wierd question

present_tensepresent_tense Posts: 121
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bought myself a mexican telecaster, and was curious, has anyone ever seen someone pop in some beefy pickups in these guitars? I know that kinda defeats the purpose of the guitar, but i love the feel of it, i just cant get used to the shitty sustain, compared to my les paul.
the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    sustain is a product of a good setup. Sure, you can get sustain from super hot pickups, but maybe if you have the guitar set up, you won't need to spend the money on the pickups :)

Those Mexi tele's are nice. I'd have a tech make sure that your nut is cut right, and that the action is set up properly. If those things are already happening, then I'd consider a tuner upgrade. Pickups are a slippery slope. Once you start tweaking them, you will seldom if ever be able to stop :)
  • Yeah, teles by nature of their construction (maple neck and string-thru bridge) should have much better sustain - acoustically, at least - than any LP you'll ever play. Of course, after a set-up, putting a good set of Kinmans or Fralins is perhaps the best thing you can do for a mex tele. That said, if you want REALLY long sustain, take a lesson from Stone and Mike: get a tubescreamer. Even crappy pickups and a TS sound better than those hotrails or lil '59er things.
  • man i rekon thats a pretty kick ass idea, u should so do that haha :D
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...