Too late to start?

marc34marc34 Posts: 221
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I took guitar lessons when I was younger but never followed through....Now I have some free time I was thinking about picking it back up as a hobby and learn to play, take lessons, etc....Is this realistic at 28 yrs old? Honesty is appreciated
Hartford 96
Mansfield 98 x 2
Mansfield 00 x2
Mansfield 03 x 3
Boston 04 VFC x 2
Hartford 06
Boston 06 x 2
Hartford 08
Mansfield 08 x 2
EV Boston 08 x 2
Hartford 10
Boston 10
EV Providence 11
EV Boston 11
EV Hartford 11
Worcester 13 x 2
Hartford 13
Buffalo 13
Baltimore 13
Fenway 2016 x 2
Hot Stove 2017
Fenway 2018 x 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I started two years ago and I'm 32. It's never too late. There are tons of tutorials online and giventowail.com has great tablature for almost every song PJ ever did. Go for it. You'll be glad you did!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • marc34marc34 Posts: 221
    Any tips?Suggestions? Did you pick up an accoustic? How far have you come along in the 2 years?
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06
    Boston 06 x 2
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield 08 x 2
    EV Boston 08 x 2
    Hartford 10
    Boston 10
    EV Providence 11
    EV Boston 11
    EV Hartford 11
    Worcester 13 x 2
    Hartford 13
    Buffalo 13
    Baltimore 13
    Fenway 2016 x 2
    Hot Stove 2017
    Fenway 2018 x 2
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    I agree, it's never too late if you have the time. I see lots of people give up after a short time because they think they'll never get it or thay don't have the desire to learn.

Anybody who can play will tell you it takes time and practice.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    bostonmarc wrote:
    Any tips?Suggestions? Did you pick up an accoustic? How far have you come along in the 2 years?

I learned the basics (tuning, scales, a few chords, etc) online and jumped into PJ tabs. I started on acoustic because I felt that would help me learn the fundamentals better (I've been told it's easy to learn bad habits starting on electric) and it was actually Thumbing My Way that inspired me to learn. I wouldn't say I'm great but I love it and I find that it's a great stress reducer. I really miss it if I don't play a little every day.

I've found that putting on Beneroya and playing along has really helped me. I usually have giventowail.com on my computer while I do it so if I get stuck on a chord or riff I can check it out. I'm also doing the same thing with Nirvana Unplugged. The important thing is to start. Even if it's just noodling around. If I never get good enough to take over for McCready someday that's ok with me - I just love to play!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Never too late to start. I'm 27 and have only been playing for a year and would like to think I've come a long way in that short span of time. Get a decent acoustic and find a good teacher. I pay $20 for a half hour, and its well worth it. Good luck!
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    DeLukin wrote:
    it was actually Thumbing My Way that inspired me to learn.

Awww thanks man ;)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • EvvoEvvo Posts: 195
    never. it took me 2 years to to really get into it, but if you are determined and willing to stick at it, its so rewarding
  • Like the other posts, I'd agree that it is never too late. Guitar playing will bring a huge amount of joy to your life. It really helps You get over a bad day or it can enhance a great one.
    An acoustic is a great way to start. Although an electric may be a little easier on Your fingers. The strings and frets are'nt quite as big on an electric. I often hear people talk about their finger tips hurting before they develop a calus.
    There are so many resources. Magazines, online, Books. Also check out live players(maybe in a club where You can get close enough to see well), You can really learn a lot.
    Lessons really help as well.

Enjoy!
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I'm 31 and just started. Bought me a nice little acoustic.

Got some lessons lined up....starting in a couple of weeks.

For now i'm learning some cords, doing scales, and trying out some tabs.

My fingers are numb!

:p

Good luck!
  • CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    its never too late.
    I need to finish writing.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    better late than never.... I'm 28 now.... took about 5 lessons back in my teens but didn't have the patience for it..... picked up a cheap electric and a nice Fender acoustic about 2 years ago and haven't looked back..... struggled at first with just some open chords and basic scales, but as soon as I could play barre chords everything started falling into place pretty quickly....
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    bostonmarc wrote:
    I took guitar lessons when I was younger but never followed through....Now I have some free time I was thinking about picking it back up as a hobby and learn to play, take lessons, etc....Is this realistic at 28 yrs old? Honesty is appreciated
    nope never too late started at 26. grest companion while the lady is watching bad television:)
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    http://www.guitarprinciples.com/

Best info I've ever received on playing. I've been playing for 10 years. I've been playing well for about a year...and it's all because of this book.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    My mom used to play as a young girl but then stopped. I bought her an acoustic last Christmas, she's 56 now. She's having fun. It's never to late. All depends on what you want to achieve I guess.
  • bostonmarc wrote:

yeah, i've been thinking about doing the same thing. i've never played any sort of instrument at all. in the last couple months though, i've just been getting the urge to learn how to play the guitar. starting lessons in a couple of weeks...
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    yeah, i've been thinking about doing the same thing. i've never played any sort of instrument at all. in the last couple months though, i've just been getting the urge to learn how to play the guitar. starting lessons in a couple of weeks...

I was the same way...I started back in march and while it's a challenge....when you get something, it's very cool.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    bostonmarc wrote:

It's never too late to start any instrument. People sometimes start much later than you.

Don't worry!!! :D:D:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    I've been laerning some stuff on a friends guitar the last month and I really wanna go on

so I've been thinking of buying an acoustic, but I don't really know what to buy...

any pointers?
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Great thread. A friend of mine just moved out of town and gave her guitar to me yesterday.

I have zero history with musical instruments so starting from scratch. I dont know a single chord...but I certainly have enough free time to learn right now!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
    Jamal wrote:
    I've been laerning some stuff on a friends guitar the last month and I really wanna go on

so I've been thinking of buying an acoustic, but I don't really know what to buy...

any pointers?

depends on what you want to spend.
    sennin wrote:
    depends on what you want to spend.
    About 250 to 300 euros, but it's d better last a few years then :p

• MeatwagonMeatwagon Posts: 108
    Never too old. 34 and started playing the bass about a year ago. Good stuff.
    Axis of justice.com
    Jamal wrote:
    About 250 to 300 euros, but it's d better last a few years then :p

That's plenty to buy a really decent guitar. I bought a decent acoustic for $240us. It's an Art & Lutherie. A great guitar for the money.

I'm not sure what's available in your area. I know http://www.musiciansfriend.com ships internationally. Check them out.

Look for something with a solid wood top in your price range.

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    sennin wrote:
    That's plenty to buy a really decent guitar. I bought a decent acoustic for $240us. It's an Art & Lutherie. A great guitar for the money.

I'm not sure what's available in your area. I know http://www.musiciansfriend.com ships internationally. Check them out.

Look for something with a solid wood top in your price range.

Just to throw some brands out there, my roommate plays a Seagull acoustic and loves it. I have a Dean Performer acoustic which is decent, even though I barely touch it since I've gone electric.
    What about Washburn, heard lots of great things about it

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    I started when i was 13 (I'm 15 now) and I wish I had started earlier, it's all relative. Guitar is the best thing that ever happened to me though.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?