In need of some advice for an acoustic guitar gift idea.

Space MonkeySpace Monkey Posts: 39
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello, thanks for your time. I'm curious as to what would be a good acoustic guitar for a novice guitar player. My brother has asked for one for Christmas, and I have no idea what to get him because I know very little about the instrument.

Things I need to consider in buying the acoustic:
- my brother has been playing for around a year, but not until recently has he become more interested in the instrument
- money is not a commodity, so cost is a factor; at the same time, I've never liked getting a cheap instrument, so is there a good middle-ground for this?
- I have managed to find some really good used stuff for myself, but since I don't know anything about the guitar, would it be wise to take this path?

Thanks for any input you can give.

Best regards,
Space Monkey
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031205124253012178006131192889/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/519722/

this is a good one under 200 bucks. I believe Washburn has one for $150.

Anything in that price range with a solid top will be fine.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • for a guy that's been playing for about he a year he may be lookin for something a little higher up. I would recommend the fender dg 20 ce. It's a beautiful guitar with great tone for under 400$. I has a sweet fishman pickup too if he ever decides to plug it in. There is a black model and natural colour. Check it out. Plays as smooth as an electric almost.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    for a guy that's been playing for about he a year he may be lookin for something a little higher up. I would recommend the fender dg 20 ce. It's a beautiful guitar with great tone for under 400$. I has a sweet fishman pickup too if he ever decides to plug it in. There is a black model and natural colour. Check it out. Plays as smooth as an electric almost.

I play a natural DG 22 CE with that same fishman p/u and a cutaway.

The maple is bright but sounds great plugged in and the foto flame looks cool.

MY next guitar will probably have rosewood back and sides and a cedar top.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thank you both, I appreciate your responses.