have you ever smashed a guitar?

SoLATisASoLATisA Posts: 215
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i want to so bad!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• One time my friend kicked me in the stomach and I fell back on his acoustic and smashed it...does that count?
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • not purposely. I knocked over my flying v one time on stage and broke off the headstock, which was an expensive repair. i should have smashed it because it has not been the same ever since.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • jdecker12jdecker12 Posts: 41
    no, and never will. I could never bring myself to do it
  • a cheap-o $99 squire bullet with two drywall screws holding the neck on...stayed in tune for about 1/2 a song...(it was branded a "smash guitar" by our drummer) but it was still REAL cool although I knew before the song that I was gonna smash it. now our singer on the other hand...let's just say he's got a lot of pent-up aggression.
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • i thought about smashing the first electric i ever owned because it is total shit, but i couldn't bring myself to do it. i am too sentimental i guess.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    I can't smash any of my guitars... I have a $100 Ibanez starter bass, but I still can't smash it... I can't imagine it would make me feel good for more than 5 minutes... then I'd be like, "Oh...a smashed guitar"
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • A long time ago I almost did, in the heat of the moment on stage, once. I had it overhead, then I stopped and gave it to a kid in the audience. You never know who could use a guitar!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I'm the same way. The first guitar I ever got was a $99 Rogue that my dad got me about 6-7 years ago when I told him I was interested in learning guitar. I had it at a gig my band played a couple years ago as a back-up and the moment called for me to smash it, but I just couldn't bring myself to even walk over to it for fear that I would go through with it and regret it.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    in the sixth grade i el-kabonged a friend with his acoustic guitar....his dad was very mad at me.......
  • soapyrowssoapyrows Posts: 235
    no what a waste of a beautiful instrument, i coudn't do it!
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • i smashed an old guitar of mine one night at a bonfire at my cousins house. it was an old harmony acoustic that didnt stay in tune at all and the string were about a mile from the fret board. it was kinda fun for the moment but its not that memorable
    And in that moment, I swear we were infinite
  • I agree with who's_pearl jam. If you're that sick of it, give it to someone who needs it. Someone will love it. With my luck I would smash it and a piece would fly up and hit me in the eye anyway.

Share the love.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    i dropped my acoustic down a flight of stairs when i was drunk. it got all fucked up. :(
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    Originally posted by forgetmyface
    i smashed an old guitar of mine one night at a bonfire at my cousins house. it was an old harmony acoustic that didnt stay in tune at all and the string were about a mile from the fret board. it was kinda fun for the moment but its not that memorable

holy shit, i smashed my old harmony acoustic that didn't stay in tune too. did you set it on fire like i did?
  • meraphixmeraphix Posts: 15
    Money's an issue for me.
    ÎÒ߀ÊÇ»îÖø¡±µÄ - ²»ÍüÓ›ÄÇ...There aint gonna be a middle no more...ÊÇÄãºÍ²»ÈκÎÈËÁíÍ⣬ÄãÊÇ¿¿×Ô¼ºµÄÁ¦Á¿µÄ¡£Äþ«ÈAºÍ²»·Åé_Ëü¡£
  • corduroycorduroy Posts: 117
    My first electric was crap. I got it in korea when i was stationed there. it was made of particle board, i think! definetly not solid oak! When I got a new guitar (telecaster) I took it outside and "disposted" of it Townshend style!

Also, I was in the Ten Club Line outside Gund Arena in '03 and the strap came off my acoustic twice! Both times, my guitar hit the pavement...i has a few nicks and chunks taken out but it still plays beautifully!
    1994 - Cleveland, 1998 - Cleveland, 2000 - Columbus, 2003 - Cleveland/Columbus, 2006 - Cleveland, 2009 - Philly 1, 2010 - Columbus/Cleveland, 2013 - Pittsburgh/Buffalo, 2014 - Cincy/Detroit, 2016-Lexington/Wrigley #1, 2018- Fenway 1, 2022-Nashville, 2024-Seattle1/Noblesville/Baltimore
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    nope. i could have done it to an old crappy electric i had once, but i gave it to a friend. some day though.

the guys that work at a local store here were telling me how they will get some really cheap ass guitars in on trades. they know they won't be able to sell the guitar, so they take them out back and smash them or have distance throwing contests. then they toss all the broken pieces up on the roof. best part of their job i guess.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • jdecker12jdecker12 Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    the guys that work at a local store here were telling me how they will get some really cheap ass guitars in on trades. they know they won't be able to sell the guitar, so they take them out back and smash them or have distance throwing contests. then they toss all the broken pieces up on the roof. best part of their job i guess.

I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd give them to some kid, like a couple of posts before said, before I smashed them.
  • I had an old Les Paul Jr. (my first) and i wanted to smash it but i gave to my bro. instead...big mistake. he has totally destroyed it. He has stupid stickers all over it and it just sucks now.
    I am the Lizard King I can do anything
  • Gus_3218Gus_3218 Posts: 59
    Originally posted by mojorison_75
    With my luck I would smash it and a piece would fly up and hit me in the eye anyway.

haha, I hear u
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
  • Pah you guys with your 99$ guitars
    I've got a 35 year old 50$ guitar (don't come up with inflation)
    my dad bought it at the age of 15 with his pocket money(guess he had to save up for a long time)
    Some months ago we talked about guitars and he asked me wheter i would like to try to. first i did not want to then i tried at the moment i am even thinking about saving some money and buying myself a better guitar

fuck i am telling stories

i can't imagine to smash this guitar of my dad(he's still alive, don't worry), but i would like to smash a fuckin expensive guitar
    really give me a 3000€ 58 fender and i smash it after i playes this land is your land, this land is my land with D G A chords

BANZÄÄÄÄ
    BANZÄÄÄ

When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him
    By nine, he deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact, no trade-backs
    So this is what it's like to be an adult?
    If he only knew now what he knew then
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Posts: 662
    I've broken a lot of mic stands... those little bastards alway piss me off... our guitar player threw his guitar but it didn't break
    The most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway, is that its you, and that you're standing in the doorway.

I write down good reasons to freeze to death in my spiral ring notebook. But in the long tresses of your hair--I am a babbling brook.
  • Originally posted by Kwyjibo
    our guitar player threw his guitar but it didn't break

lol

this guy can't even finish the simplest things ^^
    BANZÄÄÄ

When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him
    By nine, he deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact, no trade-backs
    So this is what it's like to be an adult?
    If he only knew now what he knew then
  • HiwattHiwatt Posts: 19
    I smashed a $900 american strat after a 10 min version of voodoo child......i had been drinking quite heavily that night and the moment was right....I got it on video, i thought at very worst the neck would break off and that was fine because i wanted a new one. to my surprise the body broke in half before the neck did.....well worth it though