bolt on necks question

He_Who_ForgetsHe_Who_Forgets Posts: 200
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
is it bad to take the neck off a guitar, i.e. telecaster? somebody told me that it could cause problems, but i was under the impression that it was no big deal.
me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    as long as you loosen the truss rod its fine i believe
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, the neck won't snap in half or anything as a result. Or shouldn't, unless it's a POS.

The only concern is putting the neck BACK on the guitar, which could require some fine-tuning. Getting the neck to sit in the pocket correctly, re-installing the neck bolts, and getting the truss rod adjusted after it's together and strung back up will be the only real worries.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • If it's a good fitting neck it shouldn't be a problem. I've shipped guitars like that before, too. It's a smaller package and less likely to break.
    That may be the way to travel with strats and teles and the like soon. You can carry them on that way.

Hmmmm, not a bad idea!

When you put it back on, you slowly tighten the screws until it's tight, string it up then loosen the neck plate screws slightly to tweak it back to where it was. Theoretically nothing should change, unless you had shims in there and they fall out.
    If you're looking at a vintage instrument, you almost have to take the neck off to see the neck pocket.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

The only concern is putting the neck BACK on the guitar, which could require some fine-tuning. Getting the neck to sit in the pocket correctly, re-installing the neck bolts, and getting the truss rod adjusted after it's together and strung back up will be the only real worries.

+1

ten characters
  • A lot of the older , and some newer Strat and Tele necks have the truss rod adjusting screw on the body end of the neck, so you have to take the neck off anyway to adjust the truss rod. Really if you take it off, it SHOULD go back on fine.

BTW,, its a pain tweaking those necks!
    Loosen strings, Unscrew,,,,, adjust,,,,,,neck back on,,,,,,,,tune up to pitch,,,,,,, DOH, tightened rod too much,,,,,,,, loosen strings,,,,,,,,neck off,,,,,,,,,,loosen rod,,,,,,,,neck on,,,,, tune to pitch,,,,, break string,,, :mad:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart