How Long To Learn YL?

ReleaseLetharmanReleaseLetharman Posts: 141
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
How long do you think it will take someone like me to learn it (been playing for about 8-10 months)

And how long did it take for those of you that can play it?
http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=2848604&posted=1#post2848604

The First Casualties Of WorldWideSuicide.....Viva La Pearl Jam!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If YL is Yellow Ledbetter? It's not too hard. The solos can be tricky, but the main lick and the rest isn't too tough. Go to Given to Wail.com to get the notes.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • I think it is very hard, just to line up the tabs with the actual music, cause there are so many notes and like slides to nowhere and stuff that are just vague. It's the kinda song that it's much easier to be taught than to teach yourself. I still can't play the main riff, and I can play the solo. I just need someone to show it to me, or gimme a more basic version of the main lick with all the slides to nowhere and barely audible stuff he does. If you could just learn the meat of the riff first it would be easier.

The solo might be out of your league at this point. I'm sure you could do it but it may take very long for you to be able to. For ledbetter solo you have to be a pretty profficient bender, and be a competent pentatonic scaler. Like anything on guitar if you start out slow and speed up after alot of practice you can do it. The problem here is some things might not sound right to you at a slow speed making it hard to learn.

I say it might be a fun challeneg and you should atleast try it.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • depends how good you want to play it really...

Your first mistake in learning the guitar: you're trying to schedule what you can and can't do. They're one in the same,.. just try whatever you feel like and practice.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • The solo is quite possibly the easiest in the world, learn it, but don't worry about getting the rest of the song note-for note, it will drive you insane.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • "The solo is quite possibly the easiest in the world"

uh..... wishlist
    :)

EDIT

No seriously though I think the solo is pretty difficult if you really want it to sound right. Lotsa people can play the notes I'm sure, I have my doubts as to how many can make it sound right.
  • "The solo is quite possibly the easiest in the world"

uh..... wishlist
    :)

EDIT

No seriously though I think the solo is pretty difficult if you really want it to sound right. Lotsa people can play the notes I'm sure, I have my doubts as to how many can make it sound right.
    true of both songs there.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • HalesHales Posts: 13
    Sorry I know this thread is about YL but........ if I was a real real beginner would you reckon I could master "off he goes"??

Hales
    LOVE MANY, TRUST FEW
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Hales wrote:
    Sorry I know this thread is about YL but........ if I was a real real beginner would you reckon I could master "off he goes"??

Hales
    its not that hard (OHG). The hardest part is the rhythmn, NOT the tabulature and chords. It is a fun song to play and sing to. As for Yellow Ledbetter, it DOES take a while to get it EXACTLY right. As for getting it close, not too bad - a month or 2 maybe. I ve been playing for about 8 years, and I've practically mastered it. If anyone needs tabulature, I have come up with my own for almost every PJ song...PM me

all4
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    I've been playing for about 8 months and I can play a rough version of it and get it to sound quite good. However I think it'll be a long time before I can play it like Mike. I can't fret notes with my thumb very well and my bends aren't very good. The other thing is i don't bother looking at the tab anymore. I just use the basic chords as a guide and go from there.
  • If you've been playing 8-10 months you should be able to learn just about any pj song in a couple of hours, the rythm anyway.I learned yl in about 15 minutes and I'm a drummer.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • Bob Weir wrote:
    If you've been playing 8-10 months you should be able to learn just about any pj song in a couple of hours, the rythm anyway.I learned yl in about 15 minutes and I'm a drummer.

i agree, and then i don't.

i think some on here have said it best.
    you can learn the lead lick fairly easy ... essentialy just a hammer on to an E chord to start, followed by a simple pick around this barre, down to picking around the B chord, then to the A chord, a little more picking, then to the 1st position E.

But the real trick, like some have been saying, is in the intracacies.
    Mike excels at mixing up his playing on this song (otherwise it'd be so boring) ... and even though i can play the song fairly solid all the way throught to the solo .... if i attempt to put on a live version and play with it, i sound like shit. because i'm just playing by route ... and mike has it in his soul.

its in the bends, and the improvs between chords.
    its not something you're gonna learn overnight.
    :(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • covincovin Posts: 42
    I've been playing guitar about a year and a half, and I started YL the other day. I have the main riff down right now, but I haven't felt like moving on with the rest of the song. I'm having fun trying to add my own flair to it. It's harder to do on acoustic guitar, I suppose, but it's still a kick to see what kind of different sounds I can throw in.

I think it's a rather hard song to learn as a beginner or intermediate player. A lot of guitarists will say anything that doesn't involve twenty meaures of 32nd notes over eight consecutive key changes is "easy," but that's mostly self-congratulation. I've seen it in every class of musician since I effortlessly conducted my own quadruple-movement symphonic overture at the age of 9.

But seriously, don't let it discourage you--just because you're having a hard time doesn't mean you lack talent, it just means that what you're doing ain't simple! It's easy to lose faith, very easy, but if you stick to it, I promise that the value of the reward will be much greater than the price of frustration.
  • when I first started playing guitar a Played for about a year before my first guitar lesson. And I Thought to myself..... If I ever learn Yellow Ledbetter, I will be soo happy that I don't car about learning anything else....... Well after playing for about a year I went to my first guitar lesson, and he showed me Yellow Ledbetter......
  • "A lot of guitarists will say anything that doesn't involve twenty meaures of 32nd notes over eight consecutive key changes is "easy," but that's mostly self-congratulation."

So true. The most annoying thing about the guitar community.
  • I haven't followed up on YL too much recently (school/work) but I just learned hail hail in about 45 mins. :D
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=2848604&posted=1#post2848604

The First Casualties Of WorldWideSuicide.....Viva La Pearl Jam!
  • I haven't followed up on YL too much recently (school/work) but I just learned hail hail in about 45 mins. :D

haha me too recently, in the beginning i had a bit of trouble with the minor sharp chords and the Fsus2 but now i'm nailing it. I really miss a second guitar at the bridge and outro though.
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~