traveling with gear?

evenflowrocksevenflowrocks Posts: 96
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK so my band is playing a couple of shows where the gear is being supplied except for guitars and pedals and shit like that. has anyone here had to travel on a plane with guitars before? I'm taking 2, a PRS and an Epiphone Les Paul both of which have locking hardshell cases but is this enough? the LP's case is a dead giveaway. and also I have a SOFT- shell pedal board that I thought I would take as a carry-on but then I got to thinkijng that all those metal boxes with circuitry and swithches may look like, well you know, a bomb under x-ray. I'd hate to miss my flight trying to explain Telesonic's OD pedal. any thoughts? all help is greatly appreciated. thanks, Scott

oh and by the way, the shows are in Puerto Rico so I don't know if that changes things?

http://www.evenflowrocks.com
www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    make sure your cases are ATA certified, if they are, the airline must compensate you for your loss if it's damaged. I have seen a Taylor case mangled subsequently the guitar as well by a baggage compress on a 747. Not pretty.

You might have to pack the pedals in between your cloting or slide the soft case in your suit case surrounded by clothing. As anal as they've been lately you don't want to be spending all that time in security.

If you are flying with your guitars though definately call gibson and PRS and check the level of protection of the case, if they aren't ATA certified, you can slip the guitars inside a keyboard case and it will be suitable. That's pretty much what the ATA spec level protection is.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040607205735024098245194402160/g=guitar/search/d=tp?q=ATA+Flight+Case
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • looks like I should've checked into this sooner seeing as how the trip is in 3 weeks. I'll have to call and check on these cases, I've got plenty of friends who work at music stores maybe I can rent some flight cases yeah? thanks for all the info...much appreciated

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The most popular method is to put the guitar in it's case, and then put the whole thing inside a full-sized keyboard ATA case. If you can rent a couple ATA keyboard cases that will hold your guitar, case and all, then that's what I'd do.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    The key here is knowing how full the flights are. Check with the airline.
    If you can't get flight cases, like Paco and MIG said, get some heavy boxes and bubble wrap and pack the whole case in the box. You are protecting the case from sharp blows and shock. Make sure that your guitars fit in their existing cases, too. The headstock/ neck connection is usually what breaks, so if you support it with a little foam rubber there, inside the case, it helps. If you are flying staight through, it's only one stop, if you are making connections, it's a couple of different handlings and droppings. :eek:
    Everyone says to loosen the strings because of cabin pressure, but I never did that. Cabin pressure doesn't affect the guitar, bad handling does. I loosened by one step, but if you go much farther than that, then you have to retighten and fiddle around with the neck when you get there.
    Wrap some duct tape around the latches, too, but put some old rags or newspaper under the duct tape so it doesn't mark up the case.

Sometimes you can request a gate or special check in at the airport, too. That means the guitars go from the gate to the plane, rather than the conveyor belt to the grumpy baggage handlers.

Sometimes you can carry one guitar on in a gig bag if the plane isn't full, but I know those flights to San Juan, and San Juan airport. They tend to be packed. You never know what's going to happen in that airport, so pack well! Knowing a little spanish helps in San Juan, as it's easier to schmooz with the check in.

I almost always got one guitar on board with a small padded gig bag, though. You have to smile and be polite. They can put it in the coat closet on the plane. It's a risk, but at least you have one with you. (Ahem,, the PRS:)) If there are several stops, you have more chance that the one of the flights won't let you do it. The key here is that you don't have any backup packing for it, and if they reject you so you have to plead with them and tell them that it is a very expensive guitar.
    You can probably wrap your pedals in tee shirts and carry them on.
    Especially the Telesonic! I have the first one and I friggin love that thing!
    The electronics don't scare people, the dogs will be sniffing for bombs.

Say buenos dias to the little beagle dog in san juan! He's wagging his tail and cute, but he's checking you for drugs and explosives.:D

Have a great time.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • thanks guys! I actually called the TSA (transportation security admin) and they told me that more than likely they'll make me check the pedals. damn. she actually suggested that I "stop by" the airport and talk with the security people about how I should transport the pedals! yeah right. but anyway I am checking on some flight cases or as a band we may just ship all our guitars to the hotel via UPS. any thought on that? thanks again, scott

Originally posted by evenflowrocks
    as a band we may just ship all our guitars to the hotel via UPS. any thought on that? thanks again, scott

A fabulous thought... pack it all together tight, and make sure it's insulated well, and then insure the living f*** outta that package!
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by evenflowrocks
    thanks guys! I actually called the TSA (transportation security admin) and they told me that more than likely they'll make me check the pedals. damn. she actually suggested that I "stop by" the airport and talk with the security people about how I should transport the pedals! yeah right. but anyway I am checking on some flight cases or as a band we may just ship all our guitars to the hotel via UPS. any thought on that? thanks again, scott

Any carrier you use, your equipment is going to have to be put on a plane. Read mcgreadyisgod's post carefully. Insulation, especially if you have "tube" amps. A layer of bubble wrap. Cargo holes are freezing.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Read mcgreadyisgod's post carefully.

Bob's post was a hell of a lot better than mine...
  • Who's PJ is right. Pack well and try to keep a guitar with you, but it's not always possible.
    I've been travelling a hell of a lot lately with equipment. Shipping UPS or an international carrier is a good idea if it's one destination. They handle your equipment way better than baggage handlers, and the temperatures are more constant because your guitar is not riding in the plane and not in the freezing cold baggage hold.

If you do check it on the plane, like WPJ said, wrapping it bubble wrap will insulate it from the cold. Temperature changes will shock the guitar more than air pressure changes.
    Gone To California
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Originally posted by youthinkyou'reold!
    Who's PJ is right.

If you do check it on the plane, like WPJ said, wrapping it bubble wrap will insulate it from the cold. Temperature changes will shock the guitar more than air pressure changes.

Did I see you say "Who's PJ is RIGHT?
    Whoa,,, you're softening, bro'!

You need to change your location, too. We're not in Africa anymore!:)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart