Any sound or light techies ?

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Where do you guys work and what do you do !

I'm with Solotech in Montréal.. lighting technician..
-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    im a tech support and test and repair engineer for allen and heath.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    I really admire you guys. I always wanted to learn the science of lighting after I saw the cure for the first time. Did you go to school for it or just happen upon it?

My friend use to work for a sound company and we were going to start a light and sound design company called "Bitches with Switches". Never took off.
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    At my old high school, students were encouraged to become techies and learn the basics. When my old band played, the students made the whole lighting scheme. They head our practice set once and just went from there. It's awesome so see the production value that high school students who are just learning can do. I've always been interested in that stuff too.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    went to school ( I'm in my last session though ) in professional theatre/production.. I got hired last summer by Solotech. They are the fifth biggest company of sound/lighting and visual equipements in the world.

You can only read what you can find on the internet to have a basic knowledge of how it works.. Should try to give some help in events around. Work hard and you will learn fast. (:
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Did both Snd and Lx at uni and I've done a couple of gigs here and there since. Know enough to get by and follow orders. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Ahhhh fond memories -- I too began lighting tech in High School, all four years rose through the ranks until I was doing the main lighting for the big musicals all the plays, dances and what not. Continued on through College, setting up computerized lighting boards by that time for operas and musicals.

But my pinnacle achievement? Sure -- lighting for lil' rock band "Castle Black."

I quit and never went back after installing, reading the manuals, and setting all the automated lighting ques for a musical at college -- at the last moment, the director needed some lightning flashes. We had to set it up on a manual side dimmer board -- and he wanted me to sit through the entire musical and just do those flashes during one scene -- he would handle pushing the single button on the massive computer board for all the automated moves I'd programmed in over weeks and weeks.

Quit on the spot and never went back. Stupid kid I was!
    [sic] happens