what kind of acoustic do I have?

alobaralobar Posts: 310
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I got this acoustic guitar passed on to me through a friend, but I don't know what brand it is! I've had no luck searching on the internet, so I was hoping somebody here could help me.

From what I know, it's a cheap beginner guitar from the 1950's. I'm pretty sure it's not full size. And all I have is a round emblem on the top of the head. Inside the round emblem it looks like two rings crossing, making an "X" shape. and there's also a line in the middle where the rings cross.

If anyone even knows a good website to check, that would be helpful. Thanks.
"I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alobar wrote:
    I got this acoustic guitar passed on to me through a friend, but I don't know what brand it is! I've had no luck searching on the internet, so I was hoping somebody here could help me.

From what I know, it's a cheap beginner guitar from the 1950's. I'm pretty sure it's not full size. And all I have is a round emblem on the top of the head. Inside the round emblem it looks like two rings crossing, making an "X" shape. and there's also a line in the middle where the rings cross.

If anyone even knows a good website to check, that would be helpful. Thanks.

If you could take a digi pic and post it on PhotoBucket for us to see, that might help...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v643/pizzamartini/?action=view&current=2005_0131guitar0028.jpg

there's a fuzzy full body picture (1 of 2) and a close up of the logo (2 of 2). The logo looks like an S and R to me...any other opinions? or facts...

• alobar wrote:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v643/pizzamartini/?action=view&current=2005_0131guitar0028.jpg

there's a fuzzy full body picture (1 of 2) and a close up of the logo (2 of 2). The logo looks like an S and R to me...any other opinions? or facts...

We're getting closer! Can't open the pic, though.
    The photobucket either needs a password, or somewhere in the options on the site, you check "Make photo public"
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Or you can give us the URL's for the individual pictures. They list it right underneath the thumbnails of the pics.

• That's a Sears & Roebuck. Made by Harmony, the same company that brought you: Harmony, Silvertone, Airline and Kay, just to name a few. They produced guitars under several names for different catalogs & retailers. This one was sold by Sears & Roebuck(that is an s&r on the headstock) from their catalog.

If there's no serial number on the back of the headstock there might be one on the inside of the guitar.

If it's pre 1975 it's American Made. Made in Chicago at the Harmony plant.
  • Mojo,

If you just knew that off the top of your head you are the friggin man.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Mojo,

If you just knew that off the top of your head you are the friggin man.

I had an S&R for a time and did my homework. I'm also just a general guitar nerd, especially when it comes to acoustics. Those old harmony's are an American treasure, by the way.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I had an S&R for a time and did my homework. I'm also just a general guitar nerd, especially when it comes to acoustics. Those old harmony's are an American treasure, by the way.

there's a cool 2 tone silvertone at http://www.philsguitars.com for pretty cheap.

I've been looking for an old archtop that isn't ridiculously expensive. It's cool you knew that, I had no idea.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • That's an awesome old Silvertone. It looks like it's wearing a super hero costume. The Kay on that page is pretty sharp too.
    That's a Sears & Roebuck. Made by Harmony, the same company that brought you: Harmony, Silvertone, Airline and Kay, just to name a few. They produced guitars under several names for different catalogs & retailers. This one was sold by Sears & Roebuck(that is an s&r on the headstock) from their catalog.

If there's no serial number on the back of the headstock there might be one on the inside of the guitar.

If it's pre 1975 it's American Made. Made in Chicago at the Harmony plant.

COOL!!!!!!

thanks, mojorisin! Yeah, there's a serial number on the back of the headstock (319.12120000) and it says it's made in the U.S.A. I had to take it in to get the bridge glued back on and the guy said that kind of guitar is sought after for how its sound cuts through when playing with other acoustics. I had forgotten what he told me about the name of the guitar; he probably said Harmony. He definitely didn't say Sears and Roebuck! I'll remember that now!

So, i'm curious......what year was my guitar made and how much is it worth?

• alobar wrote:
    COOL!!!!!!

thanks, mojorisin! Yeah, there's a serial number on the back of the headstock (319.12120000) and it says it's made in the U.S.A. I had to take it in to get the bridge glued back on and the guy said that kind of guitar is sought after for how its sound cuts through when playing with other acoustics. I had forgotten what he told me about the name of the guitar; he probably said Harmony. He definitely didn't say Sears and Roebuck! I'll remember that now!

So, i'm curious......what year was my guitar made and how much is it worth?

Age might be hard to tell... there may be a date stamp inside the soundhole. Usually a letter, then two numbers (for 19XX).

As far as value... sorry, not a real collector's item. They're cool guitars and they play and sound good, but you're probably looking at a value of around $300-500 at the most.

I love funky older acoustics... my first acoustic was a Kalamazoo, which I found out later was made by Gibson.
  • Look inside the soundhole real close. There should be a date stamp inside, though it may be hard to make out. It should look something like f 66 r. F=fall, 66=1966, r is possibly a work shift number. Mine was S or F 70 - er, something. I don't exactly remember anymore. I remember the 70, but the other two are a little fuzzy.

While these guitars aren't worth a tone they are kinda collectable these days and are known for some sounding quite good. Many great old blues players played such instruments. Ledbelly played an old kay archtop i belive.

Also condisder that $300 or so isn't bad for a guitar that costed $18 to $50 dollars in the catalog way back when. I think the S&R parlor guitar I had sold for like $18 when it was new.
    yeah, $300 is way more than I thought it was worth! That's pretty cool. BUt I think I;m going to hang on to it for awhile. It is a pretty good learner guitar. I have to press extra hard on the strings and the action is ridiculously high. Which reminds me......

How much do you all think it would cost to get the action of the strings closer to the fretboard?

• alobar wrote:
    How much do you all think it would cost to get the action of the strings closer to the fretboard?

Depends on what it needs...

Re-shaping the bridge would be relatively inexpensive. Neck adjustment, pretty cheap. Re-cutting and shaping the nut... much more expensive.

Take it to a guitar tech and tell them what you want. It's commonly called a "set-up." Most places charge $25-50, depending... my guy charges $100, but he's GOOD.