new amp

LarryGossardLarryGossard Posts: 9
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, question for you all. I just upgraded from my first guitar, a Squire strat, to a pretty sweet Gibson Les Paul Standard. I want to get a new amp to go with it and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. My guitar teacher thought a Marshall would be good. Any thoughts?
Montréal 8/20/98
Saratoga 8/27/00
Buffalo 5/2/03
Hershey 7/12/03
Reading 10/1/04
Ottawa 9/16/05
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    First of all Nice job on the Les Paul...:D

Second...you cant go wrong with a Les Paul, and a Marshall amp...If I had the money...that would be my set up....although Marshalls sound nice with strats too....

But Id try it out first...make sure you like the sound....

More importantly...take your guitar in and play it on the amps your looking at...make sure you like it all together.....:)

But if it were up to me...get the Marshall...theyre great!!!!
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • Awesome, thanks. Any specific model you'd recommend?
    Montréal 8/20/98
    Saratoga 8/27/00
    Buffalo 5/2/03
    Hershey 7/12/03
    Reading 10/1/04
    Ottawa 9/16/05
  • onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    Originally posted by LarryGossard
    Awesome, thanks. Any specific model you'd recommend?

It depends on what your going for, just for fun, practice, live shows...etc.

Search this site...youll probably find something you like.:)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • Thanks a lot, man. I'm going out tomorrow to try some of these amps out. Peace
    Montréal 8/20/98
    Saratoga 8/27/00
    Buffalo 5/2/03
    Hershey 7/12/03
    Reading 10/1/04
    Ottawa 9/16/05
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    hey Larry, give us a style that you are interested in and we can comment.

If you just want a basic balls to the wall rock amp a marshall DSL 50 head and 4x12 cab will suit you perfect. If you are looking for specific tones we can do that too. Give us a price range and we'll find it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Yeah, I'm looking for something to play rock and blues with. I'm not in a band, but am interested in getting into something not too serious. That is, if I can find anyone to play with. Sucks when you're new to the area and don't know anyone. Anyway, I guess I'd like to find something decent up to about $500, but that's negotiable.

So far, just looking on musiciansfriend.com I kinda like the Marshall MG100DFX Combo and the Marshall AVT50 combo. I'd have to give them a try first, but any thoughts on these 2?
    Montréal 8/20/98
    Saratoga 8/27/00
    Buffalo 5/2/03
    Hershey 7/12/03
    Reading 10/1/04
    Ottawa 9/16/05
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by LarryGossard
    Yeah, I'm looking for something to play rock and blues with. I'm not in a band, but am interested in getting into something not too serious. That is, if I can find anyone to play with. Sucks when you're new to the area and don't know anyone. Anyway, I guess I'd like to find something decent up to about $500, but that's negotiable.

So far, just looking on musiciansfriend.com I kinda like the Marshall MG100DFX Combo and the Marshall AVT50 combo. I'd have to give them a try first, but any thoughts on these 2?

The MG has the digital effects if that's your bag and probably a slightly edgier sound and is completely solid state. Some people prefer this amp actually because it does have a very nice sound especially for the money. However it's made in Korea so there are those quality issues that occasionally crop up. If you go with this head, go with a used Marshall 1960 4x12 (you can find them pretty cheap they are all over) or an AVT or Valvestate 4x12. The MG cab isn't that great, but the amp is a steal for the money.

The AVT is made in Britain, is well built and has a hybrid setup (tube preamp, solid state power amp) The AVT 50 is essentially a hybrid variety of the amps Marshall has been famous for over the last 25 years, namely the Dual and Triple Super Leads aka: JCM 800, 900, 2000. So if you're looking for simplicity and balls to the wall marshall, this should suit you for a while.

I like the fact that marshall clean channels have a gain nob and a master volume so you can get that nice near crunch which is great for blues.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.