Amp: Traynor YCV40 vs Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville

bandagedhandbandagedhand Posts: 25
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Both these amps are in my price-range...
I just wondering what pros & cons each of these have and what all you experienced people think i should go for...

Any thoughts?
i wish i was a messenger and all the news was good (the guitar riff in the background)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ha!!

I think we might be in the same boat my friend :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=163899

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=165194

Check out some of my threads, everyone around here has been really helpful. :)

Let me hear about your findings, and we'll be sure to talk more about these amps.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • I've done the research too and the Traynor is the winner. It sounds amazing for an amp at this price and it's built a lot better than the Fender.

Had mine for over a year now and still love every minute of it. No problems with it whatsoever. I usually play through a 2x12 cab with greenbacks, although the stock celestion isn't all that bad to begin with.

Anyhow, it's ultimately up to you and your ears to decide, but I'd go for the Traynor hands down.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • I've done the research too and the Traynor is the winner. It sounds amazing for an amp at this price and it's built a lot better than the Fender.

Had mine for over a year now and still love every minute of it. No problems with it whatsoever. I usually play through a 2x12 cab with greenbacks, although the stock celestion isn't all that bad to begin with.

Anyhow, it's ultimately up to you and your ears to decide, but I'd go for the Traynor hands down.

Check out that deal I can get on that Deluxe though.....

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • if you go with the YCV40 go with the WR...IMO it sounds 10x better because of the Vintage 30 speaker...and plus it looks 20000x better
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Depends overall on what you want for a tone, I prefer the Traynor, never cared for the Fender Hot Rod series at all. I wish fender would just reissue a 50 bassman head and be done with it. But thats my opinion
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • yeah i was wondering about the YCV40WR (wine red) model too.

Apart from the colour, is it basically the same amp with a Celestion "Vintage 30" speaker instead of a Celestion "70/80" speaker?

And does the "vintage 30" speaker really make that much difference? Would i be better off buying a Traynor 2 by 12 extension cabinet to go with it?
    i wish i was a messenger and all the news was good (the guitar riff in the background)
  • yeah i was wondering about the YCV40WR (wine red) model too.

Apart from the colour, is it basically the same amp with a Celestion "Vintage 30" speaker instead of a Celestion "70/80" speaker?

And does the "vintage 30" speaker really make that much difference? Would i be better off buying a Traynor 2 by 12 extension cabinet to go with it?

the speaker IMO is way better. It smoothes out the overdrive a little bit more IMO....it gives you a warmer richer sound, its a great fuckin speaker...its also a little bit louder than the other speaker

i wouldn't buy the 2x12 cabinet yet because the amp is fuckin loud when you turn it up, but i would get wheels for it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Sounds like a different speaker is the way to go. Do u think then that maybe i should get the regular YCV40 model and put a different kind of Celestion in it? Like a "greenback" or something? Or is the "vintage 30" one of the best Celsetions and i should go with that?

And how heavy is it comparitively? I know how heavy a hot rod deluxe is. Is it roughly the same as that or much heavier?

Thanks for the help by they way....
  • Sounds like a different speaker is the way to go. Do u think then that maybe i should get the regular YCV40 model and put a different kind of Celestion in it? Like a "greenback" or something? Or is the "vintage 30" one of the best Celsetions and i should go with that?

And how heavy is it comparitively? I know how heavy a hot rod deluxe is. Is it roughly the same as that or much heavier?

Thanks for the help by they way....

well you get used to carrying it like I do, I think its 45 or 50 pounds. I would go with the Vintage 30 personally I like that speaker quite a lot.
  • well you get used to carrying it like I do, I think its 45 or 50 pounds. I would go with the Vintage 30 personally I like that speaker quite a lot.

They don't have it at the store near me :(:(

I'm thinking about getting them to order it to try out :)

I was even thinking about tryin' the 20WR??

.NJD.
  • lezcufflezcuff Posts: 46
    Weight is important. check out harmony-central.com for reviews.
    Personally (and I can only advise about that which I have actually experienced) I use a fender blues deluxe which sounds great with my acoustic and sounds very very nice with a strat. Can't slag off the other amp, but I can say that the fender amp is very reliable.

Dance and Sing along with Shed Devils at http://www.sheddevils.com/
  • They don't have it at the store near me :(:(

I'm thinking about getting them to order it to try out :)

I was even thinking about tryin' the 20WR??

supposed to be not as good, but still nice...i wouldnt be expecting to be gigging with that amp though...i would replace the speaker as well

im thinking of getting one of those for college...i have a list of amps to try out for college dorm level, so yeah
  • Post the possible College Dorm amps Hail Hail, thats my market I've heard mixed reviews but so far on my list is Fender Blues or Pro Junior, the WR20 Traynor, and the Crate Palominos.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    Post the possible College Dorm amps Hail Hail, thats my market I've heard mixed reviews but so far on my list is Fender Blues or Pro Junior, the WR20 Traynor, and the Crate Palominos.

Realistically a dorm amp is, no amp... You can't expect to be satified with tone and volume unless your neighbours are desatisfied.... My buddy brought his Traynor YC20WR (whatever the 15watt wine red model is) and found it to be a waste of space... He couldn't crank it to a volume with a noticible tone differnce from his Marshall MG15 ss amp.... So eventually he decided just to leave the traynor at home and keep his shitty solid state marshall in the dorm.... I have the same amp, and although i hate it, i cant justify buying a new tube amp unless i can fully benifit from it... Hell i can't even get the little that my marshall has to offer out of it in this rat cage called a dorm room...
    My advice, something with a headphone jack or extremely low wattage... Think cheap as well, b/c chicks dig guys who play guitars with shitty amps as much as they dig ones with $5000 rigs... cheap amp = more beer money and same amount of chicks! :)
  • I actually can get away with cranking it a bit plus I can bring it home and crank it there, I had a small Marshall solid state there but it just isn't doing the trick anymore
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"