PowerBook connected to my 4-track problem

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have tried connecting my G4 PowerBook to my Tascam 4-track in order to record some of GarageBand's drum kit loops. I get sound and successfully recorded loops I liked, but it has lots of static and isn't clean upon playback. Any suggestions on a particular brand cable I could use when linking these two machines up? Or any advice on connecting properly?
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    you might be overloading your signal at the level of your sound card. im not to familiar with macs but you should have a setting that enables you to set/view the level of you line input.

thats what comes to me off the top of my head. does that particular cable deliver clear signal when used in other applications? What type of connectors, im guessing stereo mini - stereo mini.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I would disagree... if you're getting the sound, just lots of noise as well, you probably aren't getting the signal hot enough going into your 4-track. Either you need to turn up the level of output on the computer or turn up the input of the recorder. Just be sure to listen for distortion (when the signal gets fuzzy).

I would assume this is a cassette 4-track, not a digital? If so, analog tape is inherently noisy. Some recorders have built-in noise reduction, you could try that... but it's just the nature of the beast.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.