Thornley!?!?!?!

present_tensepresent_tense Posts: 121
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I saw these guys on monday. Wow what a great live show. Ian thornley is such a cool front man, and such an underated guitarist. Anywho, I was just curious if anyone here knows what kind of amp set up he uses? he had such a cool sound, the best guitar sound ive ever heard live.
the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    If you check out his message board on the "gear" section I'm sure you'd be able to find out.....

I just don't wanna sign up for it :o

http://thornleyfans.proboards29.com/index.cgi
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I think Ian runs a lot of different guitar ranging from strats, to les pauls, to PRS and even Music man.

For amps, it sounds like Dual Recs, but I bet you he uses some boutique like Diezel, Fuchs or ENGL.

Thornley rocks. I've got to catch them the next time they're in town.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Wrong again.

GP:What's going on in "The Pleasure and the Greed"?

IT:The intro is distorted bass. For my guitar sound, I plugged into a Garnet Herzog pre-amp-which I think is what Randy Bachman used for the lead on "American Woman." I ran that into an Ampeg SVT. My friend Gordie from Big Sugar turned me on to that setup, because that's his sound: Herzog preamp, SVT, and a Marshall cab. It's the loudest thing I've ever heard. I also used a Bernie amp, which is made out of an old film projector-it has a real wonky tone. I blended the Bernie with a tweed Deluxe and cranked them.

GP:How much gear will you take on the road to reproduce all these guitar sounds?

IT:To accomodate all the various tunings I'll bring about 15 guitars, including three Les Pauls, a few semi-hollowbodies, a Gibson 6/12 doubleneck, a Hammertone doubleneck with a 6-string and a mando-guitar, and a bunch of other instruments. For amps, I'll bring a Matchless Super Chief 120 and two JCM 2000a-a 50-and a 100-watt-and I'll run four 4X12 cabs.

GP:What about effects?

IT:I use a Digital Music Corp. GCX unit to control my rack, which contains an old Boss compressor, a TS-9 Tube Screamer, a Prescription Electronics Experience pedal, an Electro-Harmonix Micro-Synth, the Garnet Herzog, a Boss DD-5 for backwards delay, a Lexicon reverb, an Alesis Quadraverb, and a DigiTech Whammy pedal.

This is the Big Wreck days, but his live tone is known to be phenomenal. Marshall and Matchless it is.
  • hey, thanks for the reply!! Ive definately never heard a guitar sound so good live. It saddens me to say this, but it makes pearl jams guitars sound like two monkeys having sex in a spinning washing machine.
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    hey, thanks for the reply!! Ive definately never heard a guitar sound so good live. It saddens me to say this, but it makes pearl jams guitars sound like two monkeys having sex in a spinning washing machine.

That was colorful.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    i liked big wreck , havent got the thornly cd though. been meaning to just never did
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER