Options

Recommendations on buying a new amp

driftin84driftin84 Posts: 1
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi,
currently looking to buy a new amp but aint a clue what to look for, would be great if somebody could give a little advise.

Iv been playing 4 years and still got the original squire amo from the "begginers" set i bought. Its done its job now i require something a bit beefier!!

Im not in a band so its only gonna be used for home practise, obviously i play alot of pearl jam, a little metallica but also want something that would sound good playing slower stuff EG man of the hour.

Any advise would be appriciated!!

Oh.... the guitar is a epiphone les paul.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    I got a fender pro junior one month 2 months ago and I have really loved it.It's a quite cheap amp but it's got great tone.Check out the http://www.harmony-central.com reviews.You can find it at about 350$ I think.It depends on how much money you wanna spend...If you can spend at about 1000$ you can check the orange 15W amp...These two are all-tube amps.Rest of the guys will help you better...
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Well, the Pro Junior is a great amp for bedroom jamming... the Blues Junior is also great. A bit bigger, and some reverb. My other recommendations are:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Peavey Classic 30

Either of those would be great amps for the bedroom, and they're big enough to gig with.

My final recommendation is to look around for some older tube practice amps, like Fender Champ and Vibro Champ amps, or some of the older Silvertone and Danelectro amps.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    all those are great. To be honest I dig the Pro Juinor. A lot better than the Blues Jr. because the circuit is cleaner, but Reverb is nice to have as is gain.

I played a Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 last weekend and it sounded awesome. At just over 400 bucks it's probably the best deal I have found lately.

If I were buying right now that's what I'd buy
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    all those are great. To be honest I dig the Pro Juinor. A lot better than the Blues Jr. because the circuit is cleaner, but Reverb is nice to have as is gain.

I played a Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 last weekend and it sounded awesome. At just over 400 bucks it's probably the best deal I have found lately.

If I were buying right now that's what I'd buy

Even with the Blue Marvel 10's? I kinda wondered about those...
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Even with the Blue Marvel 10's? I kinda wondered about those...

yeah, it sounds great. Imagine what better tubes and lower wattage jensens or celestions would do.

very nice tremelo

even the overdrive channel is nice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yeah, it sounds great. Imagine what better tubes and lower wattage jensens or celestions would do.

very nice tremelo

even the overdrive channel is nice.

Jensens or Webers for me...

Hell, Weber ceramics would kick ass in that amp.

Finish off with a set of Mesa tubes? Huh?
  • Options
    Yeah I second the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Good price, great clean sound, and this thing is freakin loud. At our practices I haven't had to turn it up past 3 yet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Jensens or Webers for me...

Hell, Weber ceramics would kick ass in that amp.

Finish off with a set of Mesa tubes? Huh?

Sure, It comes with sovteks I checked. It had an EH in the tremolo section.

I'd like to have all gold pin EH's but my EI's are doing me nicely in the Orange. I have grown fond of the vintage 30.

I think you would dig ceramic celestions in that amp very nice od for that style of amp very tweedlike, uber wet reverb
  • Options
    It's just hard to get a good Celestion 10" these days... the Webers are pretty good ceramics, too. Tone Tubbies would be another good option... very meaty.

The Vintage 30 is a great speaker, although I still prefer Black Shadows (mesa) or Greenbacks.
  • Options
    yeah I'm familar with Ted Weber. I have a shiny blue sticker I have yet to adorn my windows with. my Orange needs a cabinet to rest on. Perhaps I can build a 16 or 8 ohm extention cab of 4x10's and use the orange as a head.
  • Options
    yeah I'm familar with Ted Weber. I have a shiny blue sticker I have yet to adorn my windows with. my Orange needs a cabinet to rest on. Perhaps I can build a 16 or 8 ohm extention cab of 4x10's and use the orange as a head.

Ah... FUCK YEAH!

I've got Weber stickers all over my stuff, man...