How do bands make it?

Space MonkeySpace Monkey Posts: 39
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey everyone, I'm in a rock band, just trying to get our music out to people. But it's hard. We just recorded a five-song EP by ourselves, with our own funds, etc. We're really driven on our own steam here, but it would be great to catch a break too.

So how do you catch breaks, as a musician in a band? Anyone else out there in a band have any tips, or experiences they'd like to share?

Here's my band, by the way: http://www.myspace.com/ensuingsilence
I'm the drummer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you have to play as many shows as you can. no matter what kind of promotions, radio, video, internet, flyers, whatever, it boils down to the fact that you play music, so you should promote yourselves with that. By playing as many shows, in as many places your slowly open up the "musical" network, and then you could be on your way up. By big band do you mean making millions? or an average, live-able 40-60 grand a year. to be good enough to have a house, car, family, etc, takes alot of work. i would focus on just having fun and enjoying your shows, because more musicians are below the break point, than above the break point.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Oh, I didn't mean big band -- although that'd be great. We'd love to make money doing this. We've been playing shows like mad, actually. But there's such an overwhelming emo/screamo scene, so it's hard to find good bands to network with. The hard part is getting contacts and connections, it seems.
    You're right though -- it's a good thing we enjoy playing the music.
  • festivals are a great way to meet people. in most cases festivals cater towards a style of music, metal, rock, blues, jazz, blue grass, country, unless its a reigional/cultural festival. its agood way to meet bands and band related people. its also good because some bands come from other locations, and then you could ask them about more events, etc. A good way to take some time out of it is to hire a booking agent through a reputable company. they will find locations that suit your band, and can get you in kahoots with other people.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19