help me identify my telecaster!!

i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
i have a 1995 japanese telecaster with three single coil pickups (no lipstick). i know it's not a telecaster delux because it has a telecaster neck. it has the telecaster body but the contours of a stratocaster. it's all stock. i don't have the serial number on me right now..i was just hoping that someone could tell me model name or anything really. i have never seen another one of these. i'm trying to get a value estimate (not that i'm selling it. just curious.).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    hobbes wrote:
    i have a 1995 japanese telecaster with three single coil pickups (no lipstick). i know it's not a telecaster delux because it has a telecaster neck. it has the telecaster body but the contours of a stratocaster. it's all stock. i don't have the serial number on me right now..i was just hoping that someone could tell me model name or anything really. i have never seen another one of these. i'm trying to get a value estimate (not that i'm selling it. just curious.).

Sounds like a Nashville Tele. Only Tele I've ever seen with 3 pickups.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    i know it's not a nashville. that has the tele lipstick pickup in it. mine doesn't.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Can you post a pic?
    i'll do that once i get home from work.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Yeah - I'd be curious to see a PIC.
    I have a tele with 3-pickups (AND IT's NOT NASHVILLE).
    They list is as a click: Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (old)
    They're all noiseless pickups with an on/off switch for the middle (Strat) pickup.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Yeah - I'd be curious to see a PIC.
    I have a tele with 3-pickups (AND IT's NOT NASHVILLE).
    They list is as a click: Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (old)
    They're all noiseless pickups with an on/off switch for the middle (Strat) pickup.

- Ian

I've never seen that before. 3 pickups on a tele? new to me. very nice though. sometimes I hate the gap between the two pickups on a *regular* tele
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    stylo17 wrote:
    I've never seen that before. 3 pickups on a tele? new to me. very nice though. sometimes I hate the gap between the two pickups on a *regular* tele
    Yeah, I thought so too - The guitar came Standard like that - It's very versatile with that Strat middle pickup.
    I guess it was a special model with the mini on/off bridge pickup switch - The switch allows you to get the
    traditional Tele neck & bridge pickup combination, and it also allows you to turn all three pickups on at once.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The problem is that certain parts, or the guitar as a whole, may not be Fender-made. There are so many companies that build Fender-spec parts, as well as luthiers who can copy, clone, and build parts themselves, that it would be impossible to say without taking a VERY close look. It could be a custom body with a Fender neck, a Fender body with an aftermarket neck...

I bought a Fender Nashville Tele years ago, and had Warmoth cut me a pickguard so I could put a standard Strat pickup in both the neck and middle positions. The rest of the guitar (besides pickguard and pickups) was all MIM Nashville Tele.

I did see a guitar on eBay years ago that sounds similar to what you describe, except the one I saw was a one-off guitar built in the Fender Cali custom shop.

Also, it's worth noting that the Nashville Teles all had a standard Tele neck/headstock. The Strat-style body contours on a Tele body, however, are fairly unique. I should know... I want one!

Anxiously awaiting some pics!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    i'll get one up tonight or tomorrow. i promise.
    this is a fender through and through. i stumbled across a picture in my searching of another one. so i know more than one exist. its a 50th anniversary MIJ model.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/qtullydoyle/DSC05540.jpg
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/qtullydoyle/DSC05542.jpg
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/qtullydoyle/DSC05543.jpg
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/qtullydoyle/DSC05547.jpg
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/qtullydoyle/DSC05545.jpg

**excuse the blurry pictures. my girlfriends camera is broken.**
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104

Also, it's worth noting that the Nashville Teles all had a standard Tele neck/headstock. The Strat-style body contours on a Tele body, however, are fairly unique. I should know... I want one!

MIG,,, I know you can do it, man!
    I used a belt sander on mine and it worked great.

Using fine finish carpentry tools:D
    DSC05152.jpg

You do have to hand sand it to finish it, though.
    DSC06368.jpg
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I just want that particular guitar to be perfect, and I don't trust my woodworking abilities enough to try. Well, that and I don't have any tools...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.