PRS coil tap ready pickups

evenflowrocksevenflowrocks Posts: 96
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
so I took the epiphone pickups out of my les paul and installed PRS McCartys. they're coil tap ready though I didnt take advantage of that. is there any thing I need to do with the extra wire for the coil tap ar do I just leave that loose? the guitar kinda sounds strat-like at times almost like i need to connect that wire to get the full humbucker sound. I contacted PRS and they sent me a schematic for using the coil tap and that doesnt help so any help here would be great! ps. the epi is really my wifes guitar so ssshhh don't tell her. peace
www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    You're playing a strat now!:D

You need to solder the two coil tap pickup wires together to get both sides of the humbucker. You're only playing one side of the humbucker now. If you were splitting the pickup each of those wires would go to a switch that would cut out one side of the humbucker. Since you're not doing that, you connect the two taps. Try just twisting the leads together first, and if that's it, then solder them. Leave wire left over for when you want to split them later, though. They are great sounding pickups.
    I don't know the prs McCarty wire colors off hand, but this is off the seymour duncan site to wire theirs up:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics/2hb_1vol_1tone_3way.html

Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

• so it turns out that the prs pu-s have only the white wire. they're not 4 conductor. so there's only the braided wire which inside contains the black wire, and a single thin white wire. I think I must re-try contacting prs on this. but thanks for the info anyway! peace
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks