Help! My pickups sound so dull...

nazcanlinesnazcanlines Posts: 26
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am playing a mexican squier stratocaster, and i replaced all the pickups. The bridge is a seymour duncan hot rails as is the neck, and the middle is a dimarzio fast track 1. The bridge pickup was installed by a technician at a local music store and the other two by my guitar teacher, who i trust knows enough to do the job properly, and he had the wiring diagrams. They are all wired as humbuckers. THe neck and middle pickups sound incredibly dull, as if someone is holding a pillow against the speaker. It sounds muffled. I am wondering what could be the problem, cause my bridge sounds good. Is it the wiring of the pickups? Are the humbuckers to heavy for the guitar? Is it maybe that my guitar is not great and therefore that is making it sound dull. COuld it be my amp? My amp is a standard 30 watt marshall amp/speaker combo, no to tubes or anything like that. Can anyone offer any insight?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Check the tone knobs. If you turn them and nothing happens, they are wired incorrectly. You may also need to change your pot values. 500 to 1 megohm for volume and tone. Chances are they didn't change your pots. 250K is too dark for humbuckers especially hot ones like you have.

go to http://www.stewmac.com and search for pots.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Control_pots_and_knobs/2/Control_Pots.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    They make squiers in mexico?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by pariah
    They make squiers in mexico?

yup, they used too.

It used to to be called the Squire Series (made in Mexico) denoted at the end of the headstock. Then Fender found out they could exploit Chinese 5 year olds for more profit and moved the Affinity series to china, while moving the Squire production to Sammick in Korea, who pretty much builds stuff for everyone. If it's made in Korea and it's an instrument, it's probably made by Sammick.

The fender factory in Ensenada builds all the Mexican built guitars now. It's about 20 miles from Corona, Calif where they build the Americans.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.