flatwound strings...

He_Who_ForgetsHe_Who_Forgets Posts: 200
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
can someone tell me about 'em? particularly for an acoustic. i don't have any experience with them.

thanks.
me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Round wound strings are wound with round wire, so you get a bumpy finish. Flat wound strings are wound with flat wire, so the edges sit flush and are smoother to play. They don't push quite as much air as round wound, so are not quite as toney, but much nicer to play.
    Thomastik Plectrum strings use flatwound for G, D, and A strings, but go back to round on the E for a bit of extra brightness to teh tone, to stop teh bottom getting muddy.
    I love those strings, they are by far teh best acoustic strings IMHO, pretty much all I used since 1980. I have Elixirs on at the moment, cos I don't play acoustic much, but tehy have no tone compared to teh Thomastiks.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Roundwound strings are brighter, flatwound strings are a a little dead-sounding by comparison, though a bit warmer.

Flatwound strings don't have the ridges that roundwound strings do, so they don't exhibit the "squeak" that you get from sliding your fingers on roundwounds.

Flatwound strings are heavily favored by jazz players... other than that, your best option is to just try a set out. Give it a month, and if you don't take to them, switch back.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.