What are the best combo amps for various music styles?

bandagedhandbandagedhand Posts: 25
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
EG

Standard Rock
Punk
Metal
Funk
etc
etc
i wish i was a messenger and all the news was good (the guitar riff in the background)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Traynors
    :D
    You cant go wrong with a Traynor

Marshalls are good for various music as well, but their head and cab sound better than any of their combos

Fender amps are great as well, amazing clean channel, just have to put a pedal infront of it

The Vox AC30CC2 was my first love to buy but I couldn't afford it

depends on your price range
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • The orange 30w combo sounds amazing. They can be a bit hard to find though, and are not cheap. If I had the money to spend, that's what I would buy.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The best combos?

best is too subjective but I'll take a shot there are tons of others I'm sure

Standard Rock - Bogner Shiva, Matchless DC-30 Bad Cat Tone Cat

Metal - Mesa Road King, Diezel

Punk - any of the Metal amps really but dirty them up a bit more, maybe Fender Twins, oh, an alltime favorite, the Ernie Ball Music Mans, 70's Super Reverbs, Tweed bassmans, hiwatts add fuzz, hair color and stir. The richer kids would have old Oranges maybe even a hip old Park. Generally Ernie Ball Music Man + Fuzz Factory.

Funk - Fender Bassman or Super Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Mesa Blue Angel, F50, Dr Z Z-28 add Killer fat wah pedal and envelope filter (Mutron/EH etc.)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I would say the mesa f-50 based on repuation for rock and metal.. Those things are like gold. By that I mean if you put one on ebay its guaranteed to sell for probably 80% of what you bought it for.

My hiwatt DC40 is really nice, they are pretty cheap (6-800US) for the quality you get.

I have heard so much ranting about traynors from board members they must be amazing :)

Oranges might be nice but cost an arm and a leg. I think some of the coolest things you can do in amp shopping is to find rarities. For instance, the oldest mesa .22s from the early 80's were all class A amps. They switched to class a/b after a short time, but now you can find one of these amps which sound (I have heard) insane for like 400US on ebay once in a blue moon. There are many other weird amps like this that people just don't know about (kinda like the DC40) so you can get a super amp for cheap.

My point about the F-50 wasn't that you should get it cause you could sell it one day :), it was that the amp has such an amazing reputation that it is constantly sought after by musicians.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I would say the mesa f-50 based on repuation for rock and metal.. Those things are like gold. By that I mean if you put one on ebay its guaranteed to sell for probably 80% of what you bought it for.

My hiwatt DC40 is really nice, they are pretty cheap (6-800US) for the quality you get.

I have heard so much ranting about traynors from board members they must be amazing :)

Oranges might be nice but cost an arm and a leg. I think some of the coolest things you can do in amp shopping is to find rarities. For instance, the oldest mesa .22s from the early 80's were all class A amps. They switched to class a/b after a short time, but now you can find one of these amps which sound (I have heard) insane for like 400US on ebay once in a blue moon. There are many other weird amps like this that people just don't know about (kinda like the DC40) so you can get a super amp for cheap.

My point about the F-50 wasn't that you should get it cause you could sell it one day :), it was that the amp has such an amazing reputation that it is constantly sought after by musicians.

+1 for all that stuff.

The DC40's are really cool as are the older 80's Hiwatt Bulldog combos even though they aren't really all that sought after. The Studio Stages are cool too.

I'm still a big fan of Rivera, especially the Chubsters.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.