Prs

present_tensepresent_tense Posts: 121
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey

Im currently playing a gibson epiphone les paul. Some time in the future, id like to pick up a guitar, obviously a lot nicer then the one i have. At the moment im thinking i may go with a Gibson SG, but i hear that Paul Reed SMith guitars are nice, can anyone give me the lowdown on those guitars?
the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    never played one (being lefty and all) but they are great instruments. very expensive of course. they expanded their line recently to bring in some cheaper offshore made models.

given the choice between the two, i'd take an SG but that's just my preference. you'd have to really paly them both to get a good feeling for what you'd like better.

if you go prs, get one of the USA made ones with set necks. stay away from the offshore and bolt-on neck models.
  • thanks!! thats something for me to keep in mind
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Paul Reed Smith is a custom shop builder that has been making guitars for a lot of years now. He got his start building at home and trying to pedal them backstage to famous artist. Carlos Santana played one and loved it, to this day he still plays them.

Later on before he died Ted McCarty (president of Gibson during most of the meaningful years) came on as a consultant to PRS.

Ted oversaw the invention of the humbucker (seth lover) and worked with Les Paul on his most famous models the SG and the Les Paul as well as a few other very famous guitars.

PRS has their own seies named for Ted called the (McCarty) It is essentially a Les Paul built for comfort and playability.

Santana has his own signature model as well.

My personal favorites are obviously the McCarty's and the Custom 24-22's

By far however I believe the best guitar they make are the Hollowbody's. Especially the Hollowbody 2 and Hollowbody Spruce. They are wonderful works of art the top and back of the Hollowbody 2 are both carved melded toegther by mahogany sides and a solid mahogany violin block that ties them toegther.

PRS's are known for their exceptional quality and playability Comfort, tone,fit and finish(I think they lead the industry in innovative finishes) and amazing wood. (10 tops) If you are looking at a gibson you owe it to yourself to try out a McCarty model and definately look into the McCarty Soapbar model but all are awesome, I suggest you play all you can. I fell in love with a cherry red model with a highly figured 10 top and a solid brazilian rosewood neck. I used to play it every day when I went into the store. Anyway, good luck in your search. I can't wait to play an SE soapbar. PRS's are a lot of dedicated players dream guitars.

http://www.prsguitars.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    PRS's are wonderful, beautifully made guitars. Yet for me, having nothing to do with the sound, they just seem like the typical guitar a young rich "rock star" gets (See POD, linkin park, etc.) So thats why i keep it pretty vintage, but thats just me.
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • I think the McCarty prs is one of the great guitars ever made, and is a great Les Paul and an SG. They are pricey, though. But it is cheaper than a comparable quality Les Paul. It's a great sounding and playing guitar.

I don't worry about having a guitar that other "rockstars" use. There is a reason that they use them. They're built better than Les Pauls and Strats. If PRS's were around long ago, I bet Page and all those other guys would have used them too!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I think the McCarty prs is one of the great guitars ever made, and is a great Les Paul and an SG. They are pricey, though. But it is cheaper than a comparable quality Les Paul. It's a great sounding and playing guitar.

I don't worry about having a guitar that other "rockstars" use. There is a reason that they use them. They're built better than Les Pauls and Strats. If PRS's were around long ago, I bet Page and all those other guys would have used them too!

My Beef with PRS and Gibson. Stupid Vintage Tuning Machines that don't stay in tune. Obviously they realize that most people that play these things change them out for good Grovers because Gibson's new Epiphone Elite line all has grovers all for about half the cost of a shiny new USA built Gibson. Funny isn't it. Damn historical accuracy, give me quality locking tuners por favor. Especially for $3,000 clams.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.