record you can just run the XLR's from the back to the board and use the A.I.R. for mic simulation. I prefer tubes but this is a great way to go.

If you can't afford the Flextone III check out the Flextone, Flextone II and Flextone XL on Ebay. all excellent ways to get you out of the tone doldrums.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I think Nick's problem centers around the dreaded Dyna-Touch

an amp created by accountants for accountants.

Certainly wasn't created by Leo Fender.

This kinda thread makes me remember my youthful indiscretions with bad solid-state Fender amps and FX pedals...

Hey, I recently picked up a Vox wah... finally! Sold my Dunlop last summer, so I've been jonesing... and a new pedalboard on the way to hold it all... next is a tremolo. Whattya think, Cesar Diaz Tremodillo, or Line 6 ToneCore Tap Tremolo?
    Certainly wasn't created by Leo Fender.

This kinda thread makes me remember my youthful indiscretions with bad solid-state Fender amps and FX pedals...

Hey, I recently picked up a Vox wah... finally! Sold my Dunlop last summer, so I've been jonesing... and a new pedalboard on the way to hold it all... next is a tremolo. Whattya think, Cesar Diaz Tremodillo, or Line 6 ToneCore Tap Tremolo?

well, while I think the tone cores are ugly as crap, genious Jorge Tripps is behind it and we know he delivers, you're stepping on it I guess too so what does it matter right?

The tremodillo is cool, but as Cesar has passed who know's about the quality, all we can do is hope right? I think analog mike has them for sale.

I'd check out the Swamp Thing as well. Maybe even voodoo labs.

there is also a little unit by Area 51 called the BMT, a tube job but I think it's for a built in install.

I've always been fond of the EH wiggler.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    well, while I think the tone cores are ugly as crap, genious Jorge Tripps is behind it and we know he delivers, you're stepping on it I guess too so what does it matter right?

The tremodillo is cool, but as Cesar has passed who know's about the quality, all we can do is hope right? I think analog mike has them for sale.

I'd check out the Swamp Thing as well. Maybe even voodoo labs.

there is also a little unit by Area 51 called the BMT, a tube job but I think it's for a built in install.

I've always been fond of the EH wiggler.

Well, real estate on my pedal board (even my new big one) will be at a premium... so I want something that's fairly compact in size. I think I could get the tone I want from the Tremodillo, although as you say, it's a Diaz in name only.

I'm really impressed by the sound samples of the ToneCore... sure, it's the ugliest line of pedals I've ever seen... but the sound is there. I'll bet they're really good about compensating for signal loss, too (as opposed to the ever-popular Boss).

The Voodoo Lab would be another to add to the list, though...

I think the Line 6 offers me the kind of options I want. I'd like to double-check the construction first, though...

The nice thing is that my Pedal Power 2 has a cable for a Line 6 pedal. Although I'll have to get a daisy chain for my other pedals, I'm out of power slots already.
    Well, real estate on my pedal board (even my new big one) will be at a premium... so I want something that's fairly compact in size. I think I could get the tone I want from the Tremodillo, although as you say, it's a Diaz in name only.

I'm really impressed by the sound samples of the ToneCore... sure, it's the ugliest line of pedals I've ever seen... but the sound is there. I'll bet they're really good about compensating for signal loss, too (as opposed to the ever-popular Boss).

The Voodoo Lab would be another to add to the list, though...

I think the Line 6 offers me the kind of options I want. I'd like to double-check the construction first, though...

The nice thing is that my Pedal Power 2 has a cable for a Line 6 pedal. Although I'll have to get a daisy chain for my other pedals, I'm out of power slots already.

yeah the one spot and the boss daisy chains should work, they are about 10 bucks each.

the tremodillo is probably perfect for space and aesthetics. I haven't seen the innards of the TC or heard them yet but reviews are good and I trust the guy behind way huge, (did you catch the custom built DM-4 pro they built for the Edge?) The tone core wouldn't take up too much space either.

Voodoo labs is slightly bigger but you know it's good and they can be had fairly cheaply.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah the one spot and the boss daisy chains should work, they are about 10 bucks each.

the tremodillo is probably perfect for space and aesthetics. I haven't seen the innards of the TC or heard them yet but reviews are good and I trust the guy behind way huge, (did you catch the custom built DM-4 pro they built for the Edge?) The tone core wouldn't take up too much space either.

Voodoo labs is slightly bigger but you know it's good and they can be had fairly cheaply.

I'd like to find a daisy that only has two or three outs... I don't need 8, and I'd rather not deal with them grounding out on something. I'll figure something out, I'm sure. Maybe I can get one of the Boss chains and "modify" it.

There's a dealer here who has some of the TC pedals... not the tremolo, but I might check the pedal out just to see how I think it'll last. I'm not tough on gear, but still.

That custom DM-4 was pretty hot... I wouldn't mind a stock DM-4, as far as that goes. But my Keeley's are behaving themselves, so far...

The big thing for me is that the Tremodillo looks better and has a "cool" factor. The Line 6 has more tonal options, and I can probably trust their product support a little more. And it's $100 cheaper.
    I'd like to find a daisy that only has two or three outs... I don't need 8, and I'd rather not deal with them grounding out on something. I'll figure something out, I'm sure. Maybe I can get one of the Boss chains and "modify" it.

There's a dealer here who has some of the TC pedals... not the tremolo, but I might check the pedal out just to see how I think it'll last. I'm not tough on gear, but still.

That custom DM-4 was pretty hot... I wouldn't mind a stock DM-4, as far as that goes. But my Keeley's are behaving themselves, so far...

The big thing for me is that the Tremodillo looks better and has a "cool" factor. The Line 6 has more tonal options, and I can probably trust their product support a little more. And it's $100 cheaper.

if you'd like to talk to a customer service rep press 1 *beep*

if you'd like technical support press 2 *beep*

to go back to the beginning press 3 *beep*

frustrated, Mig hung up the phone :D

the tremodillo has a gigantic coolness factor and stone uses them so.... but 100 bucks is 100 bucks.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

to go back to the beginning press 3 *beep*

frustrated, Mig hung up the phone :D

the tremodillo has a gigantic coolness factor and stone uses them so.... but 100 bucks is 100 bucks.

Eh, I'm more of an e-mailer...

Stone uses a Tremodillo? Huh.

The $100=$100 factor is weighing heavily... especially since I want to order a new Tele soon.
    i would gladly get a new amp and pedal, in fact i was looking into it earlier this year but the fact is i really can't afford it right now and probly not for the next year or 2 simply because i'm heading into college/university and need to save every penny i can.
    right now i'm just doing what i can. i trying to get a good tone and i'm kinda close, it's just everything sounds so proccessed and gross.
    it makes me want to impale the guitar on a giant metal spike.
    man, that amp is lucky i don't have a giant metal spike.

Falls the shadow.